Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Papaya?

Default Papaya?

Are papaya's part of your fruit intake? They are so healthy in many, many ways. I always forget about them. I bought one today. I don't think I'm that crazy about it. I've liked them in a salads in a restaurant. Give me an Ataulfo, a baby mango from Mexico. I'll eat 2 in a row. This papaya, I dunno.

Deliciously sweet with musky undertones and a soft, butter-like consistency, it is no wonder the papaya was reputably called the "fruit of the angels" by Christopher Columbus. Once considered quite exotic, they can now be found in markets throughout the year. Although there is a slight seasonal peak in early summer and fall, papaya trees produce fruit year round.
    Papayas are spherical or pear-shaped fruits that can be as long as 20 inches. The ones commonly found in the market usually average about 7 inches and weigh about one pound. Their flesh is a rich orange color with either yellow or pink hues. Inside the inner cavity of the fruit are black, round seeds encased in a gelatinous-like substance. Papaya's seeds are edible, although their peppery flavor is somewhat bitter. The fruit, as well as the other parts of the papaya tree, contain papain, an enzyme that helps digest proteins. This enzyme is especially concentrated in the fruit when it is unripe. Papain is extracted to make digestive enzyme dietary supplements and is also used as an ingredient in some chewing gums.

Papayas offer not only the luscious taste and sunlit color of the tropics, but are rich sources of antioxidant nutrients such as carotenes, vitamin C and flavonoids; the B vitamins, folate and pantothenic acid; and the minerals, potassium, copper, and magnesium; and fiber. Together, these nutrients promote the health of the cardiovascular system and also provide protection against colon cancer. In addition, papaya contains the digestive enzyme, papain, which is used like bromelain, a similar enzyme found in pineapple, to treat sports injuries, other causes of trauma, and allergies.

Worlds Healthiest Foods. The World's Healthiest Foods
    MmeVertigina likes this.

I don't think your papaya is the same as our paw-paw, because that shit is like something from hell's toilet. But I don't like mango either, and paw-paw is like budget mango to me.

I think I had papaya in the US and it wasn't like that at all. It was more orange and less pungent.
    A*O likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Budget mango I don't think they're going to call you to be on the Papaya Love Council.

This one is ripe and texture is good. It's like a very bland cantaloupe. Boring.
    czb likes this.

I love papaya, hahaha this is a funny thread! I started eating one a day when we were in Hawaii last year & now I do it at home. I eat some in the morning with breakfast and another piece at night before bed. It's really soothing for my stomach. I only like the organic ones from Hawaii, the smaller sized papaya, not sure of the exact name. The gigantic, oval shaped ones don't seem to have the same flavor. What is really good, is mixing one in with a banana, honey and some plain almond milk.

I'm so immature. Papaya is a Cuban slang word for pussy. I was laughing earlier when one of my older friends was saying that she didn't like the taste or smell of papaya.
    MmeVertigina likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by shellee View Post
    i'm so immature. Papaya is a cuban slang word for pussy. I was laughing earlier when one of my older friends was saying that she didn't like the taste or smell of papaya.
    ba-ha!

Hmmm I laughed in Caps, oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    I'm so immature. Papaya is a Cuban slang word for pussy..
    Ok how am I ever going to buy papaya with a straight face again?
    Chalet try to sprinkle some lime on it. I only eat them like that.
    I like alphonso mango and apple mango but some others I really don't

faithanne, is this what your papaya looks like?

that's what chileans called papaya too, so was wondering if that's what they're like in australia and it's a southern hemisphere thing. the chilean ones you really only eat in preserves or cooked, they're super astringent if you eat them raw.

i'm used to the orange ones with the distinctive dark seeds. there are big and small ones and they have soft, orange flesh and are quite sweet.

i like them but they're not my favourite fruit. and you can't let them get too ripe or they develop a vomit-y taste and smell. when they're just right they can be quite good but i agree they lack tartness and taste much better with a bit of lemon or lime, like kasippu said, or mixed with other fruits.
    they are amazing for your stomach though, they're full of enzymes that help with digestion, like pineapples.
    Last edited by sputnik; September 24th, 2016 at 02:45 PM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I do like papaya but they are so darn expensive! So I skip my hand over passing the Alphonso to the Ataulfo mango and grab a few of those.
    My son likes it when I make lassi with them.
    I llove them chopped into a bowl with a dollop of greek yogurt and a sprinkle of hemp and chia seeds.

But Papaya.. I am aware they have many health benefits. *sigh.... why must it cost so much to be "healthy". Fukin unfair.

*mumbles hypocritically into sugar and milk laden coffee
    MmeVertigina likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post

that's what chileans called papaya too, so was wondering if that's what they're like in australia and it's a southern hemisphere thing. the chilean ones you really only eat in preserves or cooked, they're super astringent if you eat them raw.

i'm used to the orange ones with the distinctive dark seeds. there are big and small ones and they have soft, orange flesh and are quite sweet.

i like them but they're not my favourite fruit. and you can't let them get too ripe or they develop a vomit-y taste and smell. when they're just right they can be quite good but they like tartness and taste much better with a bit of lemon or lime, like kasippu said, or mixed with other fruits.
    they are amazing for your stomach though, they're full of enzymes that help with digestion, like pineapples.
    I like them too. I can't eat it all by myself because they are so big. Maybe next time I will make smoothies. Most of it gets thrown out since my husband doesn't eat it.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

I think our pawpaw has black seeds too (I reel in horror and run from the f&v section as soon as I smell it) but it's definitely round and yellow and disgusting. Makes great ointment though!
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Considering Shellee's post, I'm chortling out loud right now.

I was too lol.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I think our pawpaw has black seeds too (I reel in horror and run from the f&v section as soon as I smell it) but it's definitely round and yellow and disgusting. Makes great ointment though!
    Do you have a recipe?
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

^^^
    i think she means this stuff:

every aussie i know swears by it.
    faithanne likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information