Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Greek recipes

Default Greek recipes

Mel suggested Effie and I could put some recipes here so they can be found easily. Non Greeks are totally welcome to share their recipes for Greek foods or ask for recipes and we'd be glad to help.

To start with, my tzatziki:

Find some strained Greek yoghurt,whatever is available in your country. Not low fat and make sure it's not blueberry flavoured or something (yuck)
    Crush 2-3 cloves of garlic and stir them in the yoghurt.
    Grate an unpeeled cucumber on a plate and wring the excess moisture with your hands. Afterwards stir it in the yoghurt.
    Add some red wine vinegar (not a lot, around a tablespoon)
    And if you want, you can also stir in a little olive oil.
    Sprinkle dill on top and you're ready
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Thank you!
    (posting so I see ALL your updates!)
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Mel suggested Effie and I could put some recipes here so they can be found easily. Non Greeks are totally welcome to share their recipes for Greek foods or ask for recipes and we'd be glad to help.

To start with, my tzatziki:

Find some strained Greek yoghurt,whatever is available in your country. Not low fat and make sure it's not blueberry flavoured or something (yuck)
    Crush 2-3 cloves of garlic and stir them in the yoghurt.
    Grate an unpeeled cucumber on a plate and wring the excess moisture with your hands. Afterwards stir it in the yoghurt.
    Add some red wine vinegar (not a lot, around a tablespoon)
    And if you want, you can also stir in a little olive oil.
    Sprinkle dill on top and you're ready
    just how i make it,but a bit of salt wouldnt hurt..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

And next ,Effie,s chicken that i invented and i know Yanna loves.Easy and healthy.
    Two packs chicken breast diced,5 big garlic cloves,juice of two large lemons ,one cup olive oil,a large handful of fresh parsley,salt and black pepper to season.
    Spread washed and diced chicken in a baking pan.Put all the rest in a blender and mix it until you have a thick green sauce but some garlic pieces are still visible.
    Spread sauce on top of the chicken,salt and pepper,mix it real good.If you marinate it over night you will have better taste.Bake medium until meat is cooked.Serve with green salads and fresh bread.

Haha, yeah, of course use some salt too. I never mention it because I use extremely little salt. In many cases we just add salt on top. Whenever we order or eat out now the food tastes so salty that we end up drinking a ton of water after.

I vouch for Effie's chicken. It's extra yummy.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

I am in an no salt diet and no one cares in my house,i have a left over salt for more than a year.I dont forget it though..i miss it when i cook!

fgg

i plan on making both of those recipes in the near future - thank you!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

YUMMMYYY!!! Thanks and keep em coming.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

This is going to be my new favorite thread.

Oh, just remembered, I have mentioned them before but thought I'd provide a proper recipe:

Oven baked vegetables:

Cut some broccoli, cauliflower and carrots (or if you're lazy like me, open a bag of frozen broccoli, cauliflower and carrots)
    Cover a pan with some baking paper to minimise cleanup and lay the vegetables on it
    Pour on the vegetables:
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/3 cup white wine

and season them with cumin and salt

Bake for as long as you like, I do 180 Celsius for about half an hour to 40 minutes. I prefer it if my veggies are not too cooked

Excellent to serve with fish and a very low calorie and utterly delicious option.
    McJag and KrisNine like this.

A*O

That's tonight's dinner taken care of then. Would it be sacrilege to add a bit of mint to the tzatziki Yanna? And I might try Effie's chicken only with fish? Sorry, I can't help tweaking recipes.

Also, can we please have an authentic moussaka recipe? There seem to be millions out there but I'd like one straight from the horses mouth (as it were).
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I am not a fan of mint outside of toothpaste so I wouldn't do it but I am sure it would go great with it, A*O. Especially if you are going to eat it with lamb. I have seen a lot of versions of tzatziki and I don't judge. I wouldn't put carrot in it cause I think that's gross but some people like it. I've even seen people who can't find decent Greek yoghurt make tzatziki with sour cream and it turned out just fine.

A*O

No, carrot wouldn't work for me either. It would make it a nasty pink and too sweet. Oh, speaking of which, taramasalata? We are lucky to have a huge Greek community in Melbourne (the biggest outside Greece apparently) to sourcing authentic ingredients isn't a problem. Every shopping centre has a Con The Fruiterer and my wonderful fishmonger is Ari famous.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Ewwww, taramosalata, the nightmare of my childhood. So salty and fishy. And I like fish! Perhaps Effie can provide a recipe. If not, I can translate one for you, no prob.

NO mints in tzatziki,it will turn bitter,forget it.
    provided you can get tarama(the fish egg thing) from the greek grocey,it is very easy to make and i make a good one.
    So,for taramasalata,250 or 300 grms of tarama(i prefer pink one but white will do)a loaf of old bread juice of 2 lemons,cup of olive oil one very big red onion. Soak bread in water enough to soften it,blend onion cut in chunks adding some oil and lemon juice until creamy.squeeze with your hands all water off bread and add wet bread crumbs into the blender .Continue with the rest of the oil and lemon juice till all is nicely mixed into a pinkish tasty cream.Pour some oil on top and nail some kalamata olives to decorate.Do not forget to put tarama into the blender,i forgot to mention it...lol

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information