Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Why aren't my potatoes cooking?

Default Why aren't my potatoes cooking?

They are presently in the oven, one of my throw together casseroles. Vegetables, chicken with red wine, and QUARTERED red potatoes, the small ones. I poured crushed tomatoes with juice over the whole thing. It's cooking at 350 degrees F slowly for about 50 minutes now - and the potatoes are hard. They are deep in the juices too. Thank you.

Is it a crunchy potato casserole?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I just Googled it and apparently its something to do with the starch and the low initial cooking temp , I would increase the temp to 375 and give 20 minuets and see what happens
    Potatoes that won't cook - Home Cooking - Chowhound
    BITTER likes this.

If that doesn't work, you may want to get one of those oven thermometers and check your temperature. The temperature in mine is a good 25 degrees cooler than the dial says and I need to crank it up to compensate.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Is it a crunchy potato casserole?
    I am going to slap you, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by choozen1ne View Post
    I just Googled it and apparently its something to do with the starch and the low initial cooking temp , I would increase the temp to 375 and give 20 minuets and see what happens
    Potatoes that won't cook - Home Cooking - Chowhound
    Ahh, thank you. Starch. Cooking lesson # 39395

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    If that doesn't work, you may want to get one of those oven thermometers and check your temperature. The temperature in mine is a good 25 degrees cooler than the dial says and I need to crank it up to compensate.
    The oven is five months old, it's exact temp. I swear I'm going to par boil from now on.

Thanks, kids.
    choozen1ne and Brookie like this.

Low temp would be my guess, too. I cook potatoes at about 400 - 425 degrees. Unless they are in a slow cooker all day.
    chartreuse likes this.

Low and slow, yeah.

I made wagon wheels because mah taters suck.

It tastes good though. Chicken filets, brussel sprouts, cut up mushrooms, cut up Roma tomatoes, sliced spicy chicken sausage, red wine, can of crushed tomatoes, half cup water.

A*O

Yeah, parboil next time. It seems to me that different varieties of spuds have different cooking times. We can get things called Caliban (?) here which are supposed to be lower GI but they take HOURS to cook so I don't bother and use good old fashioned cheap and ordinary potatoes. My fave all rounders are the red skinned Desiree or King Edward's (unavailable in Oz). I also used to love Jersey Royal new potatoes but, alas, they are also unavailable here. Also Cox's Orange Pippin apples but that's another thread.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

That is a lot of potato knowledge, AO. Almost as much as Royal history. Any recipes come to mind?

it could also be you got a defective batch of potatoes, or what you thought were the usual red potatoes you get might be some other lookalike variety with a longer cooking time? sometimes the big roasting potatoes cook faster than little ones.

do you have a microwave? my super foodie amateur chef friend swears by microwaving potatoes before you cook them. and she's anti-microwave for most things but for potatoes she says the best thing is to nuke them for 5 minutes before roasting or baking and it will significantly speed up cooking time, especially if you're sticking them in the oven with other ingredients that cook faster. i don't have a microwave but my friend swears by it and i've heard it from others too.
    i'm assuming 5 minutes is for normal sized potatoes so if they're smaller maybe start with 4? cut a cross in them and pre-nuke before roasting.

also, a lot of stuff takes longer than the recipes tell you. they lie about caramelising onions - recipes always say 10-15 minutes but you have to do that at low heat and it never takes less than 30 minutes, and sometimes more like 40.
    Last edited by sputnik; April 30th, 2014 at 12:17 AM.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I vote microwaving first.
    Course,when I serve roasted root veggies I cook at 400 with tight top on. That takes about 45 min.
    Love these-turnips,peppers,potatoes,carrots-what ever you want. Quarter in big bite size,spray with olive oil and aggressive seasoning. Lord, it is so good!
    whitetigeress likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    it could also be you got a defective batch of potatoes, or what you thought were the usual red potatoes you get might be some other lookalike variety with a longer cooking time? sometimes the big roasting potatoes cook faster than little ones.

do you have a microwave? my super foodie amateur chef friend swears by microwaving potatoes before you cook them. and she's anti-microwave for most things but for potatoes she says the best thing is to nuke them for 5 minutes before roasting or baking and it will significantly speed up cooking time, especially if you're sticking them in the oven with other ingredients that cook faster.
    i'm assuming 5 minutes is for normal sized potatoes so if they're smaller maybe start with 4? cut a cross in them and pre-nuke before roasting.

also, a lot of stuff takes longer than the recipes tell you. they lie about caramelising onions - recipes always say 10-15 minutes but you have to do that at low heat and it never takes less than 30 minutes, and sometimes more like 40.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. When making baked potatoes, I always pre-nuke them and then put 'em in the oven to "cook" the skin. It shortens the baking time and gives me perfectly baked potatoes every time.

The suggestion of higher temp is correct.
    I googled too and found the following: "According to some sources, potatoes must reach an internal temperature of 210F before they soften". "I have heard that you must not "shock" the potatoes. So no hot liquid poured over them. I have also found that a sudden acid bath makes them hard in spots so if you are cooking them in tomatoes, precook them! I read this tip somewhere... I believe I heard the "shock" tip on Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals."

Hope this helps for the next time you are dealing with those pesky red potatoes

A*O

The "sudden shock" theory certainly applies to plain old boiled potatoes. Always put them in cold water and bring to the boil. Never put them straight into boiling water.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

A*O, I adore Jersey Royals too! I'd ship them out to you if I could.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Yes, my vote is nuke 'em first too. Then there's no danger of overcooking other stuff. I usually tent the meat with foil too, if I'm cooking at potato-friendly higher temps.

I never heard the term 'shocked potatoes' before.

soooo I Googled it and:

Scientists: 'Shocked' Potatoes More Nutritious

Potatoes should be given electric shock treatment to make them healthier, scientists said Sunday.

Researchers at Obihiro University in Japan found that zapping spuds with electric shocks forces them to produce more antioxidants, which protect the human body from cell damage.

The process involved immersing whole potatoes in salty water and zapping them for up to half an hour. Scientists then tested the spuds and found antioxidant levels rose by up to 50 percent. Other tests using ultrasound on the potatoes proved to be similarly beneficial.

Dr. Kazunori Hironaka, who headed the research, suggested that the inexpensive electric shock process could be used at an industrial level to make potatoes a so-called superfood.

"Antioxidants found in fruits and vegetables are considered to be of nutritional importance in the prevention of chronic diseases, such as cardiovascular disease, various cancers, diabetes and neurological diseases," said Hironaka. “We found that there hasn't been any research on the healthful effects of using mechanical processes to stress vegetables, so we decided in this study to evaluate effect of ultrasound and electric treatments on polyphenols and other antioxidants in potatoes."
    The findings were presented at the 240th national meeting of the American Chemical Society in Boston, Mass.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information