Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pregnancy cravings

Elite Member

Default Pregnancy cravings

i started this topic on another board and i was surprised and interested by all the different foods women specifically wanted while pregnant..for those of you expecting, or who've had kids, did you have any special cravings?
    btw i am not a mom or a mom-to-be, i am just kind of intrigued by this kind of stuff

With my first son, it was ice chips. Had to have them all the time. I'd go through the drive through to get food and ask for just a cup of ice so I could chomp away. I'm sure it was horrible on my teeth.

With my second son, it was barbeque potato chips. Oh dear god I couldn't get enough of them...I'd go through a whole bag and then feel horrible for it. But I just had to have them.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Bronze Member

i know a girl at another forum who is pregnant and shes a total b.i.t.c.h. she whines about it all the time. get over it already!

I craved and ate a TON of Count Chocula cereal. I never like it prior to being pregnant and never ate another bowl after giving birth.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
    With my second son, it was barbeque potato chips. Oh dear god I couldn't get enough of them...I'd go through a whole bag and then feel horrible for it. But I just had to have them.
    oh algernon i LOVE barbecue potato chips. i'd never need a pregnancy excuse to happily polish off a bag of those lol

my friend when she was pregnant (gave birth last thursday!!) craved Jellybeans. Unfortunatly she couldnt eat them as much as she wanted to because her blood sugar levels were getting way too high.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Can't remember cravings with the first pregnancy, but there were a couple of things that I simply could not abide to smell - bagels, and flavored (fruity) carbonated water.

Second pregnancy, I had to have mexican food as often as possible. And the minute I got pregnant, the thought of a bagel would make me nauseated.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

My sister was OBSESSED with 'Extra Strong Mints', she went through about five packets a day! I thought her bloody teeth were going to drop out! Her breath was very fresh though...
    My auntie on the other hand craved sardines - yuck!!
    Curiouser and curiouser...

Can't remember any craving either but I remember I had major food aversions. I could barely eat meat at the beginning of my pregnancy and anything with cream would make me gag.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

I craved fried chicken with both my pregnancies. Vividly remember walking through the grocery and the smell of the chicken in the deli hitting me. I literally stopped in the aisle and my mouth started watering like a faucet.

Not food related, but during my first preg. I suddenly couldn't abide by the smell of Bounce fabric softner! The smell of it was like someone was smothering me, couldn't breathe (weird! I know). Worst part is, that aversion is still with me to this day.
    Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I saw one a while back that had two guys dressed like pterodactyls and some chick doing stuff while a little unidentified dinosaur watched. It was at that point that I realized (hoped?) I'd reached the end of the internet.

First pregnancy, Chicken Chimichangas and Twinkies. I ate a Twinkie every day and had Chimis at least 3 times a week. I could not smell Alfredo sauce, made me sick.

Second pregnancy, anything sweet. Although, I did end up with gestational diabetes, so that was probably why. Second time, the smell of chinese food made me ill.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^I did the Twinkies thing too with one of my pregnancies.

When my mother was pregnant with me, she would put heaping spoonfuls of coffee grounds in her mouth and suck on them. I think that's why I've never like coffee.

While pregnant with my sister, my mother would put Alka Seltzer straight on her tongue and let it fizzle away.

Elite Member

that is interesting abt. the coffee grounds..i have wondered if some things mothers eat a lot of while expecting cause lifetime likes and dislikes..

^^I think so. I was diabetic with the second son, and he is a candy freak, he will OD on the stuff. I'm not sure if the two are related....

Quote Originally Posted by Icepik View Post
    I craved and ate a TON of Count Chocula cereal. I never like it prior to being pregnant and never ate another bowl after giving birth.

For me, it was cocoa puffs...could'nt get enough of them. Later in the pregnancy, it was burritos. I was tootin' up a storm. My hubby, poor guy, had to live with me.

I could'nt stand the smell of eggs at all. The thought of eating one made me hurl.

I remember a woman in nursing school that said she craved dirt and detergent when she was pregnant. Weird stuff, those hormones, man.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information