• 1 Post By whitetigeress

Thread: Religious Police Ban Women From Starbucks in Saudi Arabia

Elite Member

Default Religious Police Ban Women From Starbucks in Saudi Arabia

Religious Police Ban Women From Starbucks in Saudi Arabia

The Daily Meal
    1 hour ago

© Provided by The Daily Meal

Women in Saudi Arabia were banned from entering a Starbucks location by religious police after a “gender wall,” a wooden barrier separating men and women inside the store, collapsed due to customer traffic.

The Starbucks, located in Saudi Arabia’s capital city of Riyadh, posted a sign on the door instructing women to stay out.

According the Arabic newspaper Al Weaam, Saudi religious police, called the “Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice,” ordered Starbucks’ management not to allow women to enter in absence of the gender wall. The decree was made after authorities discovered the collapsed wall during a routine inspection.

A sign on the door read, “On order by the Commission, please no women allowed in. Women can send in their drivers to buy for them.”

In Saudi Arabia, gender walls are required for all restaurants and public shops. Although women just recently won the right to vote and be elected into office, women are still not permitted to travel without a chaperone, drive, or enter cemeteries.

Update: A Starbucks spokesperson has reached out to The Daily Meal to clarify that the temporary ban on women was not due to the collapse of a gender wall, as originally reported by local media, but because of ongoing renovations at the Starbucks location.

“Starbucks in Saudi Arabia adheres to the local customs by providing separate entrances for families as well as single people,” a spokesperson said. “All our stores provide equal amenities, service, menu, and seating to men, women, and families. We are working as quickly as possible as we refurbish our Jarir store, so that we may again welcome all customers in accordance with local customs.”

Renovations are expected to be completed within the next few weeks.

(© 1000 Words / Shutterstock.com) Religious Police Ban Women From Starbucks in Saudi Arabia

So much anger, I can't even. Let's remove all women and children from there and give it 50 years, let's see where they are then.

All our stores provide equal amenities, service, menu, and seating to men, women, and families
    Separate but equal!

I don't see the problem. I always send my driver in to get my order for me.
    McJag likes this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Forgive my ignorance and too lazy (or rather don't care to) to research, can someone explain to me why the separation of genders? Are the men so afraid to see women because it makes their dicks go SWING and it involuntarily compels them to attack women with it? Or does the sight of women blind them since well, you know, we are actually superhuman multi-tasking dick-swinging gods?

*slurps coffee
    BITTER likes this.

^^^That would take a class in Middle Eastern history. From what I understand, women aren't even allowed to drive over there.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

The title is very misleading, its not ALL Starbucks but one particular one.

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigeress View Post
    Forgive my ignorance and too lazy (or rather don't care to) to research, can someone explain to me why the separation of genders? Are the men so afraid to see women because it makes their dicks go SWING and it involuntarily compels them to attack women with it? Or does the sight of women blind them since well, you know, we are actually superhuman multi-tasking dick-swinging gods?

*slurps coffee
    Yes, basically.

The figure of the guardian
    In Saudi Arabia no women should ever leave her home without the companionship of her “guardian”. This “guardian” should be a man who’s related to the woman, usually her husband or father, but the guardianship could be passed on to her brother or any other close relative. All men have a Namus (it’s a code of “honor” that all men must respect. A part of the Namus is for the men to take care of the women in their family).
    The guardian has duties and rights over the woman in many aspects of her civil life. Although for western women this may seem a violation of freedom for Arabic women is an act of protection that comes from her men and they are appreciative of it. Saudi men and women in many occasions have listed guardianship as part of women’s rights in the Muslim countries.
    The acceptance of guardianship has been debated by groups of liberal activists who assure guardianship takes away women’s freedom by treating them as “merchandice”.
    The system is said to emanate from social conventions, including the importance of protecting women, and from religious precepts on travel and marriage, although these requirements were arguably confined to particular situations.” Depending on the guardian, women may need their guardian’s permission for: marriage and divorce; travel, if under 45; education, employment, opening a bank account, elective surgery, particularly when sexual in nature.

I know that this will not be a popular post but as a Brit that has lived in a Muslim community (in Britain), I have to comment that as a single college student I have never felt as safe before nor since.
    As an "outsider", and with no obvious male around it seems a bit like I was a " community responsibility" so there were never any cat-calling, whistles, being felt up, etc. The neighbours wives would bring food around (especially at Eid) and when I moved out everyone came to see me off, wish me luck, and of course, shake my dad's hand (the men) or hug & kiss me & my mom (the women & some kids).
    I cannot tell you how nice it was, a real community.

However living adjacent to similar community 10-15 years later it had really changed; feelings were tense, girls/women were "fair game" and it was just an awful atmosphere. Very sad.
    Last edited by Novice; February 3rd, 2016 at 03:18 PM.
    Free Charmed.

Thread Information