Thread: Get out of your cooking rut

Default Get out of your cooking rut

I found this on http://www.foodtv.ca/. Maybe it's not practical to do all of this all of the time, but once in a while would be nice.

Top 10 Crash My Kitchen Tips For Getting Out Of a Food Rut
    By Corbin Tomaszeski, Crash My Kitchen

1. Never go to the grocery store on an empty stomach.
    Too often, people purchase too many things that are unnecessary and find themselves at the check-out counter with a pile of food that will end up as refrigerator compost, not to mention emptying out their bank account. Whenever possible, take along a shopping list.

2. Visit your local specialty shops.
    For example, try a reputable cheese shop and ask to taste some items that you have never tried before. Cheese is a versatile ingredient and there are hundreds of flavors to choose from. If all else fails, a beautiful piece of cheese served with a loaf of crusty bread and a bottle of red wine is all that you need to re-create the French countryside and offer an unforgettable gastronomic experience. Try melting some St. Marceline cheese on bread, add some prosciutto and fresh basil, then drizzle with olive oil.

3. Drizzle flavored oil on top of your favourite foods.
    For example, spicy chili oil on fresh seafood is amazing, and rosemary-infused olive oil is great on fresh pasta or bread. For the even more adventurous, try varieties such as orange and cardamom-flavoured olive oil.

4. Don’t be afraid to experiment with new cooking techniques.
    Put your beef roast on the BBQ and slow cook it outside, or even try cooking a small turkey on the BBQ. Just rub it with some citrus fruit and let the juices flow.

5. Take advantage of fresh seasonal ingredients.
    There is nothing better than food that is fresh—and remember that you don’t always have to cook it! Raw foods are not only tasty, but they also retain all those healthy nutrients. Try mixing and matching raw vegetables and fruits together to discover new flavor and texture combinations.

6. Experiment with marinades for meats, fish and poultry.
    Simply drop the ingredients into a zip-locked bag and refrigerate. There are many pre-made dressings at the grocery store to choose from—try some and experiment, or make your own from juiced citrus fruit mixed with garlic and ginger, for example.

7. Once you’ve put all that effort into preparing a meal, don’t forget to add the finishing touches.
    Garnish your favorite dishes to add some pizzazz. People eat with their eyes, so take a bit of extra time and WOW your guests with the presentation. Garnishes don’t need to be fancy—if you are making your favorite soup, garnish it with fresh julienned arugula or vegetables.

8. Forget about heavy sauces for dressing your foods.
    Instead, make reductions with fruit juice, red wine or meat stock, and discover their intensity. Try reducing vinegars, too! They add punch and zing to recipes, not to mention beautiful colour, such as a reduction of roasted red pepper and white wine vinegar.

9. Commit to buying two items at the supermarket that you would not normally purchase.
    If you don’t normally buy lemongrass, for example, buy some for your favourite chicken or fish recipe and discover a whole new flavour. Add fresh herbs to your sauces, salad dressings and vegetables. Sometimes, the simplest of things can make a recipe unbelievable.

10. Avoid rushing through meal preparation and allow yourself some time to cook.
    Pour a glass of wine and put on your favourite music. Cooking is meant to be relaxing and therapeutic, not always strenuous or time-consuming. Start with simple dishes and work your way up the culinary ladder. Cooking is also a great way to get the family working together as a team. Get the kids in the kitchen and begin the learning process—it is never too early to start!

This was great. I agree with every single one!

I have way too much experience with #1. I have a very bad habit of shopping on an empty stomach, and it's always a bad idea. Shopping lists are your friends.

And a good marinade changes everything.

I especially like the part where you pour a glass of good wine, put on your favourite music, and cook up a storm. A very pleasant and relaxing way to cook when one has the time.

SVZ

it always tastes good if you cook it!

Thread Information