Thread: What to do with balsamic vinegar?

Elite Member

Default What to do with balsamic vinegar?

I bought a bottle...need ideas! Other than salad dressing, please I am most interested in ideas for marinades/sauces. Thanks!

SVZ

My mom uses it on dumplings and that sort of stuff

It's the wrong time of year, but when summer comes, you can drizzle a little balsamic vinegar on sugared strawberries ... it's an Italian thing.

If you heat balsamic vinegar, it reduces the acidity and brings out more of its sweetness, which is great for a marinade. I usually mix it with olive oil, freshly-ground pepper, fresh garlic (or powdered garlic), etc. If I'm using chicken, I'll add some rosemary. For beef, I prefer parsley.
    debauched.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by misswang View Post
    If you heat balsamic vinegar, it reduces the acidity and brings out more of its sweetness, which is great for a marinade. I usually mix it with olive oil, freshly-ground pepper, fresh garlic (or powdered garlic), etc. If I'm using chicken, I'll add some rosemary. For beef, I prefer parsley.
    ooo, great tip!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

^^ yea that sounds great. I'm gonna try that with chicken!

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Elite Member

balsamic chicken is the best. so is balsamic salmon.

if you mix balsamic, honey, dijon mustard, and some sesame oil, mix it and then marrinate your salmon fillets in it OR make a aluminium foil bag, put your salmon fillets in it and the mix and bake in the bag slowly for 10-15 minutes or untill salmon is cooked through.

you can cook almost any vegetable with it. I reccomend spinach, asparagus, pumpkin or onion.
    "Don't think that sticking your boobs out and trying to look fuckable will help. Remember your in a rock and roll band. It's not "Fuck Me", It's "Fuck You!"
    Chrissie Hynde

Did you buy a small expensive high end bottle or a large bottle? If it was the $50 plus variety I would just use it on salads and as a topping.

Some ideas:

--Balsamic vinegar drizzled on an avacado is a beautiful thing.

--Drizzled on strawberries as previously mentioned

--Add a little sugar and reduce it down to a syrup about 15 minutes on med-high heat.
    Grill a steak, top with some goat cheese and put it under the broiler until it's melted.
    Top with the balsamic syrup. Moan in ecstasy.

Warning: when cooking balsamic vinegar DO not put your face over the pan unless you really want to clear your sinuses!

--I LOVE this recipe from Giada de Laurentis!:

Roasted Chicken with Balsamic Vinaigrette
    (Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis)

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 (4-pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces (giblets, neck and backbone reserved for another use)
    1/2 cup low-salt chicken broth
    1 teaspoon lemon zest
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves

Whisk the vinegar, mustard, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper in small bowl to blend. Combine the vinaigrette and chicken pieces in a large resealable plastic bag; seal the bag and toss to coat. Refrigerate, turning the chicken pieces occasionally, for at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Remove chicken from the bag and arrange the chicken pieces on a large greased baking dish. Roast until the chicken is just cooked through, about 1 hour. If your chicken browns too quickly, cover it with foil for the remaining cooking time. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Place the baking dish on a burner over medium-low heat. Whisk the chicken broth into the pan drippings, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the baking sheet with a wooden spoon and mixing them into the broth and pan drippings. Drizzle the pan drippings over the chicken. Sprinkle the lemon zest and parsley over the chicken, and serve.

I usually do a tomato & bocconcini salad. Slice tomatos and add a slice of bocconcini on each slice of tomato. Then add fresh basil on top. Drizzle with olive oil & balsamic vinegar and add salt and pepper to taste. Yum!
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Thread Information