Thread: Do you buy organic food?

Default Do you buy organic food?

I do, sometimes, even though it can be more expensive. I especially notice the difference in fruit, greens and even brown or wild rice.

"Healthy eating" is big out here on the west coast and prices of organic produce and other items have started to come down substantially. My husband is a vegetarian so what we save on meat, we spend on organic produce, etc.

I buy a lot for my toddler. There is a great line of baby food/products from 'Earths Best', and they have it all for kids. From formula to apple juice.
    She loves it because that's all she's known. It's more expensive, no doubt, but I think it is worth it.
    I buy a lot of organic Tofu, and sometimes snacky stuff.....it does get pricey.

Sad when you can buy for the same price, a case of Raman noodles or one bag of organic salad...

Why yes indeedy, I would hit up Traders Joes especially. Everything is cheap and kinda healthy. Me and my mother almost lost it in there because everything is so tasty organically grown, although, some stuff tends to just slap that label on there and It makes me mad though. If it came to the point where I could grow my own, I would.
    Im ashamed to say what I did for a klondike bar...

Silver Member

I like to buy organic meats, but I learned that the veggies are not that much different. But buying organic meats is very inportant because of all of the odd things that are done to chickens and cows for example engeneered hormones and such, weird!!!

It was very easy to find when I was on the west coast, but in my current stupid little town, there's none to be had. It's too expensive for me right now anyway.

Bronze Member

Yep

Well, some things. We hit Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Mostly it's stuff for my son. He's 20 months and allergic to practically everything under the sun. So we get organic bread, applesauce, fruits, veggies, and the like for him. It does add up but I feel better giving him organics.

The rest we buy at the commisary. My husband left active duty but is still in the guard so it's cool that we still have commisary privileges. Everything is so much cheaper than at a regular grocery store, especially meat. But what we save there I spend at WF and TJ soo...

Quote Originally Posted by Rambie
    I like to buy organic meats, but I learned that the veggies are not that much different. But buying organic meats is very inportant because of all of the odd things that are done to chickens and cows for example engeneered hormones and such, weird!!!

the produce is extremely different. you get over 100xs more nutrients than you do with conventionally grown produce.

SVZ

i dunno about 100x, but they did do a little study where they compared an organic with a conventional orange. even though the conventional was TWICE!!! the size of the organic, it had 1.5x less vitamin C in it.

Silver Member

I think it's also an issue of pesticides; a lot of the commonly used pesticides and insecticides mimic hormones, so it's not just the bog standard hormones in meat, but the faux-hormones in the vegetables. Organic veg always tastes so much better, and the price is worth it, when you consider the cost of treating water, and the amount of people who are kileld through poisoning.

Having said that, currently I can only buy a limited amount of organics as I'm a student. Really miss the days when we grew our own organic fruit and veg in our garden

The food you grow yourself always tastes the best.

Thread Information