Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: butter

czb

Default butter

ok - i was inspired by the meghan markle thread in which we had a discussion about butter brands. when i was at the local market, i was looking at the butter section and there are so many kinds. so i took a pic. look at the second shelf - that has the exotic (eg, non-CA) brands. which do you suggest? thanks!
    palta and Waterslide like this.

I've used the kerrygold, plugra and lurpak and they were very good. I usually use these when the butter is really important in the recipe (like for fettucine alfredo), not just throwing a pat in the pan for cooking in the butter. For that I stick to regular supermarket stuff like breakstone's
    czb, greysfang and Waterslide like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I use Land of Lakes, Challenge or Kerry Gold when I am baking . I like to try all the differnt types when I am baking . I bake a lot and I stocked up last month when it was on sale and have an absurd amount of butter in the fridge
    czb likes this.

czb

normally i use the straus, clover (both local) or challenge. but i wanted to try something new. straus and clover are both better than challenge, btw.

I use Kerrygold. But the best I've had I made myself and it was ridiculously fast and easy.

$6.19 for Land O' Lakes! This is a fancy store holy shit!!
    I saw DEATH, an anorexic penguin, an overcooked Gollum, Mr. Burns in need of a haircut and a methed-up Riff Raff.--Michael K. on Phil Spector

czb

well, to be fair, this is the local store. i think LoL is cheaper at the safeway (which is where i usually buy butter). i just shop at this market because they have the best produce, chicken, and meat. the prices on those items are typically competitive with safeway. but this place has the best selection of non-US butter.

you can't buy buffalo milk butter at the safeway. but this market has some crazy stuff... like honey made from bees that live in tiburon. or olive oil made in pt reyes.

I've had kerrygold and Plugra and really like them both. I was going to try the Lurpak, but I haven't seen it here yet. I also really like Amish butter for baking as in my normally so-so pie crusts came out perfect. The Amish just roll up a big hunk of it in wax paper, so you won't find it in neat little rectangles like other brands. Sorry, I can't remember it's name right now.
    czb and Waterslide like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

A*O

Different brands down under although the ubiquitous Lurpak is available. Meh. I prefer to support Aussie dairy farmers and buy local if possible. Unsalted for baking, salted on bread/toast. Very important. Oh and I sometimes get French cultured butter from Costco which is a bit pricey but delicious.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

The reason we Americans are so interested is because our dairy is so heavily regulated that the fat content in butter is ridiculously small and having access to Euro butters is like manna from heaven.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I bought that German butter when I was in California and it was good. Also that cultured butter that’s a cylindrical log. Lurpak and kerrygold are fine but nothing spesh.
    czb and Waterslide like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

and as an aside, i didn't take a pic of the egg shelves ... it is the same size as the butter shelves but all filled with different kinds of eggs.

too many choices!
    sputnik and Waterslide like this.

A*O

I sympathise. Just got back from a trip where the cuisine was tailored exclusively for picky, elderly, mostly Americans so no butter, no sugar, no salt, no spice, no flavour. Zzzzzzzzzzzz.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Originally Posted by greysfang
    I've had kerrygold and Plugra and really like them both. I was going to try the Lurpak, but I haven't seen it here yet. I also really like Amish butter for baking as in my normally so-so pie crusts came out perfect. The Amish just roll up a big hunk of it in wax paper, so you won't find it in neat little rectangles like other brands. Sorry, I can't remember it's name right now.

Oh please don’t it’s horrible!!! Save your money & get something nice!!!

CZB - have you tried the Sévre Belle? I go French when I want nice butter but my folkes used to have a house in Poitou-Charentes....

otherwise you could try the German one?
    Delemere is a good brand but it’s goats milk not cows milk.

Kerrygold is “bog standard” supermarket butter for us.

czb

i haven't tried any of them. i think the sevre belle is the cylinder on the right?
    Waterslide and Novice like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information