Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding milk to tea nullifies the benefits

SVZ

Default Adding milk to tea nullifies the benefits

Milk mars tea benefits

LAHORE: Adding milk to a cup of tea can destroy its ability to protect against heart disease, the BBC reported on Tuesday.

A small German study found drinking black tea significantly improved the ability of arteries to relax and expand to keep blood pressure healthy. But the European Heart Journal paper also found proteins in milk, called caseins, blocked this effect.

It is estimated as many as 98 percent of UK tea-drinkers prefer milk in their favourite cuppa.

The researchers tested the effects of tea in 16 humans and on rat tissue. They showed molecules in the tea called catechins helped dilate the blood vessels by producing a chemical called nitric oxide. The caseins in milk prevented this effect by reducing the concentration of catechins in the tea.

Senior researcher Dr Verena Stangl, professor of cardiology at the Charite Hospital, in Berlin, said: “Our results thus provide a possible explanation for the lack of beneficial effects of tea on the risk of heart disease in the UK, a country where milk is usually added.” However, June Davison, cardiac nurse at the British Heart Foundation (BHF), said: “It is difficult to say from this small study the impact of adding a drop of milk to your tea can make.

“The tea break is a great British tradition which provides time to relax with a cuppa in hand.

“Leaving milk out of your tea is far less likely to help protect your heart health than other measures, such as taking regular exercise, avoiding smoking and eating a healthy balanced diet.”

But Davison also said the study highlighted the importance of not just thinking about one food in isolation but the effect of the actual interaction between different foods. Prof Stangl said the study was very complex and so could only be performed on a small number of people.

Professor Andrew Steptoe of UCL’s department of epidemiology and public health, who has previously carried out research into the effects of tea on recovery from stress, said that as such studies were very difficult to carry out he was not surprised that this study had been very small. On the results of the study, he added: “We would be interested to know if that sort of effect persists long-term or if it is just an acute effect of tea.”

Prof Steptoe said that as there were about 200 bioactive compounds in tea, the apparent effect of milk of vasodilation “does not necessarily mean milk negates the other effects of tea”.

Catherine Collins, a dietician and spokesperson for the British Dietetic Society, agreed that tea was a “very healthy drink” and pointed out that drinking it with milk in would boost calcium intake. daily times monitor

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default...0-1-2007_pg7_6

Hmm. I never put milk in herbal tea, but I have to admit I like it in strong black tea.

I like milk in black teas as well. I wonder if soy milk has the same negating effect...
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

A*O

I stopped taking milk in ANY kind of tea about 10 years ago and now the idea of it makes me gag. Obviously you can't 'stew' the tea for too long or you get that bitter tannin taste but I find it tastes much more refreshing and you get the subtle differences between the varieties. Darjeeling is the nicest taken 'black', also Orange Pekoe and (weak) Earl Grey.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I need milk in tea, not into fancy varieties either. Regular old English Breakfast tea, milk and one sugar for me.

Elite Member

shucks. i always make tea with milk. milk, ginger, mint and cardomman.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Aye, this sux to the max. I've been really into chai and spiced teas lately and I love to use milk.

I usually take black tea and others without milk but man chai is so yummers with milk.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I LOVE Yogi Chai Black Tea with milk and honey in it. It has all those wonderful spices in it. I don't drink it for the health benefits.

For health benefits I drink Traditional Medicinal Rose Hips (brewed double strength), and Hibiscus Paradise, and a bunch of others. Only at night though. The Morning is strictly for coffee!!

Can't stand green tea of any sort. It jangles me something fierce and tastes wretched.

I have just recently given up cow's milk for the soya variety. And I am loving the taste. But I am not really a tea or coffee drinker. But on the times I do feel like a cup of tea, I don't think I could go without some sort of milk in it.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I like soy milk but for some reason I could not put that in my tea. I think it's better with coffee though, soy lattes are quite tasty Oh and when I was in Japan last Spring, soy bean coffee (I guess made with roasted soy beans) was kinda popular.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
    I have just recently given up cow's milk for the soya variety. And I am loving the taste. But I am not really a tea or coffee drinker. But on the times I do feel like a cup of tea, I don't think I could go without some sort of milk in it.
    You should try it VC - you get to taste the tea and not the milk. Just don't make it too strong. Pour boiling water on a teabag in a mug and leave for no more than about 20 seconds. If you let it stand it WILL taste horrible and bitter.
    Dame Edna Everage

Got to have milk in my tea, the heck with these "studies"

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    You should try it VC - you get to taste the tea and not the milk. Just don't make it too strong. Pour boiling water on a teabag in a mug and leave for no more than about 20 seconds. If you let it stand it WILL taste horrible and bitter.
    I will eventually ease myself into it. It has to be a gradual transition with me! It is way too hot right now for me to even consider a cup of anything hot!

A*O

I was more or less 'forced' into drinking milk-less tea during a long overseas trip when the only milk available was those nasty plastic 'nipple' thingies with a pull-off lid that spews UHT milk everywhere. You know the things I mean. It tasted SO digusting I decided to do without the milk and as a Brit for whom tea runs in her veins I needed the tea more than the milk and after only a couple of days I was totally hooked on black tea. Just give it a go once or twice - you don't have to go cold turkey - but I promise that once you are used to the taste of tea and not the milk you will be converted for life.
    Dame Edna Everage

I rather hate milk, haven't tasted the stuff since I was four.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information