Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Mum turns lunchbox into daily work of art to tempt son

Default Mum turns lunchbox into daily work of art to tempt son

A mother has discovered the best way to get her son to eat his lunch is to turn boiled eggs into sheep, melons into easter chicks and sandwiches into trains

The Angry birds lunch made by mum Grace Hall for her son

A creative mum has become an online hit by turning her son's daily packed lunches into hundreds of pieces of art.
    Former accountant Grace Hall, 32, has now posted photos of more than 300 different lunches on a blog which is viewed by thousands of fans every day.
    Mrs Hall goes to incredible lengths to delight her six year old, turning sandwiches into Spiderman, Santa and the Very Hungry Caterpillar.
    Other characters include Elmer the Elephant, the Gruffalo, Thomas the Tank Engine, Goldilocks and the Funny Bones skeletons.
    She spends 15 minutes a day using fun cutters, egg moulds and food picks to turn the meals into tasty, colourful and healthy treats.

The full time mum bases her lunch box creations on everything from Lego to Roald Dahl's books, stories like The Three Little Pigs, songs and animals.
    Mrs Hall, from Winchester, Hants, said brightening up her son's lunches has turned an everyday chore into something she looks forward to.
    So much so, she actually misses it during the school holidays.
    Mrs Hall, who blogs about her efforts to 7,500 followers, said: "I started making the lunches when my son started school last year.
    "I had already spent a year struggling to come up with interesting packed lunches twice a week for pre-school.
    "I could see years of endless lunch-packing stretching ahead of me.
    "I also wanted to make sure he was getting a healthy meal every day and putting them into trendy bento style boxes seemed the perfect solution.
    "I soon found they were a great outlet for my own creativity - as a full time mum I get very little time for myself.
    "So making lunches is a way for me to turn an everyday chore into an opportunity to get creative."

Mrs Hall, who's married to Jamie Hall, 30, was inspired to switch to 'bento' lunch boxes after reading praise for them online from a mum in Canada.

She asks her son - nicknamed 'Small Child' in her blog - for ideas and requests.
    The full time mum also looks to books, favourite songs, colours, animals, events, the seasons and school topics for help.
    His current favourite lunches feature Angry Birds, dinosaurs and cats and will now happily polish off veg including striped beetroot and purple carrots.
    A set of themed lunches, like those based on her son's favourite tales for World Book Day, St George's Day or Comic Relief, requires extra thought.
    But Mrs Hall says she doesn't buy in special ingredients, just always keeps a good variety of fresh fruit and vegetables in the house.
    A list of food ideas stuck on the family fridge helps ensure each lunch has at least one portion of vegetable, fruit, dairy, carbohydrates and protein.
    Leftovers such as spare tortilla wraps or potatoes from a dinner are put to good use in the lunchboxes, and sweets and crisps are kept to a minimum.
    She fashions snails from a bread roll decorated with cheese for eyes, carrots carved into flowers and a cheese and ham toastie that looks like a pig.

Other examples include jacket potato boats, pasta, rice salad and cous cous.

Mrs Hall added: "Making up the lunches doesn't usually take long at all, between five and 15 minutes.
    "Occasionally I give a lunch a little extra time if it's a special theme or occasion but I truly believe it's not much more than 'traditional' lunches.
    "My son really loves the lunches.
    "I make them while he is eating his breakfast and he is always peering over my shoulder, interested in what I am making for him each day.
    "I know I've made a good one if he says it's cool.
    "My son was never a big eater before.
    "I used to worry about the amount of food he ate, or rather didn't eat, but since I started making bento style lunches, his appetite has grown.
    "These days he is much more enthusiastic about his food and will eat pretty much everything except celery."
    Mrs Hall remembers her own mother using fruit to make faces in the homemade bread that formed her childhood lunches.

Mum turns lunchbox into daily work of art to tempt son - Telegraph

Clubber Lang likes this.

A*O

Competitive Bento Box Mom. Great. She is setting up her little picky eater princeling for a lifetime of therapy.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

holy fuck, someone has a lot of free time.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Bitch please.
    laynes and greysfang like this.
    I saw DEATH, an anorexic penguin, an overcooked Gollum, Mr. Burns in need of a haircut and a methed-up Riff Raff.--Michael K. on Phil Spector

I find this really annoying and I hope she doesn't continue for long, because other kids aren't going to find this "adorable" or "sweet", they're going to make fun of the kid. Maybe that's unfortunate, but it's true.
    Kittylady likes this.

I love the one with the castle sandwich. Very cute stuff. But for the kid...no way.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

I can't help it, I'm not even a mom but this makes me feel lazy and inadequate. It all just screams, "better than you."

Every once in a while, ok the kid will probably appreciate it. But if it's the norm, yeah the kid's gonna be meh about it and maybe get made fun of.
    Novice likes this.

A*O

The kid won't appreciate it, he will come to EXPECT it. And people wonder how the entitlement generation was created, not to mention the mother's passive aggressive "See My Bento Box And Weep Bitches" fuckuppery.
    BelledeJour and greysfang like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I think they're cute.

This is one very bored mother though.

Kid's going to choke on one of those little plastic pieces someday.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

some very cute ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

clearly my mom didn't love me enough! those lunches rule
    kasippu likes this.

Cute but I think the kid would spend more time playing with that crap or showing it off to their friends than eating it. Kids have limited time at lunch and should eat their damn food.
    Just Kill Me and politesse like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    holy fuck, someone has a lot of free time.
    Seriously. My kid has a Hello Kitty lunch bag that she takes to Mommy and Me once a week. I stay at home and I still don't do anything like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I can't help it, I'm not even a mom but this makes me feel lazy and inadequate. It all just screams, "better than you."

Every once in a while, ok the kid will probably appreciate it. But if it's the norm, yeah the kid's gonna be meh about it and maybe get made fun of.
    My thought was somewhat along those lines too.
    More like "Fuk, you biatch for making me shytty for giving my kids crap."

And then I remember that kids don't even eat that much at school.
    All that time and effort, hard work and creativity.. slaving over each meal. All for naught.
    Just to fackin' show off.
    Pfft

Wonder if she has a pig to eat the leftovers?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information