Thread: Benefits of cranberries

Default Benefits of cranberries

Research shows benefits of cranberries
    By The Associated Press
    Sun Nov 19, 1:40 PM ET

Cranberries are among the top foods with proven health benefits, according to Amy Howell, a researcher at Rutgers University.

Cranberries are full of antioxidants, which protects cells from damage by unstable molecules called free radicals.

The National Institutes of Health is funding research on the cranberry's effects on heart disease, yeast infections and other conditions, and other researchers are investigating its potential against cancer, stroke and viral infections.

So far, research has found:

• Drinking cranberry juice can block urinary infections by binding to bacteria so they can't adhere to cell walls. While women often drink unsweetened cranberry juice to treat an infection, there's no hard evidence that works.

• A compound Howell discovered in cranberries, proanthocyanidine, prevents plaque formation on teeth; mouthwashes containing it are being developed to prevent periodontal disease.

• In some people, regular cranberry juice consumption for months can kill the H. pylori bacteria, which can cause stomach cancer and ulcers.

Preliminary research also shows:

• Drinking cranberry juice daily may increase levels of HDL, or good cholesterol and reduce levels of LDL, or bad cholesterol.

• Cranberries may prevent tumors from growing rapidly or starting in the first place.

• Extracts of chemicals in cranberries prevent breast cancer cells from multiplying in a test tube; whether that would work in women is unknown.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061119/...y_craze_health
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I love cranberry juice!! cool news!!!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I don't drink cranberry juice all that often but I eat craisins/dried cranberries, those are good in salads and easy to munch on

Now I will make it my mission to try and drink more cranberry juice!

For Vancouverites...Superstore sells organic cranberry juice for a really good price.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I was FORCED to drink Cranberry juice as a child. CONSTANTLY, to the point where I couldn't even look at it. But, I'll tell you, never had any issues, and think that there is a lot of validity to this study. Need to get back on the bandwagon.

I love love love cranberry juice but I can't drink it! I don't know why but any kind of fruit juice gives me severe stomach pain.

A*O

There's cranberry juice (the sugar-laden Ocean Spray stuff) and there's cranberry juice (hardcore unsweetened organic). The latter is an acquired taste, diluted with lots of water but it's great. I also love so-called 'craisins' (dried cranberries) which are fab in muesli or mixed in with natural yogurt. I also make a cheat cranberry frozen yogurt by slightly defrosting a tup of foz yog and then mixing chopped nuts, craisins and anything else that looks yummy.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I've bought the organic concentrate -- a little goes a long way. Always loved cranberries. They're great for preventing, helping with mild bladder infections -- I used to mix powdered cranberries into my elderly cat's food and it helped him a lot.

Are the cranberry supplements in pill form a sufficient way to get the benefits? I started taking cranberry pills (4 to 6 a day) a month ago. I am mainly doing it to keep the UTIs away (oh they love to haunt me). I didn't know there were so many benefits to cranberries!
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

SVZ

Make sure you're getting cranberry juice (or pure concentrate) not cranberry cocktail...because that stuff will give you diabetes

I bought concentrate for about $30 and it lasted for a loooong time. I ended up giving some of it away in the end.

Thread Information