Thread: Don't Eat Bagged Spinach!

Default Don't Eat Bagged Spinach!

Sept. 15, 2006 --The FDA is advising consumers not to eat bagged, fresh spinach while it probes a multistate outbreak of E. coli which has reportedly killed one person and sickened 50 others.

Those numbers were reported to the CDC, according to an FDA news release.

The Associated Press reports that Wisconsin is where the death occurred and where 20 fell ill, including 11 in Milwaukee.
    The FDA is investigating the outbreak, which has been seen in eight states: Connecticut, Idaho, Indiana, Michigan, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, and Wisconsin.

Preliminary evidence suggests that bagged fresh spinach may be a possible cause of the outbreak, says the FDA.

Based on its current information, the FDA is advising consumers not to eat bagged fresh spinach at this time and to call a doctor if they believe they may have gotten sick after eating bagged spinach.

FDA's Comments

"Given the severity of this illness and the seriousness of the outbreak, the FDA believes that a warning to consumers is needed," says the FDA's Robert Brackett, PhD, in a news release.

Brackett directs the FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition.

"We are working closely with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and state and local agencies to determine the cause and scope of the problem," Brackett says.

About the Outbreak

The outbreak involves E. coli 0157:H7, a strain of the E. coli bacterium which causes diarrhea, often with bloody stools.

Although most healthy adults can recover completely within a week, some people can develop a form of kidney failure called hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS).

HUS is most likely to occur in young children and the elderly. It can lead to serious kidney damage and death.

HUS killed one person and sickened eight others in the current E. coli outbreak, says the FDA.

The FDA says it will update consumers on the investigation as more information becomes available

bagged spinach? i heard recently it was bagged salad..hmm. I ate bagged spinach last night for dinner and feel fine.

Rut roh Rastro!
    I loves me some bagged Spinach and/or Salad. I heard it was just the spinach, but am staying away from all of it for at least the weekend. Oh well...damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I heard this morning on the Today show that if you wash it thoroughly you might be okay. I'm actually in Wisconsin where I heard about the death, but they did say it's hit Ohio now as well.
    You were lucky to have me. But you know what? I think I already got the best part of you. And she's standing right out there. I don't know... what's left just doesn't look so good anymore. Hope Floats

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

A few years ago in Japan, we had a big E. coli outbreak from packaged bean sprouts. But after some investigation, it turned out the sprouts weren't actually the culprits, the sprouts industry nevertheless sufferred the consequences. I think they ended up suing the gvt.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Zee

Heard a report that washing it well may not remove the bacteria. Another reason to drink.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Quote Originally Posted by zorbeet View Post
    Heard a report that washing it well may not remove the bacteria. Another reason to drink.

Ah, Hell. Any reason to drink!
    You were lucky to have me. But you know what? I think I already got the best part of you. And she's standing right out there. I don't know... what's left just doesn't look so good anymore. Hope Floats

Wine and chocolate is the way to go I guess

A*O

I saw a TV prog about a massive food poisoning outbreak in the US a few years back. It was more about how they managed to work out why people from ALL over the country were falling sick (I think some even died) and what the cause was. In the end it turned out to be some washed salad, grown in Mexico (I think) and shipped to restaurants and supermarkets all over the US. The water used in the washing process at the factory was contaminated. I was very interesting, but scary to see how easily and how far these things can spread.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Zee

Went on vacation to a swanky resort with my husband and children. Whole family ended up with food poisoning from the restaurant raspberries. Ended up going to the emergency room twice. Still get a Christmas card from the doctor who examined us.

Spinach bad. Salad Bad. Berries Bad. Alcohol Good. Chocolate Good.

Sticking with alcohol.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Lil

Quote Originally Posted by zorbeet View Post
    Spinach bad. Salad Bad. Berries Bad. Alcohol Good. Chocolate Good.
    lol! Amen to that.

There was a big thing over here recently about the very high chlorine content of the water that these bagged salads are washed in - more than the average swimming pool in some cases. Yuk.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Jeepers, you TRY to eat better and look what you get?? Freaking chlorine and feces in your goddamned spinach! What the hell??

Fuck food, just drink heavily.

Im hoping this is only for bagged spinach and not frozen or canned. MMMMM

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Thats why me and my cat only eat organic spinach that comes in a box! They're now saying that organic spinach was not affected...BooYa!

Company: Organic Spinach Not To Blame
    (AP) The company whose fresh spinach was linked to an E. coli outbreak that's sickened at least 109 people said its organic products had been cleared of suspicion, while health officials continued working to pinpoint the bacteria source.

Natural Selection Foods LLC, the country's largest grower of organic produce, said late Sunday that manufacturing codes from packages of spinach that infected patients turned over to health officials all were from non-organic spinach. Natural Selection packages both organic and conventionally grown spinach in separate areas at its San Juan Bautista plant.

The company, however, did not immediately lift any recalls of 34 brands. Those brands include the company's own labels and those of other companies that had contracts with Natural Selection to produce or package its spinach.

Meanwhile, Salinas-based River Ranch Fresh Foods added to its recall spring mixes containing spinach sold under the labels Hy-Vee, Fresh N' Easy and Farmers Market, FDA officials said. All contain spinach purchased from Natural Selection, they said.

The Food and Drug Administration and California Department of Health Services planned Monday to work toward tracing the infected greens to individual farms. The inquiry will review irrigation methods, harvest conditions and other practices at farms possibly involved.

The spinach could have been contaminated in the field or during processing. About 74 percent of the fresh-market spinach grown in the U.S. comes from California, according to the California Farm Bureau Federation.

There is no indication that the outbreak was deliberate, said Dr. David Acheson, chief medical officer with the FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition.

The FDA continued to warn consumers not to eat fresh spinach or products containing fresh spinach until further notice.

"This is unquestionably a significant outbreak in terms of E. coli," Acheson said.

E. coli cases linked to tainted spinach have been reported in 19 states, with Wisconsin reporting the most cases, including the death of a 77-year-old woman.

Other states reporting cases were California, Connecticut, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, Nevada, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wyoming, according to the CDC.

Seven new cases reported Sunday were in states with previous illnesses, Acheson said.

In Ohio, state health officials said they were investigating the death of a 23-month-old girl who was sickened by E. coli to determine whether the case was related to the outbreak. The girl's mother said she often buys bagged spinach.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Sunday they've started an Atlanta-based emergency operations center to help state health agencies with E. coli testing. Epidemiologists are helping test spinach samples and stool samples of infected people, center spokeswoman Lola Russell said.

The center is helping when state health agencies can't perform the tests or when a second opinion is needed, Russell said.

Natural Selection recalled its packaged spinach throughout the United States, Canada and Mexico as a precaution after federal health officials said some of those hospitalized reported eating brands of prepackaged spinach distributed by the company.

However, some restaurants and retailers may be taking spinach out of bags before selling it, so consumers shouldn't buy it at all, the FDA said.

Boiling contaminated spinach can kill the bacteria, but washing won't eliminate it, the CDC warned.

Federal officials stressed that the bacteria had not been isolated in products sold by Natural Selection. As the investigation continues, other brands may be implicated, officials said.

Natural Selection was founded in 1984 by Drew and Myra Goodman. Within two years, its best-known brand, Earthbound Farm, began shipping pre-washed, packaged salad fixings, and the company's "spring mix" became a mainstay of restaurants and supermarkets.

(© 2006 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
    kcal.com
    Last edited by AliceInWonderland; September 18th, 2006 at 11:35 AM.

Thread Information