Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Bad Wasteful Coffee Machine for Lazy People No Longer Popular

Default Bad Wasteful Coffee Machine for Lazy People No Longer Popular

I love this article. Unit price of Keurig coffee is ridiculous, and like the article mentions, it produces a lot of unnecessary waste:

Bad Wasteful Coffee Machine for Lazy People No Longer Popular

Sales of Keurig push-button coffee makers plunged last quarter, and the company’s stock price is plunging too. Is the “bad coffee at high prices plus wanton waste generation” formula breaking down? Or what?
    Keurig’s business model has traditionally been to offer consumers convenience (a cup of coffee with the push of a single button) in exchange for them paying $50 per pound to drink coffee that tastes like socks and produces enough needless plastic garbage to recreate the Great Pacific garbage patch. This formula has made the company a good investment for years, thanks to the sloth and poor taste of its wastrel target audience (Americans). Now, though, it appears that the fun may be over—the new “Keurig 2.0” model is a flop. Have Americans finally reached the conclusion that their affinity for this one-touch shit coffee was all a terrible mistake? Kind of. People are reportedly mostly mad that the company’s new machine made it impossible to use the refillable K-Cups that allowed them to forgo the waste and the ridiculous price-per-pound, and perhaps even to have coffee that was slightly better than the usual sour and tepid Keurig brew. Coffee that tasted only like clean laundry water, rather than socks. You may be amused to learn that the reason the company offered for this blatant cash grab remodel of their new machines read in part, “the brewer has no way of determining what beverage is being used or how much coffee is being added, and therefore cannot adjust to factors such as brew strength and amount of water, which could represent a safety concern.”
    Now the company’s sales are so horrible they will be bringing back the load-your-own-K-Cup compatibility, which—as a move that could cut into profitable sales of their own K-Cups—is an indicator of true corporate desperation. This company is fighting for its miserable life. And it will even allow you, the lazy American with poor taste, to use your own god damn coffee in its little machine, if that is what it takes.
    Alternatively just use a coffee pot like a normal person, you fools.

I still love mine, but I don't use their k-cups. I got some $5 reusable cups on Amazon and put whatever coffee I want in it. K-cup coffee is vastly inferior anyway, as well as being wasteful.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Thank you!!! I was given a Keurig in 2012 as a gift. I then go to purchase the k-cups and was appalled at the price, so I purchased a "permanent" K-cup to fill it with my own, albeit, cheaper coffee. (Which tasted just as good, btw.) It would take FOREVER to make and then only fill 1/2 of the coffee cup.

3 months ago, the Keurig broke!! I did a happy dance. Put it in the trash and promptly went to Wal-mart and bought a $12.00 Mr. Coffee maker. The next morning was sheer delight as I listened to the "sluurrrrr" of the coffee brewing and basked in the aroma that filled my home.

Ahhhh. This is what it's all about.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; May 8th, 2015 at 10:21 AM.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

I forgot about that little Keurig adapter cup that you can fill with regular coffee grounds - I think that is pretty cool.

Bluebonnet - my MIL and FIL gave me a travel mug that is also a French press. A couple times here at work. I have poured an entire packet of grounds that is supposed to be for one whole pot and made myself French press coffee with it. I love how the coffee looks all dark orange when I add creamer to it.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

fgg

my office abandoned the urn style coffee pots about 3 years ago for keurigs. we (not me) probably go through hundreds of k-cups each day for the 200+ people in this office alone! beside the expense, the garbage we're creating is disgusting.
    mtlebay likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Thank you for the beyond life-size Mr. Coffee poster, Bluebonnet!!!
    Bluebonnet likes this.

I hate these things. I think the coffee stinks. The only one I've ever enjoyed was one in out hotel room in Santa Barbara. We grabbed a pack of the cups from Starbucks and used them in the room the few mornings we were there. I think the water doesn't get hot enough to brew the coffee correctly or something. Even with a good quality coffee, it tasted off.
    sputnik likes this.

I never understood the appeal of Keurig based on the cost alone. Then I tasted that shiteous coffee and reaffirmed my dislike.

If I'm going to blow money on coffee, I'd like to own a really nice cappuccino maker.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

The most amazing part to me, is that there are like 90 different little K cups with all kinds of colorful descriptive labels, but actually only 4 distinctly different flavors. I hope Elizabeth Warren looks into that f*ckery!

A*O

Well, it depends on what passes for "good" coffee in the land of the free. The shit I've tasted over the years makes me wonder. We have a cheapo ($50) Caffitaly pod coffee machine - MrAO is an addict - and it's fine although some pod "flavours" are better than others. The strongest Espresso usually works best.

Aussies do great coffee - the Italian immigrants opened lots of cafés - so we're coffee snobs. Starbucks failed spectacularly in Melbourne.
    sputnik likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I used to have this fancy schmancy delonghi coffee/espresso/cappuccino maker that broke down after year.
    Brought a used brew and grind at a thrift store for $2o. I put extra coffee in for a deeper, stronger flavor.
    A bit of maple syrup. A squirt of milk. Vigorously shake a bottle of cream til super foamy to top the cup and voila, dark roast maple latte with foam.
    I swear it tasted better than the fancy schmancy ones.
    lindsaywhit likes this.

I have an older-than-dirt personal sized Mr Coffee that I love - it works after all this time. My Keurig broke in less than a year and I never considered buying another one.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I used to have the little Mr. Coffee maker but I'd be gone for a couple days or just flat out forget to dump it and it'd get moldy. I was too lazy for it. My ex roomie had a Kuerig and he bought the cups so I didn't care about cost and since I like a little coffee with my creamer it was fine for me. But now that I'm living along again I just use the starbucks instant Via. Prolly shit to real coffee drinkers but super easy and nothing to clean or fill or anything.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post

Aussies do great coffee - the Italian immigrants opened lots of cafés - so we're coffee snobs. Starbucks failed spectacularly in Melbourne.
    Same in Sydney - I think there might be 2 in the city and they're mostly for the tourists. I'm not a coffee drinker but every little cafe around my area (lots of post-war migrants) apparently do excellent coffee. Campos in Newtown has queues around the corner, the coffee is so good (so I've been told).
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I have a keurig and have stopped using it. First off, the coffee pods are expensive. Secondly, I'm concerned about my plastic exposure and the environmental waste. Thirdly, you can never get a truly hot cup of coffee. The water temperature seems to heat to just below boiling. Coffee needs to be reheated after 5 minutes.

I use my 2 cup french press instead. A little more work but the coffee is hot and good.
    Brookie likes this.
    Why do people say, "Grow some balls?" Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information