Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By sputnik
  • 1 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 1 Post By fgg
  • 3 Post By MohandasKGanja

Thread: Have you guys ever used one of those "sous vide things?

Default Have you guys ever used one of those "sous vide things?

I never even heard of one until this week. I saw one on sale on Techbargains and it first it looked like a flat iron for hair. Anyway, it's a digital electric wand that cooks food in a special container, but at a much lower temperature than an oven. It has a submersible heating element, combined with a little propeller/agitator that circulates the fluid/water around the food. Supposedly, it's really popular with caterers because it cooks things very consistently and unattended.

But then, I started reading about the increased risk of botulism, etc. because it cooks below the temperature of pasteurization.

i know a few people who have them. they're amazing for meats because you don't lose any moisture. one friend makes duck this way and it's amazing. he does it in the sous-vide first and then takes the duck breasts and just sears them on a pan to get the skin crispy and render some of the fat. they're amazing, the meat is like butter and he swears he can get them to cook way more evenly than with other methods.
    Waterslide likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

fgg

i have one and love it! makes the most amazing steaks. buy it!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i know a few people who have them. they're amazing for meats because you don't lose any moisture. one friend makes duck this way and it's amazing. he does it in the sous-vide first and then takes the duck breasts and just sears them on a pan to get the skin crispy and render some of the fat. they're amazing, the meat is like butter and he swears he can get them to cook way more evenly than with other methods.
    I hear it breaks down the non-muscle part in steaks in a way that makes them melt and less like gristle. If that's the case, it could get my daughter eating steak again...
    fgg likes this.

so far everything i've tasted that's cooked that way has been great. it's all been meat though, i don't even know if you can use it to cook other stuff?
    if i cooked more meat at home and/or didn't have such a tiny kitchen i'd consider getting one but as is it is, my storage space is limited so i only buy appliances that i know will get lots of use, like my instant pot which comes out at least once a week.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

fgg

^i've made the most delicious poached eggs. mind you, they take 45 min but they cook right in the shell and then you crack them open when they are done & voila!
    sputnik likes this.

I have used one and the food comes out really well, but for the most part I find it just takes too long to cook anything, so I have no plans to buy one for myself. It's not quite as "set it and forget it" as a crock pot, IMO.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

How about how long the food keeps? I couldn't tell if it goes bad faster, or actually keeps longer.

fgg

hmm...i never thought about it. i eat all of my food in the same amount of time. old food creeps me out.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    hmm...i never thought about it. i eat all of my food in the same amount of time. old food creeps me out.
    fgg, Waterslide and sprynkles like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Great, now I have a craving for duck and nothing's open but McDonald's and the gas stations.

I don't think I've ever had anything made this way...
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

A*O

I was given one and used it a couple of times before it joined the juicer, bread maker and rotisserie in the garage.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I don't think I've ever had anything made this way...
    if you go to nice/decent restaurants, you probably have but didn't realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I was given one and used it a couple of times before it joined the juicer, bread maker and rotisserie in the garage.

I love my rotisserie, its just a pain in the ass to clean. The breadmaker is me, the electronic one is just so the boys could make their own when i had a fuck it week. I've never had a juicer as an appliance since we're not big juice drinkers. When I need citrus juice to cook with, my right hand does just fine.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Thread Information