Thread: Top 10 food aphrodisiacs in honour of Valentine's Day

Default Top 10 food aphrodisiacs in honour of Valentine's Day

It's probably not a coincidence that I love all of these foods.

Top Food Aphrodisiacs
    By: Catherine Jheon
    Valentine’s Day – Sweet Recipes, Romantic Menus, Videos and Tips – Foodtv.ca - Food Network Canada

Aphrodisiacs are believed to arouse sexual desire. Not surprisingly, the word aphrodisiac comes from Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love, lust and sexuality. Here is a list of foods that’s sure to get you in the mood for Valentine’s Day.

Avocado: The Aztecs call the avocado tree “testicle tree” because its fruit hangs in pairs on the tree, resembling the male testicles.

Basil (sweet): The scent of basil was said to drive men wild. Women have been known to sprinkle dry crushed basil on their breasts to keep their husbands’ eyes from wandering.

Cardamom: This aromatic spice is regarded as a powerful aphrodisiac in certain cultures. It’s supposedly beneficial in treating impotence.

Chocolate: The Aztec and the Mayan people considered chocolate a luxury with aphrodisiac powers. The Aztec emperor, Montezuma, drank 50 cups of chocolate a day to enhance his sexual ability.

Durian: Despite its foul-smell, this thorny fruit is considered an aphrodisiac in Southeast Asia. There’s a saying in Indonesia: "When the durian fruit comes down, the skirts come up!”

Figs: Figs are another fruit that claims aphrodisiac qualities based on its appearance. An open fig is thought to look similar to female sex organs.

Ginger: Ginger root has been considered an aphrodisiac for centuries because of its scent and its ability to stimulate the circulatory system.

Honey: In Persia, newlyweds drank honey mead for one moon (or month) which is where the term “honeymoon” comes from. Others say the word “honeymoon” is from an old Viking tradition, where newlyweds were given a month to get to know each other. During that month, they were encouraged to drink lots of mead, a wine made from honey.

Licorice (black): In ancient China, the distinct aroma of black licorice was considered a powerful stimulant, with powers to enhance love and lust.

Oysters: These mollusks have long had a reputation of being aphrodisiacs. Oysters are high in both protein and zinc, which raises sperm and testosterone production which in turn increases libido. Oysters have a slightly salty/sweet scent which has been compared to a female pheromone. The great lover Casanova apparently ate dozens every morning.

Pine Nuts: Pine nuts are also high in zinc and have been used for centuries to make up love potions that stimulate the libido.

Soy: In at least one case, soy was associated with a case of “persistent sexual arousal syndrome.” A woman consuming over a pound of soy a day became chronically aroused. Soy milk, anyone?

Tomatoes: The bright red fruit that eats like a vegetable was shunned by the Puritans due to its reputed aphrodisiac powers. They are also known as pomme d'amour" (French for apple of love) which resulted from a misunderstanding of "pomme de' Moors."

I never knew that about honey!! And look, I learned something too---where the term 'honeymoon' came from. Awesome.

Good list! Pass the guac!

Elite Member

oooh cool thread pb!!
    i love chcocolate of course and i am HUGE fan of avocados..i make very good home-made guacamole..it tastes wonderful..

i just noticed that if you combine some of the items listed you get a nice snack
    When you're strange
    Faces come out of the rain

I don't think i'll be sprinkling basil on my breasts anytime soon but it's a nice thought. I'm surprised bananas aren't included on that list. The shape alone should be enough.
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

Elite Member

^^lol i did not even think of that..i looove bananas...but i would love them even if they were shaped like apples haha

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Soy: In at least one case, soy was associated with a case of “persistent sexual arousal syndrome.” A woman consuming over a pound of soy a day became chronically aroused. Soy milk, anyone?
    soy milk seems like the least sexy food ever lol..

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

you forgot Onions; they're supposed to make you horny!

^^^^^
    problem is, no one wants to shag you after you're done eating them!
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ i know right!

Here is my new aphrodisiac meal:

Chips with homemade avocado guacamole
    Bruschetta with diced tomatoes and a little bit of basil
    Oysters
    Pacific Breeze's Honey Cakes
    Ginger Ale
    Hot Chocolate

Thread Information