Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree305Likes

Thread: Thanksgiving 2018

Default Thanksgiving 2018

Well, it's that time of year again. I am having both of my sons over this year. They both recently became single. So I want it to be a fun light enjoyable evening. I do not want to do traditional turkey/ham and the usual sides. I don't really want to have to slave over a meal. But I really don't have any good ideas as to what I should do. Maybe a taco bar and margaritas. Any suggestions? And what are you doing to celebrate Thanksgiving?

Always a fun read: Marney's OCD Thanksgiving Letter

Waterslide and BITTER like this.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

It's not Thanksgiving until I've read Aunt Marney's letter and watched WKRP. And Peanuts.

Thanksgiving is straight up going to suck this year for me, for a myriad of reasons, but I'm still trying to be optimistic and hoping it won't be a total wash. I always go for the traditional stuff because it's the one time of year I get to eat all that. I do mix things up with the sweet potatoes or vegetables, but turkey, stuffing, etc. is always the same.

I usually don't have time to make a dessert, but I've been watching Pushing Daisies lately and they keep talking about this pear pie with Gruyère baked into the crust and I really want to do that. I have no idea if I'll have time though.
    sprynkles and BITTER like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

We'll be spending Thanksgiving with my side of the family in my hometown; we usually have turkey, roast chicken (for those who don't like turkey), my sister makes ribs in the oven with a sort of barbacoa type sauce on them, and someone will probably make tamales (used to be my mom who did so, but she's 92 now and doesn't cook anymore). I will make a dessert (I'm debating between flan or jelly thumbprint cookies) and am thinking of making scalloped potatoes.

I'm so embarrassed that I'm 50 years old and have never learned to make tamales...I really need to learn. I'm pretty sure if I tried I could make them, I just haven't tried to do so because I have my mom, my older sister and SIL's who do make them.
    Waterslide and BITTER like this.

I've been spoiled by other people making tamales in my life. I would like to learn the proper way to make them myself.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    It's not Thanksgiving until I've read Aunt Marney's letter and watched WKRP. And Peanuts.
    "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!"

Thanksgiving was weeks ago. Move on, people.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!"
    That was one of the most genius moments in sitcom history. The whole episode, really.

And just as I was writing this I got an alert reminding me about MST3K's Turkey Day Marathon. Can't go wrong with that either.

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    Thanksgiving was weeks ago. Move on, people.
    My Dad grew up in Canada and it was always my dream to celebrate two Thanksgivings.

Do it! Twice the pie!
    Waterslide and palta like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Yeah! I know! I will have to make plans to do this next year...

I am married to an American and we actually do both Thanksgivings. I think I would be more enthusiastic if I wasn't the one doing all the cooking and washing up.
    Waterslide and sprynkles like this.

Yeah, that's one of the things that makes me rethink the whole thing...it's just exhausting to do that two months in a row...three times if you count Christmas, but that's a whole different kind of menu for me.

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    I am married to an American and we actually do both Thanksgivings. I think I would be more enthusiastic if I wasn't the one doing all the cooking and washing up.
    This is a really grueling dinner in a lot of ways. Mrs. Mo does most of the front end stuff, including shopping. I do most of the cleaning up. She has this china set with gold inlaid in it and we wash it by hand to protect the gold finish, but it is really a hassle. Below is a typical over-the-top plate of food from a past Thanksgiving dinner. Usually, there are 2-3 different kinds of stuffing - one from her family, one from my dad's side, one from my mom's side. Plus mashed potatoes. Green bean casserole. Three different kind of cranberry relish. Pumpkin pie. It's insane.

Now I want Thanksgiving today.

When I was a kid, we used to go to my grandmother's house for Thanksgiving and we had all the basic Thanksgiving items, plus homemade noodles (which are indescribable and I can't recreate them), casseroles, ham, venison, different vegetables...basically everything under the sun. And my Grandma could make pies in her sleep, so there would be apple, blueberry, cherry, etc., plus whatever desserts people brought with them. I don't know how any of us survived that, come to think of it, but especially my grandmother and my aunts.
    BITTER and MohandasKGanja like this.

fgg

ordered the whole shebang from cracker barrel last year, picked it up about 30 min before everyone came over and it was great! no big deal and not much to clean up.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I always wanted to get a country ham from cracker barrel for a holiday because it's basically like a salt lick and I love it.
    sprynkles, emkat and fgg like this.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information