• 2 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 2 Post By whitetigeress
  • 1 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 2 Post By whitetigeress
  • 1 Post By sputnik
  • 1 Post By Air Quotes

Thread: Sweet Wine suggestions?

Default Sweet Wine suggestions?

Tonight is our 1 year anniversary and we are pulling out the frozen wedding cake. I want to pick up a bottle of wine (either still or sparkling) to drink with it, and the husband agreed it was a good idea. Except my husband only likes really sweet wine and usually the sweetest I will go when picking for myself is a riesling, so I'm not really sure what to pick up. Anyone have any recommendations that they like?

Moscato!!!

Wait - I just googled that and it doesn't appear to always be a sweet wine. I could have sworn that when we were in Napa a couple of months ago, that was the case, though.

A Muscato? Also known as Moscato, Muscatel or Muscadel, It is very sweet and can be bubbly. I brought Barefoot Muscato for New Years one year to serve with a charcuterie platter which is something you could also put together to offset the sweetness of the cake and wine. And maybe a couple green grapes too on the side.

Make a feast of it to fill your tummies. You'll need the energy to celebrate your first year
    My only other suggestion is Ice Wine. The "champagne" of sweet wines if that makes any sense lol.

Congrats!!!!!

edit* It can be Mo. It can be, so you are quite right to suggest it

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigeress View Post
    A Muscato? Also known as Moscato, Muscatel or Muscadel, It is very sweet and can be bubbly. I brought Barefoot Muscato for New Years one year to serve with a charcuterie platter which is something you could also put together to offset the sweetness of the cake and wine. And maybe a couple green grapes too on the side.

Make a feast of it to fill your tummies. You'll need the energy to celebrate your first year
    My only other suggestion is Ice Wine. The "champagne" of sweet wines if that makes any sense lol.

Congrats!!!!!

edit* It can be Mo. It can be, so you are quite right to suggest it
    Thanks! By the way, I just went back and checked our vacation pictures. We took photos of the wine lists at the places we visited. The best dessert wines were at Castello di Amoroso and Kendall Jackson.

Castello's dessert wine was a Sauterne-style wine made from semillon grapes. It was AMAAAAAAZING. The problem, though is that it is $90 for a 375 mL bottle. But anything in the Sauterne style should knock NoDay's husband's socks off. It is smooth, and thick, and tastes like honey mixed with multiple fruit.

Kendall Jackson's dessert wine was Grand Reserve Late Harvest Chardonnay. It was served at the end of our tasting with caramel popcorn. Awesome. I just checked and it only costs $20-25 for a 375 mL bottle. I think it is very worth it at that price. I think I'm going to see if I can find a bottle somewhere for Mrs. Mohandas as a surprise..... Dessert Wine | Late Harvest Wines | Kendall-Jackson
    NoDayButToday likes this.

But anything in the Sauterne style should knock NoDay's husband's socks off. It is smooth, and thick, and tastes like honey mixed with multiple fruit.

You called it saying it's thick. I agree!
    If she goes with Sauterne, I would have it with the cake alone. Nothing else.

sauternes. they can be on the pricy side but totally worth it for an anniversary.
    moscato is good too.

also, see if you can find a bottle of canadian ice wine. those are yummy.

i would skip sweet sparkling wines because all the ones i've had tend to be yucky. brut forever when it comes to sparkling wine.

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigeress View Post

If she goes with Sauterne, I would have it with the cake alone. Nothing else.

i like sweet wines with foie gras more than with dessert but i don't have much of a sweet tooth.
    Last edited by sputnik; June 8th, 2015 at 01:54 PM.
    NoDayButToday likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thanks guys, gonna head over to Total Wine armed with these suggestions, see what I can find. Never actually tried any moscato varieties (because I don't usually gravitate towards sweet wines on my own), but it sounds like they will be up his alley. Plus a lot of them appear to be paired well with berries from a quick search and (IIRC), our top tier of our wedding cake had a white chocolate and raspberry filling in it. There's definitely some kind of berry filling in there....

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    Thanks guys, gonna head over to Total Wine armed with these suggestions, see what I can find. Never actually tried any moscato varieties (because I don't usually gravitate towards sweet wines on my own), but it sounds like they will be up his alley. Plus a lot of them appear to be paired well with berries from a quick search and (IIRC), our top tier of our wedding cake had a white chocolate and raspberry filling in it. There's definitely some kind of berry filling in there....
    Kendall Jackson also have a late harvest orange moscato that was awesome.
    And Beringer has a sparkling pink moscato that she liked so much she brought it back from Napa. I can't remember how sweet it was, though.

We have a Total Wine near us - love that place - HUGE and inexpensive. For some reason, though, Total Wine's web site seems to be down right now....

czb

ok - we only do sweet wines sometimes with desserts, not with entrees, so i can't help you with the latter. but for the former, we do either limoncello or japanese plum brandy.

yummmmm

Gewürztraminer is a great choice.
    Beeyotch likes this.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Moscato is sweet, but not too sweet; another one I just tried is Roscato Red, an Italian sweeet wine.

A*O

Not sure how available it is but Tokay/Tokaji/Tokaj style wines are pretty sweet too. Originally from Hungary/Slovakia they are now made almost everywhere but in small quantities so price may be an issue. Any dessert wine will do the job really. Sauternes really is like liquid honey which is a good or bad thing depending on your taste. Most dessert wines come in half bottle size as they are designed to be sipped anyway. Do NOT attempt to use any leftovers in cooking. Gag.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Kendall Jackson also have a late harvest orange moscato that was awesome.
    And Beringer has a sparkling pink moscato that she liked so much she brought it back from Napa. I can't remember how sweet it was, though.

We have a Total Wine near us - love that place - HUGE and inexpensive. For some reason, though, Total Wine's web site seems to be down right now....
    Love Total Wine so much, there is one across the street from my store so I've gotten to be a huge fan of that place. I also love the "build your own 6 pack" of craft beers. Best ever. I asked for some help there, and most of the wines people liked here either weren't in stock, or weren't carried at that location. So, I went with their suggestion. I'm a weird sucker for good labels and sometimes weird names, so this one drew me in too. Got a pink moscato from Bug Juice (Rinaldi Moscato d'Asti Pink Bug Juice). The guy at total wine said he really likes it and it has cherry and strawberry notes, which will hopefully go really well with the berries in the cake filling. Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Air Quotes View Post
    Gewürztraminer is a great choice.
    I was going to suggest this too. Along the same lines as Riesling, a little sweeter.

Thread Information