Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Portion Distortion Quizzes

Default Food Portion Distortion Quizzes

I was searching around about food portions and came across these quizzes.

It's insane how huge portions are now! In only twenty years we've managed to make double a regular portion, if not more, look normal to most people.

Quiz #1

Quiz #2
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

A*O

I firmly believe this is the single most significant factor in the Obesity Epidemic. People are greedy pigs with no self-control whatsoever. Period.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I'm horrible at guessing the exercise portion. I pretty much know the calories b/c of WW, but how much exercise to burn it off gets me every time. I usually underestimate.

Elite Member

i try to eat really healthy things so portions don't matter as much..like fresh fruit or cut vegetables..it's okay to have lots of those...

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I firmly believe this is the single most significant factor in the Obesity Epidemic. People are greedy pigs with no self-control whatsoever. Period.
    I agree, whenver I go to a restaruant I see usually huge portions of fattening foods but skimp on the vegetables, and even if there is any veggies served it's usually covered in salt and butter. People can always split the meal and save the rest in a doggie bag, but most would rather finish off everything instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority View Post
    I agree, whenver I go to a restaruant I see usually huge portions of fattening foods but skimp on the vegetables, and even if there is any veggies served it's usually covered in salt and butter. People can always split the meal and save the rest in a doggie bag, but most would rather finish off everything instead.
    Oh I absolutely agree with both of you. It's not about fat or cholesterol or trans fat (though they are a factor) for the most part, it's definitely about the portions. When I visited a foreign country a few years ago, I went to the local KFC and was absolutely shocked at how small their portions were compared to the U.S. Drink sizes were smaller, portions smaller, etc.

I myself am guilty of this, but I have been so conditioned to want to eat until I feel stuffed and totally uncomfortable. I can eat slow and do all those 'strategy' eating things, but it is hard to rid myself of that condition. I can no longer have hunger pangs, but I will continue to eat or want to eat until I'm stuffed. Those calories add up big time.

All my friends who went to the US for work or study reported back at how enormous the portions apparently are.

I have a fairly healthy appetite, but the two times I've been to American restaurants here (Applebees and Ruby Tuesday), I couldn't even finish up a hamburger, let alone a portion. Hell, my ex who's 6'4" and eats like a horse couldn't finish a portion!

Neat sites, thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post

Bloody hell that was funny. So true but funny. Greedy pigs indeed!

OCD

So true, I was just today staring at the microwave popcorn box, learning that a bag is supposed to serve 3 people!

I use to eat one bag all by my lonesome. That's 39 grams of fat!

Blech.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority View Post
    People can always split the meal and save the rest in a doggie bag, but most would rather finish off everything instead.
    I think this is the biggest mistake to make at a restaurant. You can get them to put half in a doggie bag right away so that you don't feel the compulsion to eat it. I don't know why portions are so huge even in Canada. I'd rather eat something absolutely delicious in a small portion than something covered in additives and grossness on a plate the size of the table.

A*O

People also equate quantity with 'value for money' so if they don't get a huge portion they think they are being ripped off. Most restaurant/diner food is ridiculously cheap anyway IMO but people still expect an overflowing plate. When we were in America we often used to order half portions but were happy to pay full price + tip only to be told this 'wasn't possible' for some reason. So we'd order one meal and share it which also caused problems for the waiting staff judging by there pissy attitude.
    Dame Edna Everage

This is kind of OT but I've been wondering. Eddie Izzard made a crack about Americans taking restaurant food home in doggy bags like it was disgusting. Do Europeans not take extra food home? I do it all the time. I can't eat all that stuff they give you, all at once.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

A*O

It's not common practice but most places will let you if you ask. In theory doggy bags are not necessary because the portions are a sensible size in the first place. I still think it's a bit 'naff' to leave the joint with half your food in a greasy bag.
    Dame Edna Everage

Actually, I don't know of anyplace that uses bags. A greasy bag would be gross but you generally get a box, often partitioned. But yeah, I'd prefer to pay a little less & get less food. It's long been an issue for older people, who don't want to eat much & don't have much money. As it is, it just seems really wasteful to leave half your meal there.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information