Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a restaurant

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Recommend a restaurant

On the weekend, hubby and I went to this Japanese restaurant beside our building called Aki (for the fellow Vancouverites, it's at Thurlow and Alberni, in the same underground complex as that Brazilian restaurant Samba)

It's very authentic in every way. The chefs and the wait staff are all Japanese and are very friendly. I even chatted with the sushi chefs as we sat at the sushi bar. The decor and the architecture of the place is very at-home to me..., cozy and it really feels like you are in Japan. Many of the patrons were also Japanese (which I think is a good sign if you are looking to dine at an authentic restaurant...)

The food was awesome. I watched the chefs make various dishes and they have a way of presenting the food very aesthetically. Another fun thing at this place is that they have the Robata grill in the middle and you can watch the cooks grill stuff in front of you.

We had chirashi, BBQed (Robata) salmon belly (highly recommended) and BBQed smelt. I wish we had more money to spend/had bigger stomachs cuz their sockeye salmon sashimi looked beautiful and delicious.

Here are some reviews

YUM

By A Yahoo! User from Vancouver
    04/12/06
    Overall:FoodServiceAmbianceValueLast Visit:
    March 2006

Great for:
    Groups, Seafood, Sushi

This place has a great atmosphere. The servers are very friendly and extremely quick. I actually find that perhaps they are a little too quick.

The food is always fresh and always tasty. I have had a lot of Japanese food in Vancouver and I have to say that I think it's the best. The robata is wonderful. I love the miso-mayonnaise oysters but if you don't like rich tasting food, you may want to skip this dish.
    http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-28...HIx5DzwZFmoL#1
    Favorite among the Japanese local. There are not many Japanese restaurant in Vancouver that are actually run by Japanese anymore, which it is unfortunate. My idea of a great Japanese restaurant... regular customers eat at the sushi bar almost at a nightly bases, talking and drinking with the chef, other regulars and the owner. The architecture... "japanese" of course, a lots of unfinished BIG beams of wood beams and columns... THE FOOD IS EXCELLENT.

whatever on the freah sheet.
    Leave a Comment

Theme: Japanese/Sushi
    Price: US$31-40 » Currency Converter
    Comparison: more expensive than average
    Address: 745 Thurlow St., Vancouver, BC V6E 3V5
    Phone: (604) 682-4032
    Directions: Downtown, Thurlow and Alberni, down the stair
    http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...rant-BR-1.html

^^I didn't think it was all that expensive though, I'd say it's average or even cheap for this type of establishment and the quality of food, we spend about $50 (add 20% on top for the tip) for 2 ppl.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I don't know any restaurants in Vancouver, but I can recommend some in Houston, TX.

Mark's 1658 (www.marks1658.com) is a restaurant located on Westheimer (near the Galleria) in an old church. It's very romantic and the food is delicious. It frequently wins awards and was named "Best Restaurant in Houston." The portions are not huge, but the food is incredible. I like the desserts. Prices are moderate to high. I like the Scottish Smoked Salmon appetizer and Ahi Tuna Medallions entree. All of the desserts are outstanding. They have some seasonal desserts around Christmas that each have a theme and come with a shot accordingly (the two I remember are peppermint and gingerbread).

Katz's Deli (www.ilovekatzs.com) is a fun, 24 hour New York style deli located on Westheimer in Montrose. A lot (if not all) of the food is prepared in a Jewish style, which I am not familiar with, but it's delicious. You get a complimentary bucket of pickles which are ice cold and very fresh. I normally don't even like pickles, but these are great.They serve breakfast 24 hours and have really good pancakes, omelettes, and belgian waffles, as well as some traditional Jewish meals such as potato pancakes and applesauce. They also have deli style sandwiches and are one of the few restaurants in Houston that can make an egg cream (chocolate milk and seltzer water). Their specialty is the cheesecake milkshake, which is an entire slice of cheesecake blended with your choice of chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry ice cream and served in a large metal jar. Moderate prices.

Rio Ranch
    This is located on Westheimer and connected to the Hilton Houston Westchase hotel. Their Sunday breakfast buffet is unbelievable. It can be expensive, but the it's worth it. They have waffles, fresh fruit, blackberries, raspberries, pastries, biscuits, cinnamon rolls, granola, cereal, an omelette station, bacon, sausage, whipped cream, etc. Literally any kind of breakfast food you can imagine.

FYI - Katz's Deli in NYC is where Meg Ryan had her movie orgasm in When Harry Met Sally (I'll have what she's having..) There is a sign hanging above the exact table where she sat.

One traditional thing to eat at Katz's is a pastrami sandwich on rye with mustard, potato salad and a Celray tonic soda. 10 bucks. Makes two meals.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

You can recommend any restaurant you liked wherever you are. I'm sure there are other posters or even lurkers who live in your area.

And thanks guys for joining in, in my thread.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

There's a Turkish restaurant here in Lafayette called Sofra. They have AWESOME hummus....

A*O

There's a Chinese restaurant in Melbourne called the Flower Drum (Google it) which has been described as the best Chinese restaurant in the world outside China. This town is Good Food Central let me tell you from the humblest cafe to the topend 5* gourmet experience.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Best BBQ place in the lower 48---right here in Syracuse.

'The Dinosaur Barbeque'! You'll wait forever for a table, but its well worth it.

They just opened another one in NYC.....

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Baja Fresh!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah Baby Yeah!!!!

Cental Ohio

-Fine Dining: The Refectory

-Casual: Schmidt's in German Village: "Accordion players serenade and servers are decked out in Bavarian costumes at this popular two-level, beer hall-style restaurant in an 1880 brick building in German Village. Specialties include German pasta and their signature Bahama Mama -- a giant bratwurst served with your choice of toppings, such as sauerkraut and mustard. Save room for large, overstuffed cream puffs."
    (cream puffs here = )

-Even more Casual: Thurman's (great wings, HUGE burgers)..there ALWAYS seems to be a wait here.

-Fast Food: White Castle of course.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Cental Ohio

-Fine Dining: The Refectory

-Casual: Schmidt's in German Village: "Accordion players serenade and servers are decked out in Bavarian costumes at this popular two-level, beer hall-style restaurant in an 1880 brick building in German Village. Specialties include German pasta and their signature Bahama Mama -- a giant bratwurst served with your choice of toppings, such as sauerkraut and mustard. Save room for large, overstuffed cream puffs."
    (cream puffs here = )
    No offence darl, but that German place sounds like a Living Hell - accordions! Bavarian costumes!! giant bratwurst!!!
    Themed restaurants [shudder]
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I don't know any restaurants in Vancouver, but I can recommend some in Houston, TX.

Mark's 1658 (www.marks1658.com) is a restaurant located on Westheimer (near the Galleria) in an old church. It's very romantic and the food is delicious. It frequently wins awards and was named "Best Restaurant in Houston." The portions are not huge, but the food is incredible. I like the desserts. Prices are moderate to high. I like the Scottish Smoked Salmon appetizer and Ahi Tuna Medallions entree. All of the desserts are outstanding. They have some seasonal desserts around Christmas that each have a theme and come with a shot accordingly (the two I remember are peppermint and gingerbread).

Katz's Deli (www.ilovekatzs.com) is a fun, 24 hour New York style deli located on Westheimer in Montrose. A lot (if not all) of the food is prepared in a Jewish style, which I am not familiar with, but it's delicious. You get a complimentary bucket of pickles which are ice cold and very fresh. I normally don't even like pickles, but these are great.They serve breakfast 24 hours and have really good pancakes, omelettes, and belgian waffles, as well as some traditional Jewish meals such as potato pancakes and applesauce. They also have deli style sandwiches and are one of the few restaurants in Houston that can make an egg cream (chocolate milk and seltzer water). Their specialty is the cheesecake milkshake, which is an entire slice of cheesecake blended with your choice of chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry ice cream and served in a large metal jar. Moderate prices.

Rio Ranch
    This is located on Westheimer and connected to the Hilton Houston Westchase hotel. Their Sunday breakfast buffet is unbelievable. It can be expensive, but the it's worth it. They have waffles, fresh fruit, blackberries, raspberries, pastries, biscuits, cinnamon rolls, granola, cereal, an omelette station, bacon, sausage, whipped cream, etc. Literally any kind of breakfast food you can imagine.
    My husband and I went to Rio Ranch last December. AMAZING!!!
    I have always wanted to try Katz's also.
    Another excellent place is Niko Niko's Greek Resturant. Their Gyros are the best and highly recommend Yalandji Dolmas . Here is the website http://www.nikonikos.com/
    Thanks Sounthernbelle Ill have to try out Mark's 1658

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    No offence darl, but that German place sounds like a Living Hell - accordions! Bavarian costumes!! giant bratwurst!!!
    Themed restaurants [shudder]
    Well I did give another option in the 'casual dining' area . Actually the area of town is completely historically German..the building, the architecture, the part of town. It really was built and settled by Germans and is very densely built very much like a European city(hell to find a parking space)! The 'themed' part is actually a little overblown..it is not that bad. And the food is VERY good...and I don't even like German food that much. I don't recall the accordions either..but they are dressed up like 'Germans'..lederhosen and all! The women actually look to me to be made up like old fashioned German tarts! hehehe.

A*O

You ought to take Grimm there on a date. It might cheer him up a bit.
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    You ought to take Grimm there on a date. It might cheer him up a bit.
    I think I would be too old for Grimm(and probably too poor..and not athletic enough.. and not smart enough..and .. well who does he think he is?? FUCK HIM!! ). Also after all of the shit I have posted on here about Ohio I doubt he would even step foot in this state. (Ohio is really not THAT bad people!)

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    well who does he think he is?? FUCK HIM!!
    He's a bloke = he's a bastard (and you are smart enough)
    Dame Edna Everage

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information