Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Halp!

Default Halp!

I'm in dire need of recipe ideas.

I'm hosting a meal and one guest has insane restrictions. She's volunteered to bring her own food, but, if it's possible, I'd like to serve something everyone can eat.

She's never done meat and has always had a pretty severe dairy intolerance. With recent joint pain and digestive health issues, she's cut out much more (apparently the plan is to reintroduce foods back one at a time).

Anyway, here's the list of current no's.

meat
    dairy
    wheat
    acidic foods - lemon, vinegar, acidic fruits, etc.
    nightshades - tomato, potato, peppers, cayenne, etc.
    sugar
    Oh, and caffeine.

so far, I'm thinking rice...
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Cold or hot? Either way french lentils are wonderful as a main dish or a cold salad and hold their shape after cooking.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

I'm similarly restrictive (out of neurosis rather than actual medical need, for the most part) and don't eat animal meat, dairy, wheat, and refrain as much a possible on sugar, but no nightshades either? that's tough! I usually eat potatoes or tomatoes with every meal, but I have some recommendations (I linked since it'd be too many long URLs)--

You could make something with lentils or black beans (like patties or balls), with a salad. There's a restaurant near me that makes something like that and it's incredible, a black bean and rice patty with vegan pesto and a salad with beets, radishes, and carrots with a carrot ginger dressing, it was out of this world. There's some great salads out there, like this one looks fantastic.

There's always roasted vegetables (carrots, onions, asparagus, brussel sprouts, artichokes, w/e), with a good amount of olive oil and some nice seasonings it's a great focus for someone who can't eat something else that's offered. Last year I made roasted brussel sprouts with a black cherry sauce for thanksgiving and it was a hit. I subbed olive oil for the butter, and you could probably leave out the vinegar.Vegetables with hummus is always simple, too.

Ummm there's butternut squash "mac n cheese", I used that recipe once and it was delicious. It involves buying a lot of stuff that you might not use regularly, though, and could be a waste afterwards. I don't know if curry could be okay if you left out the chile peppers, but here's a red lentil and squash curry stew that was pretty good, though it may be too warm out for a stew.

Except for the mac n cheese one, those recipes I linked are pretty simple to make without having to buy gluten free flours and all that, I think one might call for oat flour but if you have oats on hand, you just can process them into a flour yourself.

Since I've cut out a lot, I learned it's pretty much about making 1 vegetable the focus, and just some easy substitutions (olive or coconut oil for butter, and buckwheat/oat/rice instead of wheat flour/wheat) can make most recipes workable (though not always comparable).

Here's an insanely specific pinterest recipe board I found that could help -- https://www.pinterest.com/jmrsulliva...-free-recipes/

EDIT: Just found this recipe, it looks delicious and a lot simpler and less involved than the mac n cheese (less special products to buy, you would just need gluten free linguine and leave out the garlic) http://cookieandkate.com/2014/creamy...th-fried-sage/ . I'm dying to make it myself, now, it's a vegan creamy butternut squash linguine.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.

Oh, fantastic! Thanks guys! I also found a soup that will work. Climate Week ยป Pumpkin, Chickpea and Spinach Soup

words I never thought would come from me: that Pinterest board is perfect!
    sputnik likes this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A*O

Couscous? Loads of recipes on Google, many with veggies, dried fruit and nuts (or are nuts banned too?).
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Nuts are good.

I haven't tried this one yet, but I love quinoa so it's been on my list. You could switch out the chicken stock for veggie, and I'm not sure if shallots and garlic count as nightshades (I hope not, because i'm not sure what else you could use to get a similar flavor) and it's got enough protein to be a main dish.

Quinoa with Toasted Pine Nuts Recipe | MyRecipes.com
    twitchy2.0 likes this.

Are onion and leeks in or out? I have some Greek foods I could suggest. There's Black eyed peas with spinach . In the recipe I am linking there is tomato too but you can totally skip it. I also use leek myself and quite a bit of spinach and it comes out very good.

Also prasoriso, which is basically leek with rice risotto (huge leek fan here )

Artichokes with peas again, in the recipe there are tomatoes and lemon etc but it is really not needed so much. even without it, it's fine

and finally spanakorizo, basically spinach with rice:

It's insanely good. Here's a pretty decent recipe without tomato: Spanakorizo (Greek Spinach Rice) | Simple. Tasty. Good.

Omit the lemons, though! It tastes fine without, honest.

Let us know what you end up making! You're a good friend, if someone came up with a list that restrictive I'd be tempted to just throw some rice crackers at them.
    rollo, InigoMontoya and twitchy2.0 like this.
    If a god of love and life ever did exist... he is long since dead. Someone... something, rules in his place.

Maybe also try GOOP, because her recipes are always very restricted.
    rollo likes this.

Oooh yeah leeks, a leek tart would be awesome.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

But how can you make a tart without any wheat and dairy?

Another idea if she eats eggs (does she?) would be to make her a nargesi, it's a persian recipe for spinach with eggs. It's very good. Omelet with vegetables might also work and perhaps some mushrooms.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    If a god of love and life ever did exist... he is long since dead. Someone... something, rules in his place.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    But how can you make a tart without any wheat and dairy?

Another idea if she eats eggs (does she?) would be to make her a nargesi, it's a persian recipe for spinach with eggs. It's very good. Omelet with vegetables might also work and perhaps some mushrooms.
    Day late and a dollar short as always, I am. :p

You can use cauliflower for crusts for tarts, pizzas, etc.
    Air Quotes and twitchy2.0 like this.

Bumping the thread to ask if anyone has any good squash recipes. I have 3 large squash that look like oversized zucchini; the skin is not super hard, but not as soft as a normal zucchini. My mom suggested I cut it up and boil it with piloncillo or brown sugar, similar to how she would cook pumpkin. I would like to use it more as a side dish; we barbecue quite often, and would get the most use out of it that way. Any suggestions?

I either slice it and sautee it with garlic butter or you can slice them and marinated them in italian dressing or whatever and put them on kabob sticks and grill them.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

So, I can place slices on the grill skin on? Or would I need to peel it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information