Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eggs

Question Eggs

I dont have chickens so I cant have fresh eggs everyday like Id like so I buy them at the grocery store.
    My question is does anyone know how long eggs are good for past the expiration date that is stamped on the carton?
    When I was a teenager my stepmom worked with a lady who had chickens and she would give us eggs every Monday and Thursday. Those were the best tasting eggs by the way.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Re: Eggs

If the eggs are past the expiry date then I'd throw them out...or if it's just a day or two past due then I'll boil them.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Zee

I'm comfortable using them up to 2 weeks after the expiration date. Never had any problems.

Went to Ireland and was surprised to see eggs sitting on the grocery shelf. Non refrigerated. The grocery clerk was amazed that they are refrigerated in the US.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Yes, a lot of things that we use are unnecessary but we are the ultimate consumer culture. Saran Wrap is more common now, but not too long ago it wasn't used in Europe very much.

Sorry, going OT a little but does anyone else here eat raw eggs? Well, I do sometimes...(on rice with some soy sauce). So I'd rather be safe than sorry and keep the eggs in the fridge...don't wanna eat rotty eggs and get sick.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Lil

I keep eggs in the fridge but they are best cooked from room temperature, especially for baking and meringues, so I take them out an hour or so before I want to use them.

And I really wouldn't eat old eggs. They go all thin and runny, if you fry them they spread right across the pan and go flat and you certainly can't poach them because they just dissolve in to the water.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

I was unaware that eggs had to be refridgerated at least that is what is said here in the states. Back in the 90's I had a small fridge you know the one's that fit in a college dorm and I just didnt have room for eggs so I would leave them on my counter. Never got sick. When I told my mom she freaked out.
    My husband said the same as Zorbeet, 2 wks max past the exp. date.

A*O

How To Test If Your Egg Is Fresh/OK

Just pop it in a beaker/bowl of cold water. If it sinks to the bottom and lies on its side it's very fresh. If it sinks but stays upright it's still OK but not as fresh. If it floats it's off, throw it away. (It's all about the gas rotting eggs produce). If you break an egg into bowl for scrambling etc and the yoke breaks or it seems 'watery' I wouldn't risk it and obviously if it smells then it's bad.

I keep eggs in the fridge, but always buy free range so I do the 'water test' just in case. However, I've never seen eggs kept in the fridge in the supermarket or grovery store so perhaps it's not essential. Before we got the dogs we had a couple of chooks scratching around in the back yard and their daily fresh eggs were the BEST I've ever tasted.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

We kept a few chickens when I was a kid, and I don't know what they ate, but to me the yolks always tasted like grass. It really grossed me out, to the point where I will rarely eat an egg, unless it's incorporated into something else.

The bf's family is of chinese descent, so they're always trying to foist those damn century eggs on me So far I've managed to stay the hell away. It's only a matter of time, though, I'm sure

Have you ever seen/heard of the Filipino preserved egg? I heard that it actually has a partially formed chick embryo with a crunchy beak in it.

Thanks Moomies
    I have a pretty strong stomach but the image of someone breaking into an egg with a partially formed chick and a crunchy beak is gonna make me yak my lunch. HEHEHEHE

My MIL said she used to eat those! The bf says he remembers them from when he was little.

Not a f*cking chance would I eat that!

Quote Originally Posted by moomies
    Have you ever seen/heard of the Filipino preserved egg? I heard that it actually has a partially formed chick embryo with a crunchy beak in it.
    Yes! I love eggs and have never thrown any away. I keep them in the fridge of course...if they are old I boil them. They are so cheap here..especially when on sale. Of course we are surrounded by egg 'factory farms' which pollute everything within a few miles of them and attract billions of flies in the summer to the mountains of chicken manure..
    A few years ago a tornado hit one of these farms and killed about two million chickens!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Yes! It's called "Balut" (buh-loot) - usually it's a duck egg. It's wildly popular as an 'aphrodisiac' as well as a snack, and is typically sold by street stall vendors, although you can get it pickled or preserved in jars. I tried the fresh version once when I visited Manila - it's like a boiled egg, only crunchier. lol I won't be adding that to my grocery list any time soon, though.
    Claude os, aperi oculos!

Sorry, going OT a little but does anyone else here eat raw eggs? Well, I do sometimes...(on rice with some soy sauce). So I'd rather be safe than sorry and keep the eggs in the fridge...don't wanna eat rotty eggs and get sick.
    I used to eat raw eggs when i first started to weight train. It's a very required taste to eat those and be able to stomach them without throwing up, but once I got used to it they were good. But I stopped because I was getting a little too gassy for my liking.heh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information