Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 4 Post By CornFlakegrl
  • 1 Post By mtlebay
  • 2 Post By witchcurlgirl
  • 2 Post By darksithbunny
  • 2 Post By gas_chick

Thread: Congratulations, You Are Drinking Lots of Arsenic In Your Cheap Wine

Default Congratulations, You Are Drinking Lots of Arsenic In Your Cheap Wine

Congratulations, You Are Drinking Lots of Arsenic In Your Cheap Wine

In news that will fuck up your weekend and your wine cellar (if you've got one but who's got one?!): a class-action lawsuit was filed on Thursday against 28 California wineries for containing high levels of arsenic. Time now to graduate to fancy wine, or at the very least steer very clear from two-buck-chucks and Franzia.

Mother Jones reports:

According to the complaint, three independent laboratories tested the wines and found that some contained levels of arsenic "up to 500% or more than what is what is considered the maximum acceptable safe daily intake limit. Put differently, just a glass or two of these arsenic-contaminated wines a day over time could result in dangerous arsenic toxicity to the consumer."

I don't even understand what consuming 500% more of anything feels like, except maybe a Franzia hangover?

The origins of the lawsuit draw back to Kevin Hicks, a former wine distributor who started BeverageGrades, a Denver-based lab that analyzes wine. The lab tested 1,300 bottles of California wine, and found that about a quarter of them had higher levels of arsenic than the maximum limit that the Environmental Protection Agency allows in water. Hicks noticed a trend: As he told CBS, "The lower the price of wine on a per-liter basis, the higher the amount of arsenic." Trader Joe's Charles Shaw White Zinfandel came in at three times the EPA's level, while Franzia's White Grenache was five times higher. The lawsuit alleges that the contaminated wines are cheaper in part because their producers don't "implement the proper methods and processes to reduce inorganic arsenic."

But the aggrieved are coming against these allegations with wine bottles blazing, cuz reputation:

Wine industry groups have begun to contest the lawsuit's contentions and motive. The California wine trade group, the Wine Institute, released astatement saying, "While there are no established limits in the U.S., several countries, including the European Union, have established limits of 100 parts per billion or higher for wine. California wine exports are tested by these governments and are below the established limits." A representative of The Wine Group, one of the defendants, says that the plaintiffs "decided to file a complaint based on misleading and selective information in order to defame responsible California winemakers, create unnecessary fear, and distort and deceive the public for their own financial gain."

I'm unconvinced and taking a skrong stance against arsenic.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Ah, at last something scientific to justify my expensive (ok, just not cheap) taste in wines.

White Zinfandel I haven't drank since college and I've never even heard of white grenache, sounds just as overly sweet and fruity as white zin.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Ah, at last something scientific to justify my expensive (ok, just not cheap) taste in wines.
    Beeyotch, the plaintiffs are actually suing at least 22 different American wineries - there are numerous high-end wineries on there, too. I extracted and sorted the list below. By the way, if I am reading this correctly, they are holding the wineries to the parts per billion standard that water is held to. The danger level they site is one quarter of the level that is considered acceptable in Europe. And the arsenic levels are comparable to what is found in fruit juice. AND the leader of the suit is a firm (BeverageGrades) that offers arsenic testing.

Sources:

Scaremongers Spark Fear Over Arsenic in Wine | Wine News & Features
    snopes.com: The Grape Depression

That being said, it is always good to monitor possible sources of arsenic in things we consume. Because it's in the soil, it's everywhere. Rice in your diet is probably going to be a bigger contributor to arsenice ingestion than just about anything else. Source: Arsenic In Your Food Investigated - Consumer Reports

List of wineries being sued:

BERINGER VINEYARDS, a California Corporation
    CALIFORNIA NATURAL PRODUCTS, a California Corporation
    CONSTELLATION WINES, US, a California Corporation
    DON SEBASTIANI & SONS INTERNATIONAL WINE
    F. KORBEL & BROS., INC., a California Corporation
    FETZER VINEYARDS, a California Corporation
    FOLIE À DEUX WINERY, a California Corporation
    GOLDEN STATE VINTNERS, a California Corporation
    JEAN-CLAUDE BOISSET WINES, USA, INC., a California Corporation
    MEGAN MASON AND RANDY MASON, D/B/A MASON CELLARS, a California Corporation
    OAKVILLE WINERY MANAGEMENT CORP., GP, a California Corporation
    RAYMOND VINEYARD AND CELLAR/RAYMOND VINEYARD AND CELLAR, INC., a California Corporation
    REBEL WINE CO., LLC a California Corporation
    SEAGLASS WINE CO., a California Corporation
    SIMPLY NAKED WINERY, a California Corporation
    SMITH & HOOK WINERY CORPORATION, a/k/a SMITH AND HOOK, a California Corporation, d/b/a, HAHN FAMILY WINES, a California Corporation
    SONOMA WINE CO., LLC, a California Corporation
    TREASURY WINES ESTATES AMERICAS CO., a California Corporation
    TREASURY WINES ESTATES HOLDING, INC., a California Corporation
    TRINCHERO FAMILY ESTATES, a California Corporation
    VARNI BROTHERS, CORP., a California Corporation
    WINERY EXCHANGE, INC., a California Corporation
    WOODBRIDGE WINERY, INC., a California Corporation

Oh good, I don't buy any of those brands.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Oh good, I don't buy any of those brands.
    You can't go by the name. For example, Constellation alone produces what appears to be about 72 different brands of beer and wine.

In any case, wine is not going to be where you are getting most of your arsenic.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.

I'm going to ignore the entire thing and go with Bee's interpretation that only white zin drinkers will die an early death from arsenic poisoning. I don't touch that shite.

Woodbridge, as in Robert Mondavi Woodbridge??
    I don't believe this, I consistently drink enough wine in my life that I would be dead by now. Unless it's just the whites? Because I don't drink that stuff.

Hopefully we can breath a sigh of relief--may not be true. Found this on my friend's FB 'like'. Googled the author Joe Schwarcz and he's a Professor of Chemistry at McGill University in Montreal and director of the McGill University Office for Science and Society. Can't find any internet links for the mo'.

Joe Schwarcz
    23 hrs ·

Arsenic laced wine

A story about arsenic in wine is spreading poison around the Internet. As far as I can tell, the lawsuit described in the circulating accounts is an attempt at money grab by a character who has a company that performs analyses for substances such as arsenic in beverages. He is trying to cash in on the public fear he hopes to generate that will make people clamor for the testing of wines, a service his company provides. Any story about arsenic, the fabled "widow maker" is guaranteed to trigger publicity. Witness Dr. Oz's shows on arsenic in apple juice and wine.

According to the lawsuit, some cheaper wines contain up to five times as much arsenic as is allowed in tap water, which is 10 ppb. Anything that grows in soil will have some arsenic because arsenic compounds occur naturally. The 10 ppb limit in water has a large safety factor built in, but more importantly, people do not drink as much wine as water. And if they do, they need to worry about the alcohol content far more than about the arsenic content..
    Tati likes this.
    Go Habs Go!!

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    I'm going to ignore the entire thing and go with Bee's interpretation that only white zin drinkers will die an early death from arsenic poisoning.
    As they well deserve.
    CornFlakegrl and greysfang like this.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

Oh goody, arsenic for everyone!
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Hit By Ban Bus!

Who cares, it's already in my apple juice anyways. I'm sure next year it will be in coffee or some such.

So glad I switched to vodka back in September.
    BoogsBun and Beeyotch like this.

Eh a little arsenic won't kill you in fact it might save your life if someone you love tries to off you with arsenic.
    Bluebonnet and Kittylady like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Thread Information