Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Food poisoning horror story posting thread!

Default Food poisoning horror story posting thread!

This just happened in Indianapolis:

Over 300 sickened after eating at Olive Garden
    Indianapolis health officials testing samples to determine source of illness
    Updated: 7:51 p.m. ET Dec 15, 2006
    INDIANAPOLIS - More than 300 people say they became ill, and at least three have been hospitalized, after eating at an Olive Garden restaurant last weekend, health officials said Friday.

The restaurant has been closed while health officials and the company investigate what caused customers to complain of nausea, vomiting, fever and diarrhea, a company spokesman said.

Steve Coe, a spokesman for the Orlando, Fla.-based chain of Italian restaurants, said health officials are focusing on an employee who had flu-like symptoms similar to those patrons complained of.

Six restaurant workers reported Monday that they felt ill, said Marion County Health Department spokesman John Althardt.

"We're trying to isolate what the cause of the illness might be," he said.

Health officials have found no link to the E. coli outbreak that sickened dozens of people who ate at Taco Bell restaurants in the Northeast recently, Althardt said.

The reports have been isolated to the one restaurant, appearing to indicate the problem is not linked to any products used in the food, Coe said. Food suppliers typically supply the same products to many restaurants.

"We are taking this extremely seriously," he said. "But at this time there is no reason for us to believe that there is any connection with any E. coli outbreaks."

Health officials were collecting leftover food and stool samples from those stricken to pinpoint the source, Althardt said. Inspectors met with restaurant managers on Tuesday and found no health code violations.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16223079/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    So has anyone gotten ill from restaurant eating..or from a reunion, banquet, etc??? Post your horror story here!

*also there is no way to check for previous similar threads anymore..what is up with that???*
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

I'm going to print that out for all those idiots at work that insist on the drug reps bringing us Olive Garden three times a week like clockwork.

Oh dear god...I had food poisoning exactly once in my life. It was in December of 1997. I remember it so clearly because it was the MOST HELLACIOUS two days of my LIFE. I've been through two childbirths and all the usual nasty violent flus and such in my life, and nothing ever compared to the food poisoning.

I got it from Arby's halepeno poppers. I had grown quite addicted to them for awhile, and one night I had a big craving for them, so I chowed down. A couple hours later the hell started. Started puking my damn guts out, violently. Puked for about 10 hours, and at that point it was morning, and was so sick it took all the energy and concentration I had to call into work. I laid on the living room floor vomiting blood and bile and wishing I were dead. And this is embarrassing...I was so freaking sick I couldn't get off the living room floor to even go to the bathroom...so I was unfortunately laying in my own...well, you know.

I probably should have gone to the hospital, but I was alone and sure couldn't drive myself. I didn't get fully well for several days. Just thinking about it gets me queasy. And, I've never had a desire for Arby's poppers again, lol.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

A*O

Nasty - sounds like you should have called the ambos Algernon. That was obviously serious food poisoning, not just a bout of gastro.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member

food poisoning is dreadful..i have had it once, but i can't remember from where..

I got it once from a Chinese restaurant. Me and my friend had both eaten there and it hit us both at the same time. We had to take turns running to the bathroom to puke lol. It pissed me off too b/c that was our favorite restaurant and it made us never want to go there again.

I got food poisioning once from Apple Bee's. My mother and I had the same meal (shrimp) and were both violently ill for 48 hours or so. I wanted to die. Horrible, horrible. But 2 days later, where was I eating again? Apple Bee's.

I've had it a couple of times but by far the worst food poisoning was what I experienced after eating what turned out to be an unpasteurized ice cream cone in Costa Rica. Someone bought it for me and I didn't want to eat it, but to be polite I took a couple of bites and then surreptitiously ditched it.

Went back to my room and a couple of hours later I was writhing and moaning in pain with horrendous stomach cramps and stuff was coming out both ends. I eventually passed out on the bathroom floor and only came to when the maid finally opened the door because she couldn't clean my room. I had been out for nearly 24 hours.

That was scary -- I could have died of dehydration. Since then, I NEVER eat anything I am unsure of, no matter how offended somebody else might be. My health comes first.

I just had a bout of it about two months ago. My bf and I ate at a local seafood house. I had the scallops and within about two hours I felt pretty bad. I woke up at 4 a.m with the most god-awful stomach cramps. My boyfriend and I were supposed to be heading out to San Francisco on a 9:00 am flight. Needless to say, I couldn't go, but I sent him away so I could wretch, vomit and go to the bathroom in peace. I went to bathroom (not very pleasant) and vomited several times an hour for about 9 hours. I couldn't even keep down water or gatorade. Finally, around 1 in the afternoon I was able to sleep a little, but I still felt like I had been hit by a truck.

My boyfriend didn't enjoy his weekend in SF (he had to go because his cousin got married and was having a reception that weekend). He called me every couple of hours to make sure I was OK.

I had it twice, both times at Burger King. I'm never eating there again.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Hit By Ban Bus!

I had a horrible poisoning in my teens when I mixed cold meds with some fried dumpling my mom had bought and I found in the oven the following morning. I got to the point of having hypothermia, fainting every 5 minutes or so, and not being able do hold down even water for a couple of days. My skin acquired a grayish tonality and my eyes were very deep and dark for a couple of weeks after the poisoning.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Holy crap! (no pun intended ) Some of these stories make my pale. I got it when my kids were little, from a store-bought pasta salad from Vons (Southern California). Other people at the picnic ate it, but I was the only one who got sick.

THREE MONTHS LATER, I was finally done with it, but not before lab tests (don't ask!), horrible pills that make your **** turn orange, re-testing, cramps, nausea, dizziness... it just never seemed to end.

Vons called to ask if I was going to sue them. (I had let them know they should prolly take the crap out of their refrigerator case.) Since I'd spent a gazillion years in the legal biz I knew it wasn't worth pursuing, so I told them no. If I hadn't had medical ins. at the time, though, I definitely would have. All that cost a load of $$ and time. Had I been working, probably could not have kept my job, that's how much it interfered with my life.

I never knew food poisoning was so time-consuming, disgusting and hard to get rid of! And I didn't eat store-bought pasta salad for at least 5 yrs.

I've had 3 mild boughts. They were vile, but nothing like the ordeals of some people I know that spent days in the hospital hooked up to IVs.

I got it twice on two different cruises. Buffets are breeding grounds! Anyway, a few hours after eating, it was coming out from both ends and I finally had to be taken to the cruise doctor for a shot of phenegren to keep anything down.

I think I may have gotten it from yet another buffet this summer at a popular pizza chain. Puked all night, finally around dawn I was on the floor writhing in pain wondering if I could make it to the phone to call the ambulance. In a moment of stupidity, I drug myself to my car and drove the mile and a half to the doctor. Another shot of phenegren, which burns like a sonofabitch, and I was okay in a day or two.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I tend to avoid buffets for that and other reasons.

These stories make me cringe too, nausea is like one of the worst feelings in the world, as is puking and sick to your stomach feeling. I have emetophobia too.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information