Thread: London Broil help

Silver Member
    The First Presleytarian Church Of Elvis The Divine

Default London Broil help

How long do I broil a London Broil in the oven. I've marinated over night and don't want to ruin it. Do I put it on the top rack so it will be close to the broiling element or do I put it on a lower rack and broil ? The last one I cooked I over cooked it and it was tough. I want it medium rare any advice would be appreciated .
    How You Durrin ?

Elite Member

I would like to know this as well. I have never had much luck with London Broil.

Well, I'll add my name in on the list of people who want to know how to do a London Broil properly. I too have no luck in this department, when I swear I follow my friends (her London Broil ROCKS) recipe to the letter. One opinion I got from my hubby was my choice of cuts of meat--are there different cuts to London Broil and if so, what would be considered the 'better' cut???

Clueless....

Bronze Member

I make a pretty good london broil. I marinate in teryaki overnight - piercing the meat so that the marinade penetrates. I sprinkkle with pepper only, and broil on high (approx 5-6 minutes) each side for medium rare. I then slice the meat into thin strips and serve, usually with sauted mushroom and onion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    I make a pretty good london broil. I marinate in teryaki overnight - piercing the meat so that the marinade penetrates. I sprinkkle with pepper only, and broil on high (approx 5-6 minutes) each side for medium rare. I then slice the meat into thin strips and serve, usually with sauted mushroom and onion.
    I make mine similiarly. I use Italian dressing as a marinade. I find to do well done without drying it out, I need to cook to rare in the oven on a low temp. I then drop it in the broiler for 5 minutes or so a side. Personally, I think London Broil is a cut that always tastes better on the rare side.

Elite Member

What cut of meat do you use? Isn't flank steak usually used for London Broil? LB is the name of a dish, not a cut of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    What cut of meat do you use? Isn't flank steak usually used for London Broil? LB is the name of a dish, not a cut of meat.

The cut is actually Top Round Roast. The one I buy anyway. My butcher told me both flank and round are cheaper cuts of meat and that's the cooking issue.

Thread Information