Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dining out while on a diet

Elite Member

Default Dining out while on a diet

random rant lol..so today i met up with my mom for lunch and i've been on his very-healthy diet, eating lots of salad and fresh fruit and whole grains and stuff. i am feeling much better and slowly losing weight, it's been good.
    and then..i go to this restaurant w/ my mom and they didn't have anything healthy and we ended up eating tons of fattening food
    it was not good.
    i almost required a crane to pick me up and roll me back to my car haha

anyways..i have decided i am not going to dine out in the future unless i can go to a place where they have healthy items on the menu. it's just not worth it.

do you guys run into this issue?
    if you are really watching your weight, do you just not order if you're somewhere unhealthy?
    i wish i'd just ordered a diet soda this afternoon and left it at that

Congrats on your diet success! I don't think one day of indulgence is going to set you back, but I would say that from now on, if you know you're going out to eat, have some healthy snacks beforehand so you're not starving. That way you won't overeat, good or bad food.

My big annoyance is that the healthy food is so much more expensive than the junk. If I'm strapped for cash, I can eat junk cheaper than healthy. No one's going to convince me that lettuce costs more than a cheeseburger.

My best advice is to be aware of nutrition facts so you can find the best option available, and to adjust your eating for the rest of the day based on the restaurant meal. I mean, I wound up at IHOP yesterday morning for breakfast, did my best nutritionally (and points-wise, I'm on weight watchers), and then ate light the rest of the day. While on WW I've eaten at Denny's, IHOP, steakhouses, Steak n Shake, everywhere "bad", but you make it work within your day.

There are a few websites I use for nutrition info:
    http://www.dietfacts.com
    http://www.dwlz.com/restaurants.html (this is WW points, but it has calories, fat, fiber, and carbs listed for all the entries)
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/food-calorie-counts/ (this one is for regular food instead of eating out, but it's a really good nutritional database with over 7000 foods in it)

Elite Member

^^
    i agree, this is good advice..sometimes in the course of socializing, you wind up in really unhealthy places, and it's a challenge on a diet. but still possible to be healthy, and positive about the situation. lol

im always a fan of a salad with a protein item in it when eating at a restuarant. for example, chicken caser salad..

now obviously, CCS isnt the lowest fat item on the planet with the dressing and all...but unless ur asking for a grilled boneless, skinless, oil-free chicken breast and a dry salad with balsamic vinegar, ur going to break ur diet at a restaurant anyway...so relative to other regular items on a menu, i think CC type salads are a good bet

the reason i go protein salad is for a few reasons
    1) what u see is what u get, there are no suprise high cal accoutrements ie side of startch that comes on the plate that could be tempting like if you ordered a regular entree...i cant tell you how many times ive been with a dieting gfriend who orders the sea bass or whatever and it comes on top of a massive sticky rice pilaf/whipped potatos and sauce..and then its all over and theres no salvaging the entree. At least with CCS, u can pick at the chicken part since they usually dont mix it in with the dressing when they toss the lettuce...they like to lay it right on top for presenation

2)unless they overload with breadcrumbs, there is not startch in a protein salad

3) yes youre getting fat grams but better to get them on chicken and lettuce rather than potatos

4) im not a huge fan of making a big scene out of being on a diet...as it would if you tried to customize your meal at restaruant, so i find myself wanting to order something that is already listed

5) and i dont mean a salad with chicken fingers, shreaded cheese, and bacon bits with ranch dressing either...

6) with how enormous entrees are, i still feel salads are typically a bit more conseravative in size...and when restuarants are trying to megasize a salad portion, they just do it by adding more lettuce anyway
    Last edited by Femmefatale; December 31st, 2006 at 04:56 PM.

SVZ

Just be careful of the salad dressing they use for salads. Usually contains partially hydrogenated oils.

Bronze Member

I think its okay to eat out every once in awhile when you are dieting...I know I always get water when I go out so that helps cut some of the calories.

I always ask for dressing on the side because restaurants always put too much on anyway. I tend not to eat out much when I diet because one of the reasons I go out to eat is so that I can have things I wouldn't normally have at home.

Stay away from sauces unless they're red; otherwise they're probably loaded with butter and cream, that's why they taste so good, lol. Fish is a good bet, as is chicken -- grilled or baked, never fried.

I'm always amazed by people who tell me they're on diets, but slather their bread with butter. I'd forego both, but if I did break down and have bread, I'd eat it plain.

even when on a diet, i always allow myself a piece of bread with a square of butter...and i dont use margorin ever

I've just gotten out of the habit of using butter on bread. I use it to cook, along with olive and grapeseed oil, tho.

Things like butter on bread, using lots of salad dressing, eating red meat are the silent calories that really add up. I guess I've pretty much gotten them out of my daily eating habits now.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Things like butter on bread, using lots of salad dressing, eating red meat are the silent calories that really add up. I guess I've pretty much gotten them out of my daily eating habits now.
    i understand what youre saying, but for me i am very much a person who lives on those things and still maintains a very thin weight of 112lbs at 5'5. a typical meal for me would consist of tenderloin salad with regular dressing and a piece of bread or 2 with butter. What i dont do is eat a lot of sugar (a cookie here or there, no regular pop or sweetended juices), potatos or pastas. Yes, i will enjoy a piece of bread or two, but really nothing else in the form of startch. that fat in the red meat and dressing helps keeps me satisfied so i dont ever snack or overeat. although i am definately with you on not going for fried food at all, i think its gross and def bad for diets

also, although i do enjoy regular dressing i am not a fan of cream based dressings but i do enjoy oil-based dressings. and, if im trying to cut back on full fat dressing (which is rare), i go the light version but not the fat free version. i think that extra flavor helps me to eat less

Completely agree that the tastier the food, the more satisfied you are eating it and thus eat smaller amounts. A lot of people think "health" food has to be bland and tasteless. Quite the opposite is true. In Europe people eat rich food, but they don't eat in between meals, and portions are much smaller.

I think the food I make now is better tasting, and certainly healthier, than what I used to eat before I became health and weight-conscious. Fresh, good-quality ingredients and using a lot more organic fruits and veggies have made a big difference. I rarely eat meat, but when I do, I go for organic. Hubby's a vegetarian so I don't cook it at home much.
    Last edited by pacific breeze; January 3rd, 2007 at 05:20 PM.

A*O

It can be very hard but you have to pick a restaurant where you are likely to be given healthy options on the menu and where you can order stuff that's not part of a 'package deal'. A lot of these places are very inflexible when it comes to ordering part of a dish, or modifying it by asking for dressing or sauce to be excluded. It's unrealistic to walk into a junkfood joint and hope to find anything remotely healthy - and I include McDonalds 'salads' in this cagegory. PLUS you are putting yourself into an environment where you will be tempted.

Most restaurants serve salads either as a starter, a main course or a side. I just ask for one of those (no dressing) and they are usually very generous portions. You could have a small piece of grilled steak or fish too but NO fries, potatoes or bread. Also side dishes of steamed veggies are usually available but again skip the fries or potatoes.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Actually, McDonald's salads are pretty good for you - if you get the grilled, not the crispy chicken and if you go for the balsamic vinaigrette dressing. I think it only comes to around 240 calories, and they're a pretty decent size. I forget where I saw it, but there was someone who did their own version of Supersize Me where they ate only the "good" stuff from Micky D's - the salads, yogurt, etc...) and they lost weight. So it's all about making smart choices I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information