Thread: What's your native holiday food?

Default What's your native holiday food?

My 10 year old has a project for school coming due. Among other things, he has to come up with a holiday recipe from the country of his choosing that can be served to his class during his presentation. He's chosen Canada as his country. Hehe, he thinks he's Canadian because three of his g-grandparents are from Canada. Of course, that hurts my southern feelings, but I can take it!

So any ideas Canadians? It needs to be something easy to eat, yet typically Canadian/holiday. As for us down here in the lower quadrant, one of my favorites off the top of my head is Ham Delights. It's holiday/tailgating food. I can't remember the amounts, but they aren't precise anyway.

1 pkg of small Pepperidge Farm dinner rolls sliced open
    mixture of butter, mustard, shredded swiss cheese, poppy seeds
    ham slices

Spread the mixture on the tops and bottoms of the rolls and place sliced ham in between. Bake till the cheese is melted.

Manna from heaven.

What is your holiday food?
    Buying is a profound pleasure. Simone De Beauvoir

SVZ

Default Re: What's your native holiday food?

moon pie I guess. it's like this thick, square egg...confection. it's good. but weird.

Zee

You might be able to pull off Beaver Tails for school project. They are the Canadian version of fried bread dough or elephant ears shaped like beaver tails.

I buy frozen sweet bread dough -deep fry and dust with cinnamon sugar, lemon juice or jelly. My boys like them with nutella. We always get them at Winterlude in Ottawa.

Good luck!
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

SVZ

oooh those are delicious!!! they sell them at Blue Mountain, and some mountain close to toronto...I get them whenever I go.....which is like....twice last year

Yum! Those sound like what we call "elephant ears" and we get them at the state fair. VZ, would moon pie be good for a bunch of fourth graders?

Here's another Canadian classic Blue that I think the kids will love. It's easy, too. I usually eat half of them while they're cooling! Recipe can be doubled.

Butter Tarts

1/4 cup butter
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1 egg
    1/2 corn or maple syrup
    1/2 cup raisins or currants -- I use half cranberries, half currants to make it more festive for holiday feasting, and to cut the sweetness a little
    12 pastry-lined tart shells

Cream together butter, sugar and vanilla. Beat in egg and syrup. Spoon raisins/cranberries into shells. Pour in filling until shells are 2/3 full. Bake in 375 degree oven 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Do NOT overcook.
    Cool on rack.

Makes 12 large tarts or 18 small tarts.

I don't know if this qualifies as holiday food, but this B.C. original turns up somewhere at most gatherings. They are named for the Vancouver Island town where they originated. They're a bit of work but worth it. Sweet and delicious. There's never any left.

Nanaimo Bars

Bottom Layer

1/2 cup butter
    1/4 cup white sugar
    1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 egg, beaten
    1 and 3/4 cups graham wafer crumbs
    1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (I usually use walnuts)
    1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut

Middle Layer
    1/2 cup butter
    3 tbsp. light cream
    2 tbsp. custard powder
    2 cups icing sugar

Top Layer
    4 oz semisweet chocolate
    2 tbsp. butter

Bottom Layer: In double boiler melt sugar, butter and cocoa, add egg and cook until thickened. Add crumbs, nuts and coconut. Press into ungreased 9" square pan and chill.

Middle Layer: Beat together butter, cream, sugar and custard powder. Spread over base. Chill. DON'T use pudding as a substitute for this layer. It doesn't work.

Top Layer: Melt chocolate with butter, cool slightly. Pour over second layer. Chill. Cut into bars when thoroughly chilled.

I think I'll maybe try the butter tarts, those sound easy enough that M can do them with little help. Can you tell me anything about why they are especially Canadian? BTW, how does one cite the internet in a bibliography? hehe.

Here's another one of my favorite down south recipes:

Bourbon Balls

2C finely grnd gingersnap cookies
    2C finely grnd graham crackers
    1.5C confectioner's sugar
    1C grnd pecans
    1C flaked coconut
    .5C raisins
    1T grated orange peel
    3T corn syrup or honey
    .5t vanilla extract
    .5C bourbon (I use more and add more dry ingredients)
    2T melted butter

Puree all (only 3/4C confectioner's sugar) and roll into 1.5 inch balls. Then roll in the remaining confectioner's sugar. Let sit for 2 or 3 days. Can be frozen.

These are wonderful!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Yay, go Nanaimo bars. I used to love this stuff but it's very sweet.
    Butter tarts sound good, too. Anything that has maple syrup is stereotypically Canadian to me.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I've researched butter tarts a bit, but the most consistent information I can find is that they "may have their origin in southern pecan pie, old-fashioned sugar pies, or maple syrup, backwoods or vinegar pies." Mostly they're "poor people's" or pioneer food because they use only a few basic ingredients. Some recipes call for the addition of nuts, but the classic recipe is with raisins or currants and brown sugar.

More info: "A butter tart is a type of pastry best known as Canadian. The Canadian tart consists of butter, sugar and eggs in a pastry shell, similar to the base of the U. S. pecan pie without the nut topping. Additional ingredients can include raisins, pecans, walnuts, coconut, butterscotch, chocolate chips or peanut butter. Butter tarts were a staple of pioneer Canadian cooking, and they remain a characteristic pastry of Canada, considered one of only a few recipes of genuinely Canadian origin (for example, by the 6th edition of the Collins English Dictionary). One of the earliest known Canadian recipes is from northern Ontario and dates back to 1915. Yet similar tarts are made in Scotland, where they are often referred to as Ecclefechan Butter tarts from the town of Ecclefechan; and in France, where they are uncommon but known as "tartes au beurre", related to the much commoner tarte à la frangipane, that differs from the basic Canadian recipe only by the addition of ground almonds. The origin thus appears to be unknown. Butter tarts are said to have been a favorite treat of Canada's first Prime Minister Sir John A. Macdonald."

Some people also think they were brought to Canada by American slaves as a variation on pecan pie, as nuts were expensive and hard to find.

I know I've eaten them ever since I can remember, and my mother and grandmothers made them. They've been around for a while. I think most simple things are the best, which is why I love most peasant food.

As for doing a bibliography from the Internet, I know how! But since this recipe is actually from a book, A Century of Canadian Home Cooking, I'm happy to PM you the info, Blue. :
    Last edited by pacific breeze; November 11th, 2005 at 12:31 AM.

Please do ^^, breeze! And thank you for the research. That's definitely what we're making.

As if you didn't know, all good things come from the south!

Thread Information