Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever suspected a restaurant of serving something fake?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Have you ever suspected a restaurant of serving something fake?

There's this Chinese restaurant chain here called Hon's...
    It's not the nicest or the classiest place but we go there/order takeout from there once in a while. Whenever you get a dish containing beef, the texture of the meat is so fluffy that it really doesn't feel like beef!!!!

We went to this mom and pop's kinda diner a couple of days ago. I ordered turkey dinner. And the turkey was stiff and chewy. I took a closer look and it looked more like thinly sliced pork chop pieces or something...

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

A*O

Default Re: Have you ever suspected a restaurant of serving something fake?

I organised a big Christmas lunch for work colleagues in what I thought was a reasonable restaurant. I specifically ordered turkey or a veggie alternative because we had several people who had religious objections to eating pork. Fair enough.
    So guess what they served as 'turkey'? It looked like sliced pork, it tasted like sliced pork and that's because it WAS sliced pork. I went berko at the manager and he flatly denied it but it ruined the meal for everyone, especially those who couldn't eat anything. We refused to pay the bill and after some argy bargy the restaurant backed down.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

It musta been pork rather than turkey I ordered!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I doggy bagged it and been feeding it to Elmo mixed with his dry food (not fully sure if it was really turkey or pork...can dogs eat pork?)

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I don't suspect: I'm SURE McDonald's serves flavored styrofoam instead of burgers. I still eat there though.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    (not fully sure if it was really turkey or pork...can dogs eat pork?)
    Yes, they can. I think the only human foods restricted to them are chocolate and beans.
    Last edited by Pandora; August 17th, 2006 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I very rarely have takeaways but when I do I try to avoid meat. I simply do not trust it from these kinds of establishments. I have a friend who often jokes that it could possibly be a stray cat or dog that you are eating, which is never a very pleasant thing to think about whilst carrying out the consumption process.

Oh i have a good one

So there is this " health deli" that I used to live near. Its not like the traditional deli bc its supposed to have healthy alternatives for everything...so if you order a salad, the chicken is made wout oil, the dressing is fat free,the cheese is fat free, etc etc. Same with the cookies, pies etc-theyre all supposed to be low or non fat. Sandwhich meat is all low fat versions of the real stuff all the way down to the coleslaw and soup, everything.

LOL NOT! Turned out the reason the place was so good was bc EVERYTHING was full fat! I felt bad for the other patrons bc they were ALL regulars thinking they were being healthy all along. I figured it out bc 1) u can usually tell fat free cheese from real cheese, and 2) i suspected the dressing was full fat bc it was too good and too rich. i had a fat free version of the said dressing at home which was alot more watery and less thick (obvious sign)...the guy is about to go out of business too bc other ppl figured it out. Turns out he does HAVE fat free versions of his ingredients, he just wasnt USING them. However everything is advertised as already fat free (nowhere are u even told he has full fat versions on hand). hes about to go out of biz bc NOW the food really isnt that great when u consider its full fat like everywhere else...everyone thought it was just exceptionally tasty HEALTH FOOD

I'm not lying when I say this... It is really gross. There is a Chinese food takeout restaurant near my house. It got shut down a couple months ago because health inspectors found dead dogs being put into the food! I'm so glad I never ate there.

A local Chinese place went through a very tough time a few years ago, because a rumor went rampant that the meat was possum.

I knew a waitress, and she said those poor Chinese restaurant owners didn't even know what a possum was. The female owner said to her "possum? what is possum? you draw for me?"
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by japangherl View Post
    I'm not lying when I say this... It is really gross. There is a Chinese food takeout restaurant near my house. It got shut down a couple months ago because health inspectors found dead dogs being put into the food! I'm so glad I never ate there.

OMGGGGGGG THATS HORRIBLE

That reminds me...
    Theres a local shopping village with a chinese place in it...one of my girlfriends worked at a boutique there and she was the only person on staff when she worked there so she spent a lot of time in the back on her cell phone or smoking cigs...anyway, shed always see the son digging thru the garbage/ dumpster after the sun set and trailing off with something while good portion of the stores were closed (no witnesses). Most of them closed at 5, but her's closed at 7:30 so shed see it all. The restaurant went out of biz
    Last edited by Femmefatale; September 1st, 2006 at 10:50 PM.

Digging through the garage? I don't understand.

I hate it when restaurants serve mock crab. I HATE mock crab.

Quote Originally Posted by japangherl View Post
    Oh that is horrid!

Bronze Member

I am usually very wary of cheap restaurants, especially Chinese restaurants. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were putting strange meats in their food. Also, a lot of Chinese restaurants put this chemical called MSG in their food, which adds flavor. MSG causes cancer!

I LOVE Chinese food, but I'm just cautious about where I order it from.

Speaking of cheap Chinese restaurants, there's this buffet that I go to sometimes that has long been rumored to serve cat meat and pass it off as chicken (chicken on a stick).

One guy I know peeped into the kitchen when he was walking by and saw a couple of skinned kitties on a table with a butcher knife. At first I thought he was BSing, but then a few months later a woman I know from somewhere else saw what appeared to be a cat skin in a garbage can at the back of the restaurant. It's only a matter of time before the health department shuts that place down.

There's this Chinese restaurant close by, I think it's called Victoria Chinese Restaurant or Victoria Gardens or something (for fellow Vancouverites, it's at Royal Centre near Burrard skytrain station). It's more of an upscale kinda place where all the business ppl and rich folk dine at here in downtown. I saw this poster of their lunch special and one of the dishes on the menu said "mock chicken." At least they are honest and admit it's not made with real chicken. LOL.

Why can't they just use chicken? Why pick on cats?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information