Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Should I get an Instant Pot?

Default Should I get an Instant Pot?

I've never used a pressure cooker, my mom had one of those old-timey ones that scared the hell out of me. But I had dinner at a friend's house not long ago and she made chicken marsala in an Instant Pot and it was very good. I have a Cuisinart slow cooker that also browns/cooks ground meat so you can do it all in one pot, but of course, it's a slow cooker.

I don't want another bulky appliance taking up room if it won't get much use...and if I do get one, I have no clue what kind to buy or what size. I keep seeing the Ninja foodi on tv, it's also an air-fryer/crisper but it has 2 lids and it looks like it would take up a lot of space. I don't like a lot of crap on my counters and I already have the bottom shelf of my pantry full with the slow cooker, toaster, food processor, etc.

So....talk me into it or talk me out of it. If you have one and love it, tell me what you cook in it, and share your recipes.

TIA.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Yes. That is all.

IMO, the Ninja thingy is too new so won't have all the bugs worked out, so I'm not even going to try it.

I use my Instant pot about 4-5 times per week. Even when I don't make the main course in it, I still will make some rice or potatoes, or even just steam veggies in it. It really is a magic machine.

I followed this FB group for a few months to see if I really wanted to get one and it didn't take much to convince me. https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotCommunity/
    fgg and Trixie like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I just ordered one last night from QVC. $79 I considered the Ninja but it's $200 and looks like it takes up more space. I can't wait to start instant potting.

I already have a nice pressure cooker but it doesn't have all the presets and I don't really know what I'm doing with it. I'll be donating to one of my kids. Part of the selling point was the huge amount of people sharing instant pot recipes and tips.
    Last edited by sprynkles; December 14th, 2018 at 02:02 PM.
    fgg and choozen1ne like this.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

I got one to give as a gift. I should probably get one for myself.
    fgg likes this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

I have never used a single preset on my DUO80. The only buttons I've used are Saute (to brown meat before pressure cooking), "Steam" for veggies" and the "Pressure Cook" button. So far as I can tell from following the group, the only button that is actually used is "yogurt" because it is a special setting only for that purpose. Well, you can also proof bread dough with that function as well, but I haven't tried that yet.

Like I said, follow that group and learn as much as you can before starting to cook with the pot. You will pick up a lot of helpful hints that will save you tons of frustration trying to master the art of pressure cooking.
    fgg likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Yes. That is all.

IMO, the Ninja thingy is too new so won't have all the bugs worked out, so I'm not even going to try it.

I use my Instant pot about 4-5 times per week. Even when I don't make the main course in it, I still will make some rice or potatoes, or even just steam veggies in it. It really is a magic machine.

I followed this FB group for a few months to see if I really wanted to get one and it didn't take much to convince me. https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotCommunity/
    Yeah, from what I read about the foodi, the air fry lid isn't removable so when you want to use it to pressure cook, it stays hinged on the side and you put the pressure cooker lid on. Seems awkward, and would take up a lot of space on the counter when you were using it.

Not really sure if I would use it for air frying anyway, probably should just try to master the pressure cooking with a more basic model first.

I will check out the fb page, thanks.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

yes.
    i use my instant pot a lot. and i have a tiny ass kitchen with very little storage space so i only have essential appliances.
    like you, i'd never used a pressure cooker before, was scared of them, but this is fool proof and the results are great.
    i make soups, curries, stews. i make a lot of asian food and it's perfect for that. i've used the steam function for things like dumplings or veggies that take a long time but i never use it for stuff like broccoli or snap peas or other veggies that you want to cook but you still want them al dente. even if you only set it to one minute by the time it's done the broccoli is always too soft for my taste so i still use my trusty steam basket and a pot and do that on the stove. but for everything else it's fantastic. and it doubles as a slow cooker so really there's just so much you can do with it.

TLDR: life changer, but not for things that require precision and can easily overcook, like pasta or steamed veggies.
    Last edited by sputnik; December 14th, 2018 at 08:43 PM.
    Trixie likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yes! It's a life-changer!! LOL, well a dinner changer for sure. I like it because the food tastes very fresh and not overly soupy or soggy. I know there are plenty of recipes out there for crock pot meals that don't call for the canned soups and all, but so many do. I like that I can brown the meat in the instant pot on the saute function and then add the veggie, noodles, liquids, and flip it to pressure cook. Stews are amazing. I made a beef stew, which is one of my go-to cool weather comfort foods. I sautéed the beef with onions, then added potatoes, carrots, celery, some broth, a splash of balsamic (or you can use tomato paste) and some seasoning. It pressure cooks for about 15 minutes. Add thawed out frozen peas at the end. It's amazing.

A lot of people complain that it takes longer to cook than the recipe states, but that's more because the pot has to pressurize before it cooks, then it has to release the pressure. I've found it takes around 15 minutes to build the pressure, then the "cooking" starts and the timer counts down. When it's done, you can do a quick release. So the cooking time really is only 5 to 15 minutes for most items, but add another 10 to 15 on the front end. Maybe 5 on the back end. Still, for the flavor, ease and clean-up, it's fantastic.

I also made a goulash. Basically just browning meat, onion, garlic, seasoning. Then you add everything else, including the dry elbow noodles, and it's done in four minutes. It makes it easy to make a yummy meal in a fraction of the time with so much less clean up.
    fgg, Trixie and sputnik like this.

Yes.
    fgg and sputnik like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Ok bumbling idiot here - what is the difference between an instant pot & a pressure cooker?
    I’ve looked but other than an electric pressure cooker.... I’m lost.

It just has more functions, not that I use them, but you can make your own yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. proof bread, make rice and other things.

Ah thank you. I thought it was missing something, I guess it does the other things that need a constant low temp.
    I have my Pa’s old cast pressure cooker that was his mother’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Ok bumbling idiot here - what is the difference between an instant pot & a pressure cooker?
    I’ve looked but other than an electric pressure cooker.... I’m lost.
    Not much other than it being more user friendly and safer.
    Novice, greysfang and twitchy2.0 like this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

It’s a pressure cooker and also a slow cooker/crock pot, and rice maker so that’s a few appliances in one. It does more too but those are the really useful functions because who makes their own yogurt? And I dont really count the steamer because it doesn’t really work for steamed veggies you have to keep an eye on.

Speaking of, I made chicken pho in mine yesterday. It might not be the same as the super authentic pho broth that cooks for a day but it’s a damn good approximation, and with prep time and everything it took about an hour. Compared to the hours it takes to make your own broth at home...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^Do you have a recipe? I would love to try that.
    sputnik likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information