Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Foods/Dishes you hated as a child, but love as an adult?

Default Foods/Dishes you hated as a child, but love as an adult?

I was just thinking about this a couple nights ago as I was fixing about two gallons of lentil bean soup....

Hated as a kid, but love as an adult:

• Chili
    • Lentil beans or lentil bean soup
    • Split pea soup
    • Yogurt
    • Brie
    • Cheesecake
    • Asparagus
    • Cauliflower - especially raw

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Mayonnaise. Hated it as a kid, love it now. Also coleslaw.
    MohandasKGanja and fgg like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I was a weird kid and ate almost anything even back then but there are a few things I hated as a kid and love now:

- walnuts, macadamia nuts, pecans, Brazil nuts. Still donít like most nuts in desserts but love them on their own or in savoury dishes.

- mayo. Hated it as a kid. Donít love it now but i do like it and it has its uses

- rice. I didnít hate it hate it but it bored me and we had it way too often at home.

- cauliflower. I think a lot of that had to do with how it was prepared. It was usually mushy or totally raw with dip which is disgusting. And I love raw veggies but cauliflower just doesnít work raw.
    MohandasKGanja and Waterslide like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Vegetables. I'd only eat mashed potatoes and mushrooms. I "discovered" salads and other tasty stuff in my 20's.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I was a weird kid and ate almost anything even back then but there are a few things I hated as a kid and love now:

- walnuts, macadamia nuts, pecans, Brazil nuts. Still don’t like most nuts in desserts but love them on their own or in savoury dishes.

- cauliflower. I think a lot of that had to do with how it was prepared. It was usually mushy or totally raw with dip which is disgusting. And I love raw veggies but cauliflower just doesn’t work raw.
    You just reminded me - I hated nuts in desserts as a kid. Now, I love it. I used to hate Snickers bars, now they are one of my favorites. I love things that have a mix of textures in them.

Cauliflower - I love it raw in salads. I think it's also versatile in cooking because you can mash it and substitute it for a high-carb food (potatoes, rice) in meals.

Skim milk - hated it as a kid, drank thousand of gallons of it as an adult. Have relented and bought 1% milk due to the pleas of my children. But their first 10 years, they were on skim.
    Waterslide likes this.

Skim milk is gross! It tastes like liquid sadness. And Mo, it’s bad for kids, you shouldn’t give children anything less than whole for at least the first few years. I remember paediatricians really insisting on that both in Canada and in Switzerland and my mom freaking out because she was so brainwashed by the diet industry she thought anything above 2% was evil.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Skim milk is gross! It tastes like liquid sadness. And Mo, it’s bad for kids, you shouldn’t give children anything less than whole for at least the first few years. I remember paediatricians really insisting on that both in Canada and in Switzerland and my mom freaking out because she was so brainwashed by the diet industry she thought anything above 2% was evil.
    We had that concern, too, Sputnik, but skim has the same amount of protein, calcium, and carbs as whole milk. We may have had them on 2% until they were around 2 -- and did everything with the advice of a pediatrician. They were getting the missing fat from other foods.

Here are mine:

- mustard.
    - raisins. just for salads. i love them soaked in balsamic vinegar.
    - tomato sauce. it looked like blood to me. i just ate pasta with butter and cheese.

Still, skim is way more processed. But on a taste level, why would you do that to your children? It’s culinary child abuse

Still, skim is way more processed. But on a taste level, why would you do that to your children? It’s culinary child abuse
    It's funny, but it's like one of those things where you don't know what you're missing if you didn't have it (or don't remember having it) in the first place. So, they honestly didn't know the difference. Only when they visited other people - or our nieces and nephews visited us ("Hey, Mo, our kid is not going to drink that skim stuff") did they see that the grass was creamier on the other side. Even now, I think the four of us drink about 3 gallons of 1% a week. It used to be more like 4+ gallons.

Everything. I was a picky eater as a kid and only ate meat and potatoes with maybe a little bit of lettuce as my "vegetable". And only certain meats - no pork, no fish, nothing minced... I was a pain for my poor mother who would always have to make a different meal for me than the rest of the family. At least I ate fruit, so I wasn't at risk of scurvy.

Now, I'm vegetarian, and I eat pretty much every vegetable around. I grew out of being fussy in my early 20s and now I love my plate to be colourful, and to always try new things. It happens to a lot of people as we get older.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

For me, it's got to be coffee.
    Oh, you want child abuse? My parents used to stretch household finances by making a mixture of actual milk and "milk" made from powdered milk, which was cheaper back in the day. That was disgusting. Mealtimes would involve chugging that foul liquid as quickly as possible so that we could clean the taste from our mouths with food.
    sputnik likes this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

I forgot about coffee! I started drinking it regularly when I started my first real job (and needed to stay awake at a desk). But dating a central American woman made me love it.

I've tried powdered milk. Tried to at least tolerate it, but it doesn't taste to me anything like milk. Occasionally, I would buy a box of it to keep in our basement, just in case something crazy happened and we need to give our kids something milk-like for a week or so.
    Brookie likes this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    For me, it's got to be coffee.

Oh, you want child abuse? My parents used to stretch household finances by making a mixture of actual milk and "milk" made from powdered milk, which was cheaper back in the day. That was disgusting. Mealtimes would involve chugging that foul liquid as quickly as possible so that we could clean the taste from our mouths with food.
    Urgh! A friend's mum insisted on using Marvel milk powder instead of milk. It takes Sput's Skim liquid sadness and depresses it even further. And she used to heat it up and pour it over cereal for a hot breakfast and that made it even worse.
    MohandasKGanja and sputnik like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

If we ran out of milk my mother would improvise and give us evaporated milk with water. It did not taste the same at all but it was still better than skim milk.

I actually loved coffee as a kid and would sneak sips from my mother’s morning cafe au lait and I would sometimes steal my mom’s lipstick and stand in front of the mirror pretending to smoke a cigarette and drink coffee. Sometimes as a treat she’d let me have warm milk with instant decaf and it tasted like heaven. But yeah I was a little weirdo and I also loved beer, anchovies and olives.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information