Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Pescatarian holiday meal recommendations?

Default Pescatarian holiday meal recommendations?

We do an annual "friendsgiving" that we have dubbed NoFucksGiving due to the fact it's all friend family and many of us work jobs that potentially have to work on Thanksgiving/Black Friday (everywhere from retail to hospital to police) so we actually hold it a week later when it's easier to request days off. Normally everyone who attends is a meat eater, but this year we have a new addition. A friend just got engaged, and his fiance is a pescatarian (and a somewhat picky eater at that). I'm not a great cook when it comes to fish dishes, and I'm the primary cook for the dinner. I can convert everything else I usually make for Thanksgiving to be fully vegetarian, with the obvious exception of the turkey.

Does anyone have any ideas of something I can make, that I probably can't screw up and that she might actually like, so she has something to eat other than side dishes? I am a good cook in general, I just always seem to dry out fish no matter how much I try to watch it to make sure I don't overcook it.

Can you do shellfish? Shrimp can be prepared easily in many ways and you can buy it already cleaned.

Also, many supermarkets sell fish on a plank or foil trays and you just pop the whole thing on a grill or in the oven for a few minutes. They usually tell you how long to cook it on the package. Very easy.
    Brookie and NoDayButToday like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Salmon is a relatively easy, fatty fish to cook. Pretty easy, too. When you bake it, you can add a couple pats of butter to the top of the fish to keep it from drying out. A couple of good ways to cook it are to add the pats of butter, a little salt, fresh ground pepper and a bit of fresh dill. Also, another good way is to add some sliced lemon and some cajun seasoning. Really good and versatile. you can serve it with the other sides. Unless, like you said, the person is a picky eater anyway.
    sputnik and NoDayButToday like this.

The easiest way to not dry out fish is to semi butter poach it. Just season it, add lots of butter, and put it in the oven for 15-20 minutes on 300 in a covered pyrex of some type. This works best with any kind of white fish, I'm not sure about the more exotic fish. My favorite is sea bass, my staple is the frozen tilapia packs that you can get anywhere. I always have those in my freezer because it very easy for the boys to make.

And no one is going to disagree with butter, no matter how picky they are. They might be hesitant because of the calories, but they will eat that shit up.

Also keep in mind that the time I gave you of 15-20 minutes is for high altitude, I'm not sure what it would be for you lowlanders. I've honestly forgotten how long things need to cook in lower altitudes.
    Brookie and NoDayButToday like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I do a baked salmon filet with skin still on. Cover a pyrex dish with foil (easy cleanup) and do this garlic-lemon-dijon mix on top of the salmon, which I don't even bother to cut into individual portions. Sometimes I add a couple Tbsp of white wine for aromatic effect. So good and dead easy. I got it from Baked Salmon with Garlic and Dijon

Ingredients for the Best Baked Salmon
    1.5 lbs salmon fillets (this was a wild sockeye)
    2 Tbsp parsley, freshly chopped
    2 large or 3 small garlic cloves, pressed
    1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard (we used grey poupon)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp ground black pepper
    1/8 cup light olive oil (not extra virgin, pick something with a higher smoke point)
    2 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice
    Lemon slices (for effect

Preheat the oven to 450˚F.
    1. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. I didn’t line the dish and later regretted it while I scrubbed fiercely for a day and a half.

2. In a small bowl,mix together: 2 Tbsp chopped parsley, 2-3 pressed cloves garlic, 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp of pepper, 1/8 cup of olive oil and 2 Tbsp of lemon juice.

3. Slice salmon into even portions: I ended up with 4 generous cuts of salmon. Lay them onto a lined baking dish with the skin-side-down.

4. Generously brush all sides of salmon with sauce and top with fresh slices of lemon.
    5. Bake at 450F for 12-15 min or until just cooked through and flaky. Don’t over-cook or it will be dry. There you have it! An easy, excellent dish.

NoDayButToday likes this.

I was also going to suggest salmon. Not just for the pescetarian because it's also a traditional holiday dish in many places.
    Because it's for a holiday dinner, I would do a whole salmon in the oven, you can also do it poached (or semi poached salmon) bit either way I would use the whole fish rather than filets, it will look nicer served on a platter that way.

look up easy recipes online. I'm sure Martha or Jamie Oliver have many options.
    here's one I found Whole Roasted Salmon | Fish Recipes | Jamie Oliver Recipes
    This one also has baby fennel, and fennel and salmon is one of the most delicious food combinations of all time.
    twitchy2.0 and NoDayButToday like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

ok - this is how i make salmon steaks in the oven. put some baby bok choy in a baking dish. mix hoisin sauce, a few spoonfuls of OJ, and some freshly shredded ginger in a cup. put salmon on top of bok choy. brush hoisin goop on salmon. cover the pan with foil or lid. bake in moderate oven for 15-18 minutes depending on how well done you like it.
    NoDayButToday and twitchy2.0 like this.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Get some halibut and put that shit in parchment paper. En papillote, a sturdy white fish without an overwhelming flavor, you put all the seasoning in the packet, throw it in the over and continue to give no fucks. That shit will come out PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!!

This works as a way to work it for presentation, also making smaller servings for individuals... all that shiz.
    NoDayButToday likes this.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I FLOVE the taste of salmon so much that I typically just pan-sear it seasoned with coarse salt, cracked pepper, dill and a splash of lemon (and eat it quite rare, but you don't have to), but all the baked versions in this thread sound delicious! Of course, the last conversation I had with my neighbour/friend revolved around ranking our top seafoods from most awesome to least-but-still-awesome, so possibly I'm a bit biased... he puts bar clams right up near the top but I prefer steamers and salmon ranks just under lobster for me, plus bar clams are really more of a snack... what were we talking about?
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Bronze Member

Some of my closest friends are commercial fishermen, so there is NO TILAPIA, EVER eaten in my house. Just do a quick search of fish farms, and what tilapia eats, and you'll never eat it again.

My suggestion for a fish dish that almost everyone would want a taste of is fresh (sushi grade if you can find) tuna loin, preferably Big Eye or Blackfin. Yellowfin works if that's all that's available, and while good, isn't AS good. If your fish market does not have, you can always request a piece be delivered to the store. Most stores place orders, and would be happy to add something for you.

Cooking is simple. Take the loin, season liberally with sea salt and cracked pepper. A more "flaked" salt gives a nice crust. Sear on all sides for a minute or two in a screaming hot pan. Remove from the pan and let sit loosely tented with foil for at least 5-10 minutes before slicing.

Serve with your favorite condiment- soy, a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds, wasabi, etc. It's delicious, and there isn't anything easier to cook.
    NoDayButToday and twitchy2.0 like this.

I'm from the Midwest, I know what fish farms are and what they eat. Who cares, my favorite fish is catfish anyway.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Farmed tilapia tastes like fishy nothing. Farmed salmon is also bland as fuck. Pass.
    czb and twitchy2.0 like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I was also going to suggest salmon. Not just for the pescetarian because it's also a traditional holiday dish in many places.
    Because it's for a holiday dinner, I would do a whole salmon in the oven, you can also do it poached (or semi poached salmon) bit either way I would use the whole fish rather than filets, it will look nicer served on a platter that way.
    With the head on?????????

I vote for all the salmon recipes. Whole Foods has Wild Caught King salmon filets (exactly like the above photo) for $20/pound and $12/pound when on sale.
    NoDayButToday and sputnik like this.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Halibut!!!!!!
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    With the head on?????????
    Why not? Chalet, are you one of those "I won't eat anything with eyes" babies?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information