Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: From "Big Night" 1996 film - The Pasta Dome - Timpano

Default From "Big Night" 1996 film - The Pasta Dome - Timpano

I'm watching Big Night with Stanley Tucci, Isabella Rossellini and an all star cast.

The chef is preparing this for the guests at a private dinner in the restaurant.

Mario Batali said it takes 25 hours to prepare. Is this the Italian Turducken?

Here are some of the ingredients… provolone, salami, your best homemade mini meatballs, hard boiled eggs, ziti pasta ( 3 lbs. cooked very al dente), Romano cheese, and homemade sauce. All the components can be cut up, cooked and ready to go before assembly, just bring everything to room temperature.
    The dough is easily made in the food processor, just follow their recipe in the book and it comes out perfect every time! This too, can be made in advance and ready to go ahead of time, but this also needs to be at room temp. Roll it out very thin and drape the pan, everything is going to be wrapped inside it. Start layering everything , first the sauce…. pasta… provolone… salami…..
    Meatballs…Romano cheese… more sauce… you get the picture! It takes time, but remember there’s 3 lbs. of pasta here, and well worth the process!! not to mention, it’s going to feed lots of people!
    Almost to the top, but not quite!
    Filled to the brim! Cover everything up and trim the excess dough. Now it is ready for the oven!!
    It bakes for 1 1/2 hours, it has to rest for 30 minutes in the pan, see how golden brown it gets??
    Then you invert it over on a board and let it rest for at least another 1/2 an hour, you can even go a whole hour. Because of the long resting time, you could see how great this would be to bring to a party, you won’t have to worry about it getting cold at all. In fact, I think the longer it rests the better it tastes.

I love me some pasta but this does not look appetizing.

wtf?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

i'd eat it. The eggs seem a bit out of place, but i'd give it a whirl.

Oh my.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Reminds me a little of pastitsio. Different ingredients, but the same look to the pasta.

KrisNine likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

^^I'd eat that too. It's like pasta cake!! Yum!

I think Giada made one of these too. Pasta AND bread crust? Ick.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Carby goodness. I want a slice. It could be because I'm feeling hormonal but yeah....pasta cake....nnooooommmm
    BITTER likes this.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

I liked Big Night, but my favorite Restaurant movie is Dinner Rush.
    I wonder why the Timpano supposedly takes 25 hours to prepare? Even if you simmer your marinara for 4-5 hours, you could make the meat balls and dough and cut everything else up in the meantime, so you'd be ready to fill the dough once the sauce is done. I could see it taking maybe 8 hours from start to finish, but not 3 times that long.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

I watched this movie in the theater when it first came out.
    I remember the dinner party but not this dish in particular, it looks a little too much for my taste.

At a dinner everyone would just have one thin slice. I would have to try it.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    I wonder why the Timpano supposedly takes 25 hours to prepare? Even if you simmer your marinara for 4-5 hours, you could make the meat balls and dough and cut everything else up in the meantime, so you'd be ready to fill the dough once the sauce is done. I could see it taking maybe 8 hours from start to finish, but not 3 times that long.
    I don't know about 25 hours either, but this is Mario's recipe from The Chew website. There is a LOT of prep...3 different sauces, meatballs, dough, preparing the pasta....probably something you might want to spread out over a couple days. All I can say is, if I went to all that trouble, it better be the best fucking thing I ever ate in my life, and I bet it's really not. But I would definitely taste it if someone else did all the work! Hell, even though the hubs loves my lasagne, I try to limit that to once a year, twice tops. IMO, it's a lot of work for so little payoff because I don't love it as much.

Mario Batali's Timpano Di Maccheroni - The Chew - ABC.com
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

like most italian dishes there are regional versions. in some areas the timballo is made from risotto and pigeon....
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

yuck. whether there are pigeons in it or not!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information