Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Beeyotch
  • 1 Post By twitchy2.0

Thread: Thanksgiving in Texas is hot stuff

Default Thanksgiving in Texas is hot stuff

Texas leads nation in Thanksgiving cooking fires

By Markian Hawryluk

Updated 11:54 am, Monday, November 23, 2015

Deep-frying turkey has put Texas at the top of list of most Thanksgiving cooking-related insurance claims, according to State Farm.

If you're planning on deep-frying a turkey this week, keep in mind that Texas leads the nation in grease- and cooking-related insurance claims over the Thanksgiving holiday.
    According to data from State Farm Insurance, more cooking fires occur on Thanksgiving than on any other day of the year. The number of cooking fire claims received by the company has dropped from 66 in 2010 to 29 in 2012.

But Texas accounts for more claims than any other state by a pretty wide margin. From 2005 through 2012, State Farm received 38 claims for Thanksgiving cooking-related fire damage, followed by Illinois with 27, and Pennsylvania and Ohio with 23. More than a third of fires involved garages, decks or patios.

Texas' large population and warm weather likely contribute to its status atop the list. However, California, which has nearly 50 percent more residents than Texas, accounted for less than half the number of claims.
    November is the number one month for grease and cooking related fire and December is the second highest month.
    According to State Farm Insurance claims data, the top states for grease and cooking-related claims on Thanksgiving Day (2005-2012) are:

Texas 38
    Illinois 27
    Pennsylvania 23
    Ohio 23
    New York 22
    South Carolina 16
    Georgia 16
    Minnesota 15
    Michigan 15
    California 14
    Indiana 14
    Louisiana 14
    Florida 14

The insurance company said most turkey fryer and cooking fires are preventable and offered the following tips:
    The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. It's important to be alert.
    Have a "kid-free zone" of at least 3 feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.
    Keep anything that can catch fire oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains away from your stovetop.
    Keep an extinguisher approved for cooking or grease fire nearby.

Turkey Fryer Safety Tips
    Cook outdoors at a safe distance from any buildings or trees and keep the fryer off any wooden structures, such as a deck or patio.
    Avoid a hot oil spillover by first filling the pot with cold oil and then lower the thawed turkey into the pot to determine how much oil should be either added or removed.
    Shut off the fuel source or flame when adding the turkey to the hot oil to prevent a dangerous flare-up if oil does spill over the rim.
    Make sure your turkey is properly thawed before lowering it slowly into the pot.
    Never leave a hot turkey fryer unattended.
    Do not use ice or water to cool down oil or extinguish an oil fire.
    Keep an extinguisher approved for cooking or grease fire nearby.

Texas leads nation in Thanksgiving cooking fires - Houston Chronicle
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

People fry whole turkeys? Honest question from a non-American vegetarian.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Oh yes, and they're delicious. They stay far juicier than oven-baked ones and cook in a fraction of the time, maybe 45 min - 1hr depending on the size.

We're about to add to Texas' statistical risk of turkey fires--we're having Thanksgiving in Austin and if my FIL has found a deep fryer...

Fires happen because morons don't watch it for consistent temperature and the worst stupidity is when the turkey is not fully defrosted. I guess a lot of people can't put it together that water+boiling hot oil = disaster.

Ona recent episode of Valerie Bertinelli's ccoking show she has on Food Network, she used an indoor countertop turkey fryer similar to this one:

I think I'd be too scared to use something like this indoors, you hear so many horror stories regarding outdoor turkey fryers that I can't imagine trying one inside.

Yes they do. It's becoming all the rage. I finally had my first one last year and I don't want to go back to the old way. It was delicious!

Mr. I'mNotBitter has been doing this for a while.

Deep-Fried Turkey Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Just don't use the stuffing recipe that the pilgrims used. The Time a Pilgrim Was Executed for Having Sex with a Turkey
    witchcurlgirl likes this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Wow. My home state is third, and Florida is in last place with the least amount of fires...on which alternate universe did this shit happen?
    *BITTER side-eyes, looking for SHELLEE*
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Thread Information