Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Tiny Pixie
  • 2 Post By Brookie

Thread: "Aquafaba" - Stop Pouring Your Chickpea Liquid Down the Drain

Wherever my kids are

Default "Aquafaba" - Stop Pouring Your Chickpea Liquid Down the Drain

I've used canned chick peas a lot in the past to make hummus, and always thought that liquid in the can was just some disgusting preservative goo. Apparently, it's actually from the chickpea, and is used to make vegan meringue:

Aquafaba: Baking with chickpea liquid for vegan meringues.

Stop Pouring Your Chickpea Liquid Down the Drain. It’s a Magical Ingredient.

By Miriam Krule
    As a vegan, I’m happy with the commercially available substitutes for most animal products. With so many dairy-free options for ice cream and cheese, who needs milk? Replacing eggs, on the other hand—a critical ingredient for baking—has always been a challenge. I’ve experimented with flax meal to varying results, added extra oil to compensate for missing eggs, even tried Ener-G Egg Replacer. But none of these fixes emulates the unmistakably fluffy texture of beaten egg whites, the foundation for meringues and angel food cake. A substitute for whipped egg whites has always been a vegan holy grail.
    Until now. Thanks to French chef Joël Roessel, I no longer need to pine hopelessly for the meringues of my youth, because I have chickpea brine.
    Yes, the dregs you usually pour down the drain when you open a can of chickpeas are actually magical. When whipped, this substance takes on an uncannily egg-white-like texture. Coined aquafaba, or Latin-ish for bean liquid, by vegan baker Goose Wohlt, it’s attracted more than 11,000 members to the Facebook group “Vegan Meringue - Hits and Misses!” I’ve been hooked on this Facebook feed for the past two weeks, amazed by all the miraculous things other vegans have done with the chickpea-based foam, like bake beautiful cakes and create delicious-looking pasta.
    As the name of the Facebook group suggests, the most mind-blowing feat of aquafaba is the meringue. Anyone who’s baked the French delicacy knows that it’s made of two simple ingredients: egg whites and sugar. (Sometimes cream of tartar or lemon juice is added to stabilize the foam.) If you take aquafaba and treat it the way you would egg whites—just follow Devo’s instructions—it acquires a fluffy white consistency that looks and tastes exactly like egg whites.
    Aquafaba devotees argue over why exactly chickpea cooking liquid can take on the properties of egg whites when whipped, without consensus. “Until a formal chemical and nutritional analysis is released publicly, the group is left to hypothesize about mechanisms of action and composition,” according to (For the record, all donations made to “go towards aquafaba chemical analysis,” the greatest scientific mystery of our time.) But once you start baking with aquafaba, you won’t care how it works—you’ll just want to keep making it. These days, every third post in the Facebook group is about what to do with all those leftover chickpeas.

fellow traveller

I reserve some the liquid and use it for the hummus if it's too thick.
    Why would you want to make vegan meringue?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Egg allergies.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Near Paris

Or if you're vegan ^_-

I discovered that chickpea liquid could be used a year or two ago and it changed my life (well ok I'm exaggerating. A bit. But I was glad I could make the biscuits my grandma used to make when I was little thanks to this stuff)
    I takes a bit longer to beat than actual egg white but eventually you get there.
    twitchy2.0 and Brah like this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

I'm a pescetarian, so I don't eat eggs---I had no idea chick pea liquid could do this! Very cool.

In the "D"

Pescatarianism has nothing to do with eggs.
    fgg and I'mNotBitter like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

^Well, I'm not a vegan---though I don't eat eggs, dairy, or mammalian meat, I still eat fish. I don't call myself a vegan because of it, pescetarian fits.

I love chickpeas in salads, but I use dried chickpeas. I have never made hummus, though.
    I will have to tell my vegan acquaintance about this.

Thread Information