Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can your SO cook? Or just boil water?

Default Can your SO cook? Or just boil water?

Can your SO make you a scrumptious meal when you're feeling too tired or sick to cook? Or are you on your own when it comes to whipping up gourmet, or even edible, meals?

A*O

MrAO is an excellent cook (as opposed to chef). He can usually rustle something up, even from a very limited choice of ingredients. I think it's because he actually enjoys cooking and does not regard is as a chore or 'women's work'. He is also very good at creating meals using his imagination instead of a cookbook, although we have a whole library to choose from if he needs to check on something. My father was a good cook too, but he could only do it by slavishly following recipes and using EXACTLY the right ingredients in EXACTLY the right quantities. The results were great, but a bit soulless?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Mr. Lobelia cannot cook in the kitchen, but he is the best man I've ever met on the grill. He grills steak, chicken, burgers, veggies, shrimp, whatever, and it's better than any restaurant. He does cook mushrooms in a special way & people love them, but I hate mushrooms, so I don't know.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I'm coming over ladies. Tell the Misters I like my steak and burgers rare. I'll bring the salad.

Not a husband, but my dear Dad. He once made meatloaf. Had all the ingredients, it looked great. I helped with the roasted potatoes. Seems that he forgot the eggs....but remembered the breadcrumbs...so it was more like a hamburger and really really dry. We got out the ketchup.

Then there was the love of my life who made me lunch and I fell in love. We were having smoked salmon and other things. He sliced the baguette on a diagonal and I almost passed out. He's the one that got away.

I said this in another thread, but I'll put it here too. The BF doesn't cook very much, but he's really good at campfire cooking. He also makes really good chili from scratch, lately he's been using venison in the chili b/c it's leaner than beef, it's SO good.

Hubby is a griller, too. He can cook in the kitchen, but man what a mess when he is done!!
    He gets a little miffed when he is trying to cook because I am always "making suggestions" and he doesn't appreciate that...
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Awwww...the love of my life loved to cook, it was man food, but still quite good. The cutest thing was the "Eqyptian Eye", lol. Toast with a hole in it, and a sunnyside up egg in the hole! He got away too...sniff sniff

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

My husband can cook, when he feels like it...which is rarely. He doesn't use recipes, he just starts whipping up things that sound interesting to him. Once he made a crazy-good potato dish that had cinnamon, seasoned salt, and other mysterious 'secret' ingredients...and it turned out sooooo good. He loves making creative casseroles. I love when he cooks...but hate the way the kitchen looks when he is finished with his 'masterpieces'.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Troy can't cook for nothing. He can't even put a Lean Cusine in the microwave without burning it. He can put toghether salads and stuff like that, but put him near an oven or stove and it's over.

Hubby's idea of cooking is microwaving or opening a can. I've never been with a man who could cook, yet I have many friends with husbands/bfs who can cook up a storm. Drat, I hate that.

A*O

I think some people (men and women) have a natural talent for cooking, and some don't. Men only appear to be worse cooks then women because they were never taught how to do it, and were never expected to do it. Mothers have a lot to answer for on this one. Teach your sons to cook!!! And how many of us know families with 30yr old drones/kids still living at home because mommy still provides 3 (free) delicious meals a day and secretly loves the fact that her 'babies' obviously still 'need' her. Having said that, restaurant and hotel kitchens are still very much a man's world and most top chefs are men so being able to cook is not a 'secret' talent only women share. In fact, some of the worst cooks I know are women and they are usually the ones who obviously resent the whole process of preparing meals and their negative attitude comes across in terrible the terrible food.

The doctors in a smallish Aussie country town offered basic cookery classes to the large numbers of single or divorced middle aged men whose health was really beginning to suffer because they existed junk food of various descriptions. Many of them could just about make a cup of tea and that was it. After a lot of initial resistance along the lines of "cooking is for poofs" the classes became extremely popular not only for the skills the men were being taught, but also as a social gathering and 'therapy' group for these men who often had other problems like depression. I thought it was a fantastic idea.
    Dame Edna Everage

Sounds like a good idea. Cooking is fun -- ideally it's a shared, social activity, which is how I learned it as a child from my mother and aunts -- and then you get to eat all the good stuff!

BF has owned several restaurants-since sold.

So he CAN cook. He just won't.

I suspect I'm better at it than him anyway.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by KristiB View Post
    BF has owned several restaurants-since sold.

So he CAN cook. He just won't.
    I suspect I'm better at it than him anyway.
    Ah well, that's an entirely different problem
    Dame Edna Everage

Lil

The fat lad can cook, but has a very limited repertoire, as others have said of their partners. He never uses recipes, it has to involve meat and generally chillies, and he does a mean minced pork/veg/chilli thing with rice, and makes fantastic lamb kebabs, also with chilli and rice. I've tried buying 'blokey' cookbooks for him, but can't seem to get him inspired to try anything new.

You can always tell when he's cooking though. He tends to wander off, and sooner or later the smoke alarm will go off.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information