Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Meal delivery kits...anyone use them?

Default Meal delivery kits...anyone use them?

I just tired EveryPlate.com because there was a special, 3 meals for 2 people (2 servings each) for 19.99 & free shipping.

It arrived today. Not crazy about how it was boxed, everything was kind of just thrown in there. Tonight I made the Pork and Pineapple Tacos.

Wasn't too bad; thought there wasn't enough for 2 servings each. I probably won't order again, but this was pretty good, so will probably keep the recipe card and make it again.

Nevan likes this.
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

We did Blue Apron for quite a while - I think there was only one dish we didn't care for. We recently tried Hello Fresh and it was good, too. Overall, we felt they were good, but expensive. We did save a lot of the recipes - it also got DH to try things he wouldn't have tired, so that was worthwhile.
    dksnj likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Daphodil View Post
    We did Blue Apron for quite a while - I think there was only one dish we didn't care for. We recently tried Hello Fresh and it was good, too. Overall, we felt they were good, but expensive. We did save a lot of the recipes - it also got DH to try things he wouldn't have tired, so that was worthwhile.
    I did Blue Apron too and felt the exact same way. Definitely expanded my recipe book and I still make lot of the stuff I got from them, with slight modifications.

Did you have a preference between Blue Apron and Hello Fresh?
    dksnj likes this.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

I've only tried Hello Fresh one time (they had a special), but I did like Blue Apron and really liked their packaging - especially of small things.

We have subscriptions to Blue Apron and Hello Fresh, and sort of swap between the two each week depending on which menu works better for us (my husband has some food sensitivities so sometimes one or the other won't have 3 meals we can make without altering them and getting other stuff).

Hello Fresh gets repetitive. They advertise how many options they have, but a lot of weeks it is variations on the same thing with slightly different ingredients-always a burger option, always a taco option (usually with a sweet relish), always some kind of pan roasted pork loin with a sweet glaze and green beans as the side. So, it was great at first, but got boring quickly. They also tend towards being more bland, I end up dipping into my own spice cabinet a lot to give everything flavor. I've also had a lot more delivery issues with Hello Fresh, for a long time there was SOMETHING wrong every week. Some weeks was that the produce was overripe and unusable, some weeks the meat leaked all over the box, 1 week one of the meat packs was against the wall of the box and not by the ice packs and it was warm when it got to me. They HAVE been great about doing credits for the meal every time something is wrong so I've been ordering at a decent discount for weeks now, but I also wish that it wasn't something that happened so regularly. The meals are easier to cook with fewer prep dishes too, I feel like my husband (who cannot cook if it isn't reading instructions on a bag of frozen whatever) could actually make most of these recipes without too much confusion or help.

Blue Apron has been great, but more expensive. There is TRULY more variety, and for the most part the meals have really good flavor to them. But, they usually take a little longer than they state (which isn't really a problem as long as you plan around it), and they require more dishes for prep. But the food tastes better, and the produce especially has always been in great condition. We've only had 1 issue with a shipment, and that was them sending the wrong meat for a recipe. They actually sent a more expensive protein, but it didn't work well for the recipe so I contacted them and they still issued a credit for the inconvenience. I really like Blue Apron better, we order from them way more frequently now between the lack of delivery issues and the quality of the recipes/food they send. I also like that they have Saturday delivery through Fed Ex (Hello Fresh doesn't in my area, but that might be specific to my area), it makes me feel a lot safer to receive on a Saturday when we are usually home than to have it delivered on a work day and have it sit out in the sun for hours.
    Nevan likes this.

I've wanted to but every time I sit down to pick out entrees, I'm reminded what picky eaters my son and I are and I just give up. I have food allergies and aversions (for instance, I'm allergic to seafood and shellfish and I'm not really into spicy foods) and he basically won't eat anything that isn't chicken nuggets and fries. I do want to try one though. Thank you so much for the detailed reviews, everyone ... I'm definitely going to try Blue Apron first.

ETA: I also have given in to the reality that I'm never going to get away with two portions for just my son and me. He's a moose and he requires a lot of food!! I'm going to have to get the four serving box and maybe I'll have leftovers for lunch the next day.
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

It's actually helped my husband branch out a little with his palate. He's always been a pretty simple meat and potatoes kind of guy in the past, with only 2 vegetables I could make on a regular basis that he would eat (broccoli and spinach). He at least TRIES everything we get through the meal boxes. Sometimes it isn't for him, and then I know not to get stuff like that again, but he's also eaten a lot of things that I thought were borderline or he would hate. I mean...he isn't jumping at the most adventurous thing on the menu when we go out to eat or anything, but he will eat, and finish, some surprising meals that have come through Blue Apron. Last week there was a miso salmon with sesame rice that he really liked and I thought he would hate, but it sounded good to me so I got it, lol. He also had a mexican chicken dish with pickled radishes that I was certain he would leave the radishes and he ate all of them.
    Nevan likes this.

I have hello fresh, and like NoDay said, they do recycle recipes fairly regularly (though I'm subscribed to the vegetarian plan - omnivores have more choices I think), so if you get it every week it could get repetitive. That said, there's been only one meal out of all of the ones I've gotten that I wasn't crazy about, the rest we're delicious. Plus, even though it says each meal is 2 servings, I always get at least 3, most often 4, out of them.

I was given Sun Basket as a gift, I think it was six meals. My favorite things because they were so delicious were the Avgolemono soup (Greek Lemon Soup with chicken) and a Pacific Cod with lemongrass sauce in a broth. Sun Basket has organic food. It was a lovely gift, but not necessary for me, though I did keep the recipe cards for the above meals. The dishes did taste like you were eating a restaurant because they included all the spices and sauces that take it from home cooking to restaurant cooking which means too much butter, oil, salt and sugar for home cooking.

I guess if you're looking for new recipes, it could be a nice jump-start, but honestly I don't get the point. You still have to cook it! If I'm getting delivery, I want something ready to eat, so I don't have to cook that night.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I agree with Trixie but someone at work gets one and I must admit that I'm tempted to try just because it seems kinda cool, but yeah, I want my food already cooked when it arrives.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I have a friend who worked for blue apron for a while in new york and she gave me a trial subscription for about a week. it was fun but also kind of pointless, at least for me. i think if you don't know how to cook this is a fun way to learn, or if you want to learn to cook and try new things, or if you just want to cook every once in a while and you don't mind overpaying for not having to go to the grocery store but that's not me. i love getting groceries and cooking and tweaking recipes.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'd like to give it a try but I am concerned about the amount of packaging and waste.
    sputnik likes this.

I tried both Blue Apron and Hello Fresh for awhile. Neither offered enough food per serving, imo. This is coming from someone who had gastric bypass surgery. Blue Apron expected me to share a 3 ounce (pre-cooked size) chicken breast with a full grown man More often than not I had to add more meat for R. and round myself out with some salad.

I love to cook so I enjoyed that aspect of it. Blue Apron has introduced a Weight Watchers plan. I might give it a whirl in a few weeks to see what it's like.

Quote Originally Posted by burnt_toast View Post
    I'd like to give it a try but I am concerned about the amount of packaging and waste.
    that was one of my issues too, i forgot to mention it. spices and stuff will come in little plastic packages, and sauces and stuff will come in these little plastic bottles. very wasteful.
    it's bad enough how amazon over-packages shit, i don't need to produce more waste. they should use glass and make you return the stuff and pick it up when they deliver your next kit.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information