Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Keurig debuts overpriced cocktail dispenser

Default Keurig debuts overpriced cocktail dispenser

The Keurig cocktail machine just launched!

They revolutionized coffee and now Keurig revolutionizing your cocktail routine!

Keurig

Nov. 14, 2018 / 2:38 PM EST / Source: TODAY
    By Kayla Boyd
    Keurig and Anheuser-Busch just launched a new product and it's just what every hostess needs. The Drinkworks Home Bar takes the idea of the successful coffee pod machine and applies it to premixed cocktails. The new product is very similar to a Keurig, except instead of a warm cup of coffee, you get a refreshing mixed, alcoholic drink.
    It's pretty high tech, offering an iOS app that can control the appliance and assist in pod refill orders. The Home Bar costs $299 and each cocktail pod costs $4. The launch will include 15 different cocktails including a Moscow mule, margarita, mojito, and Long Island iced tea, according to The Verge. The drinks can be made in three different sizes as well: 3.9 ounces, 6.5 ounces and 8.1 ounces.

Sadly, the machine and pods are only launching in St. Louis, Missouri, right now, but they will be available to pre-order online through Drinkworks’ website and a few other select retailers beginning on Nov. 19.
    https://www.today.com/food/keurig-ju...&ICID=ref_fark
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

I don't really give a fuck about coffee or what people put in it, but this makes no sense to me. You cannot drink a Moscow Mule out of a mix, a can, a K-pod, a bottle or a dispenser. Same with mojitos. And Long Island iced teas not made the correct way are like drinking Tab with 15 added Sweet and Low packets. Not to mention that there is an actual carbonated beverage in a Moscow Mule, a mojito, and a splash of it in a LIIT, so I'm assuming this will basically all taste like syrup sans fizz. And what kind of booze goes in this? Especially the Long Island Iced Tea? I'm so confused right now.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

The website has some information about that pods...it looks like the ones that are supposed to have carbonation are carbonated (they have a gin and tonic listed and they talk about the bubbles), and the LIIT has tequila, gin, rum, and vodka in it...but this is still stupid, overpriced, and doesn't make much sense at all (and the pods are huge).
    Waterslide likes this.

I dont get the appeal of Keurig coffee machines - it’s just an expensive version of the typical crappy american filter coffee maker. This sounds even dumber. Can’t wait for #MAGAcretins to buy these and start smashing them on YouTube the minute Keurig HQ reminds them that, despite the German sounding name, they’re not actually Nazis.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

OK, it makes a lot more sense if the pods are really big. But besides the fact that it's overpriced (and stupid), how hard is it to make a gin and tonic without this machine? The same could be said about coffee, but there is an ease to just having one cup of coffee whenever you want and you don't have to clean up coffee grounds and an entire carafe. The point of a coffee Keurig is convenience, but I don't see how the same could be said about this thing. In the end the LIIT probably makes the most sense since I don't always have all the ingredients, but for a couple dollars more I could get one in a bar and if they do it right, it will taste a million times better.

eta - I was really happy we had a Keurig machine at my old job because the alternative burnt coffee because no one could turn the damn machine off.

I was going to buy a French press the other day, but it became too overwhelming trying to figure out which one to buy. I just wanted a basic one and people were saying they were breaking, so I was going to go up $10 and get a stainless steel one but I was still on the fence about it. I have a Keurig and I like it because I only drink about two cups/day when I'm home and it's not worth it to brew a pot, especially when there's so much space in between those cups. I also have a regular old coffee pot for some of the odd coffees I buy, like French roast or whatever.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

My issue with french presses is they waste a lot of coffee. You need to use a lot to get a moderately strong cup. I’m a fan of little stovetop espresso makers like the bialetti. If you want want a weaker brew just use coarser ground coffee, and get a big bialetti so you can make enough for a couple of large cups
    Waterslide likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thanks, I'll look into that. I didn't know about the waste of coffee. And I was kind of hoping someone would pop into this thread who knew something about French presses without me having to open a thread to ask.
    sputnik likes this.

Thanks, that's a really good site. And I did always wonder what Vietnamese coffee was and now I know...

So, stupid question, but if I bought the 6-cup Bialetti and only wanted to make 1 or 2 cups of coffee, could I do that, or do you have to make 6 cups at a time? And have you ever used one on an electric glass top stove?
    sputnik likes this.

No, you’d have to make the whole 6 cups because putting in less water or less coffee tends to not really work. But keep in mind that by “cup”, they mean espresso cup or shot, and these are small. I finally bought a good espresso machine again but for years I relied on my mokas. I have a 3 cup and a 6 cup and a mini single espresso shot one that was a gift, and which I rarely used because the only time I’ll drink a straight shot of espresso is after lunch and I rarely have lunch at home. The 3 cup is the perfect size for one person. It’s what I used for my morning latte. I use fine ground espresso. I put the espresso directly into the milk but if you want you could also add hot water instead of milk and make an americano. 6 cups is the one I use when I have people over. It’s not as strong as the espresso you get from a machine so 3 cups is probably the equivalent of a double shot from a coffee shop in terms of strength, maybe even slightly less.
    Waterslide likes this.

I do pour-over because I like low tech.
    Waterslide likes this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

My husband swears by his French Press. We've been through quite a few over the years as the glass has broken on us a few times. He still prefers the taste over coffee machine coffee.

As for this Keurig, it's not that difficult to mix a drink, why do you need this?

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    No, you’d have to make the whole 6 cups because putting in less water or less coffee tends to not really work. But keep in mind that by “cup”, they mean espresso cup or shot, and these are small. I finally bought a good espresso machine again but for years I relied on my mokas. I have a 3 cup and a 6 cup and a mini single espresso shot one that was a gift, and which I rarely used because the only time I’ll drink a straight shot of espresso is after lunch and I rarely have lunch at home. The 3 cup is the perfect size for one person. It’s what I used for my morning latte. I use fine ground espresso. I put the espresso directly into the milk but if you want you could also add hot water instead of milk and make an americano. 6 cups is the one I use when I have people over. It’s not as strong as the espresso you get from a machine so 3 cups is probably the equivalent of a double shot from a coffee shop in terms of strength, maybe even slightly less.
    That's what I thought about the 6-cup vs 3-cup. I'm pretty sure it will mostly just be me drinking it, and only when I'm home, which is almost never at the moment, so I should definitely start with the 3 cup.

Do you steam the milk for the latte or put it in instead of water? I honestly don't really like Americanos. I'm weird about coffee but when I actually drink something other than a basic cup, I prefer it bold and it always just tastes like watered down coffee to me (because that is what it is) which freaks me out a little. Texture or taste issue with me.

I looked at a $700 espresso machine that is out of the question for now, but I'd love a decent frother.

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    My husband swears by his French Press. We've been through quite a few over the years as the glass has broken on us a few times. He still prefers the taste over coffee machine coffee.

As for this Keurig, it's not that difficult to mix a drink, why do you need this?
    That's my issue...how hard is it to pour gin and tonic together and cut and squeeze a lime? If you can't do that, maybe you don't deserve to drink.

Plus, I wonder what brand names they're using. Grey Goose? Bombay? Casamigos? Bacardi?

I think French presses look cool, but I didn't know about wasting coffee and it's expensive enough for me as it is. Maybe I can find a super cheap one somewhere and experiment with both, though. The Bialetti looks easier to do and easier to clean from the videos and info I saw and hopefully less breakable. But I bet the coffee tastes better in both of them...

I'll read thru that site, Sput but I see already they hate my method.

I'm very old school Grandma making a spread for the girls coming over for Mah Jong or Canasta. That meant Farberware Electric pot, 12 cup. I had hers for years, then got another Farberware which is made like shit from China. I then got a Bialetti Electric Drip and I love it. Bialetti stopped making it so it's replacement I'm sure will be a Farberware.

I need coffee on all day if I'm in the home office. I need my coffee hot, though there is an excellent silver thermos that you transfer hot coffee too, I just haven't bought it. I don't like drip machines because it's not hot enough for me. I love my mini French Press but I can't be bothered for more than one cup. I don't have a microwave. I want that fancy ass espresso/capp machine somebody here has for $1000.
    Waterslide and Novice like this.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    I do pour-over because I like low tech.
    My college boyfriend introduced me to pour-over 20 years ago and I assumed it was just some el cheapo way to make coffee with dorm-lounge-microwaved hot water through a plastic filter (it was.) When I realized that THAT was what Starbucks was charging 5 bucks for recently, I felt like I needed to yell at some kid to get off my lawn.
    Waterslide and Brookie like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information