Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Thai Food and Cuisine

Default Thai Food and Cuisine

I wish I paid better attention to what some of the meals were called and what was in them. I thought I could handle spicy food, but Mrs Mo and I found out that we were rank amateurs when we were there. At one restaurant, Mrs Mo was nearly incapacitated by a freaking SALAD... Anyway, here are some photos of stuff we ate and where we ate, and what they were:

I figured I would start with fruit. This is a platter of rambutan (red and hairy), longan fruit (looks like grapes), and mangosteen (looks like plums). I had never heard of mangosteen before, but they taste great and are really freaky looking when you cut them open.

Mangosteen - only the white part is edible. They look kind of like albino mandarin orange wedges. But taste different. hard to describe:

Longans tasted like white grapes. You have to peel them and eat around the seed. Rambutans have a much better yield of fruit. Same with lychee.

Rambutan - opened up:

My SIL/MIL's yard had mango trees growing all over the place - half the trees you see in this picture are mango and have green mango fruit hanging from them:

This is a freaky-looking jackfruit tree in their yard. Jackfruit grows straight out of the trunk. They are enormous. Supposedly, jackfruit are actually flowers that have grown together in tight packs, and when you eat them you are eating the petals. It tastes kind of like a pina colada:

Beeyotch, kasippu, Brookie and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I wish I paid better attention to what some of the meals were called and what was in them. I thought I could handle spicy food, but Mrs Mo and I found out that we were rank amateurs when we were there. At one restaurant, Mrs Mo was nearly incapacitated by a freaking SALAD... Anyway, here are some photos of stuff we ate and where we ate, and what they were:

This is a freaky-looking jackfruit tree in their yard. Jackfruit grows straight out of the trunk. They are enormous. Supposedly, jackfruit are actually flowers that have grown together in tight packs, and when you eat them you are eating the petals. It tastes kind of like a pina colada:

WHere did you go in Thailand? Hotel of local friends? They have the BEST dental health in the world, i hope you got your teeth checked AND you had good massages.

I live in South East Asia and salads are forbidden. I even take a salad leaf of a burger. Our (expat) friends are all rolling their eyes but then they end up with freakish parasites.
    spicy is an issue as well, mild here is like your tongue is on fire and your ... looks like the Japanese flag the morning after.
    I was warned in Italy that their pasta was super spicy but even the kids- who after 12 years still cannot stomach the local spicy- were like' Nah not too spicy. this is less then mild back home'
    Jackfruit, we have such a tree in our garden, It is forbidden by law to cut it and I hate it. THE stench of that fruit when it is ripe. I beg the people who work for us to take it before it is ripe. Apparently it is a real good source of protein but I just cannot stomach it.

Did you try Dragon fruit? it is pretty taste less but so pretty (especially the purple version) I give it as a school snack and my daughter used is to colour her lips when she was small.
    And cherimoya (a sort of custard apple) I eat it like a breakfast smoothie, so yummie

Quote Originally Posted by kasippu View Post
    WHere did you go in Thailand? Hotel of local friends? They have the BEST dental health in the world, i hope you got your teeth checked AND you had good massages.

I live in South East Asia and salads are forbidden. I even take a salad leaf of a burger. Our (expat) friends are all rolling their eyes but then they end up with freakish parasites.
    spicy is an issue as well, mild here is like your tongue is on fire and your ... looks like the Japanese flag the morning after.
    I was warned in Italy that their pasta was super spicy but even the kids- who after 12 years still cannot stomach the local spicy- were like' Nah not too spicy. this is less then mild back home'
    Jackfruit, we have such a tree in our garden, It is forbidden by law to cut it and I hate it. THE stench of that fruit when it is ripe. I beg the people who work for us to take it before it is ripe. Apparently it is a real good source of protein but I just cannot stomach it.

Did you try Dragon fruit? it is pretty taste less but so pretty (especially the purple version) I give it as a school snack and my daughter used is to colour her lips when she was small.
    And cherimoya (a sort of custard apple) I eat it like a breakfast smoothie, so yummie
    Home of local friends - in Bangkok. Then, flew to Chiang Mai and stayed in a hotel there. Also, drove to a beach resort in Hua Hin. We definitely tried to avoid salads - with the exception of the place below. We had dragon fruit in the states, so our expectations were realistic. Very pretty fruit, though, and it was an accompaniment EVERYWHERE. I totally agree about spiciness. My wife was totally incapacitated by an unexpectedly spicy salad in the restaurant below.

This restaurant - "Meena" - was a fusion place in Chiang Mai. Beautiful place. Very pretty food. Tasted great. Everyone loved it.

They had these rice cakes, rice and drinks that were naturally colored by different flowers or something - bright blue was pea blossom:

My meal - I chose it based on color, just like a 5-year-old would. Some kind of fried rice with pork and egg. Tasted great. Accompanying vegetables were either marinated or roasted.

I think this was Mrs Mo's meal that almost killed her. You can see dragon fruit there. Deep-fried fish. There were tiny little peppers in her salad that the menu neglected to mention:

My drink: - the fruit was either a lychee or rambutan colored with pea blossom. The drink was, too. I can't remember what the drink tasted like but it was good.

Dessert - I think it was gooseberry sherbet on the bottom. Can't remember the one on top. It wasn't my dessert - think it was BIL's. Dragon fruit like little pizza wedges. Kind of a deep-fried apple-tasting pie crust below. The things that look like eyeballs are longans. And the oranges in Thailand have green skin. It was great:

Mangosteen ice cream. Pomegranite berries and syrup garnish it, and the ever-present dragonfruit:

That looks so great. Super. if you have addresses in BK send them. I need to go for my sons braces so always happy to learn new places!
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

czb

that meal looks beautiful.

Okay, I feel kind of bad about posting this shot, because of the woman's facial expression, but what the heck. We were walking through a mega mall in downtown Bangkok and came by an ice cream shop. Everything in downtown Bangkok is over the top - there are displays of McClaren's, Maseratis, and Rolls Royce's. And this ice cream shop specialized in MEGA sundaes. I mean, the biggest, most decadent servings I ever saw in my life. Mrs. Mo has a picture of the menu that I could post later. Amazingly, these three women had actually ordered one of the items and were sharing it. It costs $100 US. I zoomed in and sneaked a shot of it.

If only I could dive through the screen.
    Not at the woman mind you....the foods!

*drools
    MohandasKGanja and Brookie like this.

That food looks amazing. I have been to Pattaya Beach - twice...while I cannot remember the names of most of the dishes, I do remember the Pad Thai and the lemongrass chicken, which I loved.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

The food was amazing, and we gained an average of maybe 3 pounds. It seems really rich, but doesn't seem to put weight on you like American food.

By the way, I wasn't seeing the ice-cream Sunday photo when I first logged in from home, but now I see it....
    BITTER likes this.

Coconut milk, lemon grass, thai basil - hello!

That drink looks incredible. I just need to say that the dessert plate with the zig zag - above it, I think they're lychees - but they could be eyeballs!
    MohandasKGanja and BITTER like this.

Okay, Bangkok used to have a lot of canal-like waterways and it was a major source of transportation and commerce. Not so much now. The area that is still like this is kind of like a little Venice, where people take you along in boats to see the sites and buy food and merchandise.

Here is a boat selling coconut ice cream:

It tastes as good as it looks:

My SIL holding a plate of fried quail eggs, which she bought while my back was turned. I think I ate about half of them. My cholesterol!!!
    BITTER and Brookie like this.

yum, that looks amazing. i love thai food but the closest i've had to the real thing have been my favourite restaurant in new york (uncle boons), and all the thai places i went to in california.

i've had all those fruits before. lychees are one of my favourite things to eat. i used to buy tons of them in chinatown in nyc and just eat them all day. mangosteen and rambutan you can find very easily in latin america too. some people in central america call rambutan 'gringo balls' because they're pink and hairy
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The Thai food in Philadelphia, to date, hasn't been that good.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

^^^^
    yeah for the most part asian food on the east coast is pretty bad, new york being the exception. or rather, if you look, you can find great asian food in new york but there is also way more bad asian food than good so you have to know where to go.

it's pretty awful in DC too. there's decent thai, vietnamese and korean in virginia, because there are sizable communities there, but it's pretty lousy in the city itself. so far i've found one great thai place but it's fancy-ish and pricy, and one amazing laotian place in columbia heights. i also tried out this very overrated philippino place where you have to stand in line outside to even have a shot at a table (i didn't stand in line, one of the people in the group i went with did) because trendy DC restaurants are stupid and can't be bothered to take your number and text you when your table is ready, like they do in new york in places that don't take reservations, so here people stand outside for hours waiting for their table, which i refuse to do.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

My local area has more Thai restaurants per square km than anywhere except maybe Bangkok. At one point there was something like 16 on one block. Thai food has been the standard takeaway for decades now.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information