Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olive oil 'can cut cancer risk'

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Thumbs up Olive oil 'can cut cancer risk'

Please people replace shitty animal fats with olive oil! Its very very very good for you!! (I even use it on my hair and nails and skin sometimes )
    There's nothing wrong with the fat in olive oil; its considered 'good fat' and helps your body a lot! Like the fat in avocado which is also superb for you!!

Olive oil 'can cut cancer risk'

Adding plenty of olive oil to a diet could help protect against cell damage that can lead to cancer, experts say.
    A study of 182 European men found those who had 25 millilitres of olive oil per day had reduced levels of a substance which indicates cell damage.

The Danish team said it may explain why many cancer rates are higher in northern Europe than the south, where olive oil is a major part of the diet.

The study is in the Federation American Societies for Experimental Biology.

By-products
    The Copenhagen University Hospital researchers looked at 182 healthy men aged between 20 and 60 from five European countries.

These data provide evidence that olive oil consumption explains the difference in cancer incidence between north and southern Europe

The scientists added either virgin, common or refined olive oil to their diets over two weeks.

At the end of study, scientists measured levels of the substance which indicates oxidative damage to cells, called 8oxodG, in the men's urine.

Oxidative damage is a process whereby the metabolic balance of a cell is disrupted by exposure to substances that result in the accumulation of free-radicals, which can then damage the cell.

The men were found to have around 13% less 8oxodG compared with their levels at the beginning of the study.

At the beginning of the study, men from northern Europe had higher levels of 8oxodG than those from southern Europe, supporting the idea that olive oil had a reductive effect.

North-south difference
    Olive oil contains a number of compounds, called phenols, which are believed to act as powerful antioxidants.

More long-term research is needed to confirm these effects
    Dr Anthea Martin, Cancer Research UK

But the Danish researchers said the men in the study used the three different oils, which had different levels of phenols, so that was unlikely to explain the protective effect.

They said that, instead, the monounsaturated fats in olive oil were probably behind the effect.

The scientists, led by Dr Henrik Poulsen, wrote in the FASEB journal: "These data provide evidence that olive oil consumption explains the difference in cancer incidence between north and southern Europe."

Dr Anthea Martin, science information officer at Cancer Research UK, said: "The effect of diet on cancer risk is very complex because of the many different components of the food we eat.

"Although this study suggests that olive oil can reduce DNA damage that could lead to the development of cancer, more long-term research is needed to confirm these effects."

She added: "We do know that a healthy, balanced diet, including plenty of vegetables and fruit and limited amounts of red and processed meat, can help reduce the risk of cancer."

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...th/6195895.stm

As someone who uses olive oil in everything - YEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! Thanks Alice, that just made my day

My daughter LOVED avacados when she was just starting out on solid foods. Everyone told me I was insane for giving it to her, since it's 'full of fat'. Well, guess what?? ITS GOOD FOR YOU! And has been shown to actually enhance brain activity/power. So F them.

I still get her to eat them once in awhile. Need to make a bigger practice of Olive Oil though.

^ man i hate it when ppl come out the woodwork with their so-called 'parenting tips' just SHUT UP! I WANT YOUR ADVICE I'LL ASK FOR IT!
    idiots

That's cool, olive oil has always been one of those things considered 'good' and this is yet another thing it does good for you. 25 mils a day really isn't that much if you're an olive oil lover like me. I use more than that dipping it in bread at the restaurant.

I always use olive oil. I don't care much for other kinds of oil really.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    My daughter LOVED avacados when she was just starting out on solid foods. Everyone told me I was insane for giving it to her, since it's 'full of fat'. Well, guess what?? ITS GOOD FOR YOU! And has been shown to actually enhance brain activity/power. So F them.
    oh lynnie, i am with you, avocados ROCK
    i live in a house with several avocado treees at the back
    we eat avocados all the time, and you're right, they're really good for you.
    olive oil is very good also, we often cook with that.

I just can't get used to the taste of avocados. I have tried but I just can't.

But thankfully I have a lot of olive oil. Lately I have been adding it to protein shakes. Sounds yuk but you really can't taste it in the milk!

mmmmmmm avocados and ewwww Voodoo

j/k thats really cool of you to be so healthy and not care about taste or consistency

I loooooooooooooove extra virgin olive oil. I put it on absolutely everything, it's just delicious!
    2 years...

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    mmmmmmm avocados and ewwww Voodoo

j/k thats really cool of you to be so healthy and not care about taste or consistency

Try it someday! I meant soya milk too if that makes any difference to ya!
    Last edited by Voodoo Child; January 10th, 2007 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
    I just can't get used to the taste of avocados. I have tried but I just can't.

But thankfully I have a lot of olive oil. Lately I have been adding it to protein shakes. Sounds yuk but you really can't taste it in the milk!
    Wanted to find this old quote of mine and update it! Today I bought basically my first avocado and spread it on a roll and had a vegie pattie on it. It was delicious. So the trick for me liking it is to spread a thin layer on something!

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    As someone who uses olive oil in everything - YEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! Thanks Alice, that just made my day
    Ditto.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Kudos to olive oil users, I just love the stuff.

The trick with avocados also, is picking one that is ripe and just right. So many just aren't ripe yet, or are bruised/too spoiled in parts, or bitter. Especially if they're not native to where you live. It's hard to get an imported avocado that has traveled cross-country or farther and have it taste good.

If they're hard, they're not ripe yet! Go for "supple:" soft but not mushy. Springs back to the touch. I also go for the blackest ones (Haas avocados). Also, the yummiest tasting avocados are greener inside than the picture below. Outside skin is black enough though.

That's great news for me.

I just found an olive oil from Greece that I just love!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information