Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Thanksgiving: what do you eat?

Default Canadian Thanksgiving: what do you eat?

I have foolishly volunteered to make dinner for my family and a few friends. I'm going to do a traditional turkey meal: veggie dressing, home-made cranberry sauce, yams, mashed potatoes and gravy, salad (like anybody will be eating that ), pumpkin pie with whipped cream, and anything else I can think of.

What will the rest of you be eating? Any family favourites/specialities? Feel free to post recipes in the recipe section if so inspired.

So, nobody eats anything at Thanksgiving in Canada? Who knew?

A*O

I always thought Thanksgiving was a uniquely American thing given its historical roots with the native Indians and the turkeys and the first settlers etc. My sister has lived in Canada for the last 25yrs and I don't think she's ever 'celebrated' - it is a public holiday there?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Yes, it is. It is generally the second Monday of October, and it is a stat holiday. It's known informally as "Turkey Day."

We always make cornbread dressing. Are you familiar with it? You make the cornbread, dry it out for a day, add stock, sauteed veggies, sage, garlic, beaten eggs and bake.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I have foolishly volunteered to make dinner for my family and a few friends. I'm going to do a traditional turkey meal: veggie dressing, home-made cranberry sauce, yams, mashed potatoes and gravy, salad (like anybody will be eating that ), pumpkin pie with whipped cream, and anything else I can think of.

What will the rest of you be eating? Any family favourites/specialities? Feel free to post recipes in the recipe section if so inspired.

Looks like we'll be eating pretty much the same thing for Thanksgiving.

I make a sweet potato pie, similar to a pumpkin pie I suppose. I despise pie crust so for years I have been using cookie dough instead. For this pie I would use something along the lines of a gingersnap or spice cookie. I also like to separate the eggs so it's fluffier. Instead of fluting the edge of the pie crust you can cut leaf shapes out of leftover dough and make a garland of leaves around the edge. It looks pretty that way. I'm not a recipe user generally - more of a dump stuff in until it looks/tastes right sort of person. I'll see if I can find and adapt a recipe.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    I make a sweet potato pie, similar to a pumpkin pie I suppose. I despise pie crust so for years I have been using cookie dough instead. For this pie I would use something along the lines of a gingersnap or spice cookie. I also like to separate the eggs so it's fluffier. Instead of fluting the edge of the pie crust you can cut leaf shapes out of leftover dough and make a garland of leaves around the edge. It looks pretty that way. I'm not a recipe user generally - more of a dump stuff in until it looks/tastes right sort of person. I'll see if I can find and adapt a recipe.
    I think sweet potato pie is MUCH better than pumpkin..I used to make a sweet potato pie with cashews arranged on the top and honey drizzled over it! yum yum!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Mmmmm... that sounds fab, Soj. We mash our sweet potatos and bake them with mini marshmallows in them. Sooooo good... Damn, I can't wait til Thanksgiving

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    Mmmmm... that sounds fab, Soj. We mash our sweet potatos and bake them with mini marshmallows in them. Sooooo good... Damn, I can't wait til Thanksgiving

Jeez - that's so sweet it would make my teeth ache!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

It's not too bad. You figure, sweet potatos on their own really aren't sweet sweet, and we only use a reasonable amount of marshmallows, not goo-overload. Adds a nice diversion from the other more savory Thanksgiving menu items...

No Thanksgiving in Canada? I'm Canadian and we make the big turkey dinner every year. Sadly, I think the holiday has lost meaning, as it really is about the turkey now.
    I saw a film today, oh boy.

^ And the football, don't forget the football

I've firmed up my menu, adding a couple of twists this year. Instead of brandied cranberries, I'm going to make orange brandied cranberries -- just adding a bit of fresh OJ and zest. I've made cornbread stuffing before, but this year will do asage, apple, celery, onion, breadcrumbs and water chesnut mixture. I'll probably throw in a few other things, too. I am doing my yam dish -- it's mandatory -- Yukon gold and roasted garlic mashed potatoes, gravy of course, and adding a twist for the green veggie -- fresh peas in the pods with mint. They're stringless and sweet, so we'll see how that goes over.

I am making an endive appetizer -- leaves filled with light cream cheese and pomegranate seeds (I stole this from a friend) and guests are bringing a spinach dip, salmon cheese puffs and marinated fresh peppers.

I'm sticking to pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream -- I never use the canned stuff -- and a big bowl of fruit. I've had sweet potato pie and I find it too sweet for my taste, and since this is one of the few times I actually eat dessert, I'm going for what I like best.

Oh yeah, we're having lots and lots of wine. I invited two more friends yesterday -- this way, family HAS to behave. No more Eugene O'Neill family dinners for me.

I can't wait for dinner. My mommy is making it, and I'm bringing one of my roomates home with me. She's from New Zealand and she said she's never had a real turkey dinner before! I told her she hasn't lived yet.

We are pretty typical. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, honeyed carrots, scissor buns, gravy, and brussels sprouts although nobody eats those except my mom and my grandpa, although my roomate says she likes them! So I guess she'll be eating some too this year.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information