Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Recommend a random grocery product!

Default Recommend a random grocery product!

I was inspired by the thread in the beauty section. Post any food products you can't live without and recommend, any new Trader Joe products that are worth trying, etc.

my recommendation is the oatly barista blend oat milk.
    i love cow's milk and it was painful having to mostly give it up. i now make myself a fog (basically a tea latte) most mornings with fake milk, and only have cow milk and coffee on the weekends. my go to was TJ's unsweetened almond, cashew and macadamia blend but almond milk production is awful for the environment so i wanted to switch to oat but all the ones they sell in the pantry section of the grocery store (like the pacific one) aren't great and don't foam up very well. oatly is in the refrigerated section and it is amazing, it's rich and creamy and actually tastes milky. and it's actually really good with coffee too and foams really nicely.

I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I love oat everything. That reminds me - I was in Wegman's this morning, and was kind of shocked to see something called "almond milk yogurt". Since yogurt is created by adding bacteria to a milk product, I couldn't figure out how something that is basically almost powder suspended in water could be digested and thickened by the same bacteria.

Anyway, this is something that Mrs Mo and I have been eating a lot lately as a snack. The nutritional content is great - in a 28g (55 chickpea) serving, you have 120 calories, only 3 g of fat, 6 g of protein, 16 g of carbs, 1 g of sugar and 6 g of dietary fiber.

It's gluten free, egg free, shellfish free, milk free - so pretty safe for people with a lot of allergies.

The texture is light and crispy. the taste is kind of umami. There is a honey roasted version that is freaking awesome - like candy. Same calorie count, but 6 g of sugar instead of 1. A 5 oz/142 g bag is about $3.49. While a 10 oz bag is about $5.79.

sputnik likes this.

^^^^
    i've tried chickpea snacks but they're always too dry so once you get past the seasoning, it's like chewing little chalk balls with a faint chickpea taste. i haven't tried that brand though, i'll check them out if i see them.

and yes, almond yogurt is pretty delicious. i switched to that during the really strict phase of my anti-inflammatory elimination diet and even after i had reintroduced dairy i stuck with it because i actually prefer the taste to regular yogurt which i'm really bored of.

my issue with alternative yogurts is they almost always have added sugar and/or sweeteners, even the plain ones, and i don't want either. if i want to sweeten my yogurt i'll do it myself, why does the default have to be sweetened? whole foods has a really good unsweetened organic almond yogurt and i finally found an unsweetened coconut yogurt too.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^^ Yeah, I hate when people add a bunch of salt and/or sugar to my stuff. In my own family, people will feel like they need to add salt to stuff. About 4 weeks ago, I made lentil soup with about 2 pounds of lentils. Mrs Mo asked how much salt I added to it. I said "none". But then, I had added leftover spiral cut ham to it and that has tons of salt. Just trust me to find the salt shaker myself if I want it.

With regard to the chick peas, I've seen people complain about them being dry or grainy or something like that. I'm only familiar with what Wegman's sells in terms of chickpea snacks. I have to admit also that I am also able to "make" myself like something if I think it's good for me. I have replaced snacking on pita chips and other stuff with these. In combination with actually counting my calories (my fitness tracker app) I'm down to 163 pounds from about 170 four weeks ago. We'll see if I can keep it up, though, LOL.
    sputnik likes this.

I love chickpeas!
    I'm waiting for the temperature to drop a little bit so I can make roasted chickpeas at home. I don't want to use the oven in the summer :/
    I'm eating almost daily a salad with tomatoes + chickpeas + olives + dressing.

I've been trying different brands of dulce de leche premium, and my favourite one so far is San Ignacio, second favourite is Havanna.

So if you have the chance wherever you live to buy a jar, I highly recommend it.

I have the San Ignacio one on my table, right now
    palta likes this.
    -

i'm not a fan of dulce de leche which i know is some kind of sacrilegious crime but i travel to south america quite a bit for work and i always buy alfajores and dulce de leche from havanna to bring back to the office and for presents because people are crazy about that stuff.
    palta and Brookie like this.

I love this stuff. I marinate chicken wings in it and then bake them. They come out delicious. It's also great to marinate steak and chicken breasts for shish kabobs.
    sputnik likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i'm not a fan of dulce de leche which i know is some kind of sacrilegious crime but i travel to south america quite a bit for work and i always buy alfajores and dulce de leche from havanna to bring back to the office and for presents because people are crazy about that stuff.
    I'm not a fan either I rather have chocolate, but I eat dulce de leche with butter on toast and a cup of black coffee once in a while, or a slice of cheese with ddl as dessert.
    Those alfajores are delicious. When I was a kid, Havanna was something you found only in Mar del Plata (along with Balcarce), and it was a default present when people went on summer holidays. Now you have stores everywhere.

Have you tried the 70% cacao ones?

I've been drinking Oatly specifically in one way or another every day. It really is the best alternative and the closest to real milk I have ever had. I say this as someone who consumes all kinds of dairy products and is picky. I also agree with Sputnik about the nut milks. They are terrible for the environment.

I've been drinking matcha lattes with Oatly because I've not been feeling well and I can get them cheap and sans sugar like the garbage from Starbucks.

This one is just dumb, but...Parmigiano Reggiano...buy it in the big hunks rather than the pre-grated garbage. At Whole Foods, it's literally $4 cheaper per pound, you should always get some rind on it for soups and sauces, and you lose about 90% of the flavor when you grate it that far in advance. Pet peeve of mine.

As for yogurt, I've been buying the 365 whole fat Greek yogurt. I try not to buy the sweetened ones.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    This one is just dumb, but...Parmigiano Reggiano...buy it in the big hunks rather than the pre-grated garbage. At Whole Foods, it's literally $4 cheaper per pound, you should always get some rind on it for soups and sauces, and you lose about 90% of the flavor when you grate it that far in advance. Pet peeve of mine.
    Mrs. Mo buys giant triangular blocks of parmesano reggiano - I think it was at Costco or BJ's, though. And I love it. We just cut off small slices and eat it every once in a while. It lasts a long time at our house. If I'm going to eat something fatty, like cheese, it has to taste INTENSE, which is what I love about parmesano reggiano. Or asiago.

ETA - what the hell is dulce de leche? It looks like Nutella.
    Waterslide and sputnik like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post

ETA - what the hell is dulce de leche? It looks like Nutella.
    I don't know, but I want it! I've eaten dulce de leche cake and ice cream, but I've never seen a spread of it.
    palta likes this.

^^^^
    it's basically milk caramel. sweetened, super condensed milk. you can make it yourself at home, just take a can of condensed milk, closed, and simmer it in a pot of hot water for a few hours, wait for it to cool, open the can and voilą, homemade dulce de leche.

Quote Originally Posted by palta View Post
    Have you tried the 70% cacao ones?

i have, and they're nice. i don't hate alfajores, it's just that like most sweets, i can take them or leave them.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    yes. pre-grated parmesan is a crime. you lose most of the flavour. and agree about the rind. toss it in with soup or lentils or beans for instant umami.
    Waterslide and MohandasKGanja like this.

^ I've never tried the condensed milk homemade version.

Shellee: I love dulce de leche ice cream with dulce de leche spread and brownies. I have a sweet tooth

It says on the Havanna USA site that there is a store in south Florida, and it seems available in Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/2...eb_20069969011 but it seems expensive. I've paid 350 pesos (5 dollars aprox) for a 400g jar.
    sputnik, ConstanceSpry and SHELLEE like this.

^ I have a huge sweet tooth too.
    Brookie, ConstanceSpry and palta like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information