Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Candy Trivia

Default Candy Trivia

Last night, I was talking with my kids about Reece's Peanut Butter Cups. It reminded me that I looked up the Wiki entry on them a couple months ago and found out some interesting stuff.

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups:

• Created in 1928 by H.B. Reese - a guy who worked at a Hershey dairy farm. and he used Hershey's chocolate as one of the ingredients.
    • Left the company to his 6 sons, who sold the company to Hershey's for stock shares. Today, the shares are worth over $1.8 Billion, with an annual cash dividend of $42 Million.
    • Most popular-selling candy brand in the US. In 2012, domestic sales were $2.6 Billion.
    • Reese's have a controversial cocoa butter substitute ingredient in them, called Polyglycerol polyricinoleate. Apparently, it's safe as long as you only eat 7.5 milligrams of it per killogram of body weight.

Jolly Ranchers:
    • I never liked this candy (the hard candy version - but my son does, which is why I looked it up)
    • Invented in 1949 by Bill Harmsen.
    • Harmsen made and sold ice cream also, but he lived in Colorado and realized that he could sell candy year round, while he could not do that with ice cream.
    • Original flavors were watermelon grape, apple and "firestix".
    • Current flavors are cherry, blue raspberry, grape, green apple, and watermelon
    • Each candy is 95% sugar. Their clear appearance is achieved by heating the sugar to 160C and then cooling the molten sugar syrup so rapidly that no crystals have time to form.
    • During the short cooling process, the candies are flavored, colored, and extruded (stretched) into strings, which are then cut and packaged.

Tootsie Roll
    • Chocolate flavored taffy-like candy.
    • Invented in the US in 1907 by Austrian Immigrant Leo Hirschfield, who named the candy after his daughter Clara, whose nickname was "Tootsie"
    • Does not melt
    • Manufactured by Tootsie Roll Industries. Most production is in the Chicago area and they produce about 64 Million Tootsie Rolls DAILY.
    • Ingredients are sugar, corn syrup, palm oil, condensed skim milk, cocoa, whey, soy lecithin, and articial and natural flavors. And yet, somehow, in 2009 Tootsie Rolls became certified kosher by the Orthodox Union.
    fgg and Waterslide like this.

The former Hershey plant in Smith's Falls is now a marijuana growing facility.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    The former Hershey plant in Smith's Falls is now a marijuana growing facility.
    "You got your weed in my chocolate!" "You got chocolate on my weed!" "Reese's weed cups - two great tastes that go great together."
    Brookie, I'mNotBitter and dksnj like this.

Drink: Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Artificial Flavors, White Grape Juice (from concentrate), Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate (perservatives),artificial Colors (FD&C Red 40, Blue 1, Yellow 5, Yellow 6). Container: Refined Wax,Artificial Flavors, BHT (to maintain freshness).

Among the other ingredients are high fructose corn syrup, sugar, natural and artificial licorice flavor, menthol, artificial milk chocolate and natural chocolateflavor, valerian root extract, vanilla extract, cedarwood oil, glycerol, propylene glycol, isovaleric acid, hexanoic acid and 3-methylpntanoic acid.

Why do Pop Rocks pop?
    Why do Pop Rocks pop?

Pop Rocks is like other hard candy and the ingredients include sugar, lactose (milk sugar) corn syrup and flavoring. But Pop Rocks are processed with Carbon Dioxide.

The ingredients are heated together and boiled. The hot sugar mixture is mixed with carbon dioxide gas at about 600 PSI. The carbon dioxide gas forms tiny, 600 PSI bubbles in the candy.

Pop Rocks killed Mikey!!!

I used to drive by the Mars factory and it smelled sooo good back before all those stupid rules about not being allowed to smell anything in the air. I know...allergies, the environment, blah blah blah, but I'd rather the sky smelled like a big mug of hot chocolate than sewage and gas fumes. Silly me.

I don't know why, but every once in a while I still will eat one of those wax candies. They always make me gag and yet...

I have the candy-eating habits of a 100-year-old. I also love those maple nut goodies. They were better back in the day, though. I have looked for a way to make something similar at home, but never found a recipe I liked. I guess just make some maple ganache and toss it over some chopped nuts.

I used to love Jolly Ranchers as a kid - especially watermelon, green apple, and mandarin orange. I also loved the Brach's version which were called Sparkles, I think. Again, I was obsessed with the watermelon flavor.
    OrangeSlice likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

The green ones trigger my asthma. They used to be my favourites.
    Waterslide likes this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

I hate Tootsie Rolls. I'd eat the outside of Tootsie Pops and throw away the centers.
    DeChayz and Brookie like this.

^LOL, I'm the opposite - I love tootsie rolls. They're murder on my teeth, but they kind of taste like chocolate liqueur to me.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

^Me too, I love tootsie rolls and tootsie pops.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I love Halloween. It gives me an excuse to buy one of those "Kids Play" big bags of assorted tootsie roll products. Then keep half of them for myself.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Halloween is great for getting candy you can't get all year round...and probably don't need all year round either. lol
    Trixie and SHELLEE like this.

Lol, I’m watching Halloween wars on cook network and they just showed that original tootsie pop commercial with the little Roman looking kid asking the owl how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop.
    Spoiler It’s 3.
    haven’t seen that in years
    Waterslide and MohandasKGanja like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Not candy, but so essential.

I can't find the original ingredients. Imagine what was in it.

The original toy used an ordinary
    incandescent light bulb as a heat source; current versions use a true heating element.

Reese's White Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs (Easter version of the cups). These are my Waterloo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information