Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Tea Time

A*O

Default Tea Time

As a born and bred Brit I am of course a big tea drinker and with so many delicious varieties available these days I'd like to take tea with my other teaphiles. I cannot start my day without at least two large cups of tea (no milk, no sugar) and I probably have half a dozen more during the day, especially around 3pm when everything stops for tea and a dainty slice of cake (shop bought, what do you take me for) or a bikkie, preferably a McVities Digestive.

Favourites, in no particular order:

Nearly all the Twinings varieties, English Breakfast (natch), Lady (Earl is too strong) Grey, Orange Pekoe, Darjeeling, Prince of Wales, Russian Caravan but NOT Lapsang Souchong, ick.
    Japanese Green
    Chinese Green/Jasmine
    Lipton Jaipur Tea with Orange Peel (my latest discovery and quite delicious)

Just so you know, chai - any type - is Satan's urine.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I drink a ton of tea every day. I don't enjoy coffee much, but I make up for it with the amount of tea I take in. My absolute favorite is Constant Comment, followed closely by Earl Grey. I like the orange in both. I also love English Breakfast, English Teatime, Darjeeling, Oolong, Irish Breakfast, and flavored chamomiles at night to relax. I don't like anything in it and I like to steep it for a long time to make it very strong. My favorite brands are Twinings and Bigelow and I like a lot of their seasonal and specialty teas that seem to be particular to each brand. Have you ever tried any of those, A*O? Twinings usually comes out with a holiday tea around Christmas that I enjoy. Unsurprisingly, it has a lot of cinnamon and cloves.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

A*O

Hmmmm I don't really go for the clever flavoured teas. Because I take it without milk/sugar I prefer the subtle taste of the unadulterated product. And I hate it too strong, especially that drying effect of the tannin. A couple of minutes brewing tops. I'm not mad about fruit/herbal teas either but will take a camomile before bed if I need to wind down. Oh and ginger tea is very refreshing and settles a dodgy stomach.
    Dame Edna Everage

I quit coffee about 2 months ago because it was costing me a fortune - the coffee machine in the office is disgusting and buying soy cappuccinos adds up. I'm drinking a lot of tea instead.

I really like some of the Harney & Sons teas, they are expensive but you can buy them from Amazon for much less than retail. Their black teas are very delicate and delicious without milk. I like Chai - but only a nice one. You've probably seen the T2 tea shops in Oz? They're expensive and a lot of their teas are not really teas, but some are great including their Chai. Make it up with soy milk, honey or brown sugar, and a pinch of cinnamon and it's delish! I've never liked any of the supermarket variety Chais at all. I'm drinking a lot of green tea as well. All this tea makes you go to the bathroom a lot though!
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

A*O

I repeat, any kind of chai is Satan's urine and with soy milk?!?!? Are you MAD?!??? I knew that drug trafficker Lydia in Breaking Bad was doomed when she ordered chamomile tea with soy. Can you think of anything more revolting?
    faithanne and sputnik like this.
    Dame Edna Everage

I like chai, but I've only had it when my housemate brews it and I have to say it's so sugary I couldn't have it often. It's like a dessert. I love green, peppermint and cinnamon. In fact I was about to make a brew and I saw this thread! I think Twinings Lemon & Ginger is Satan's urine. Satan's urine when he has a UTI.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    And I hate it too strong, especially that drying effect of the tannin. A couple of minutes brewing tops.
    And this is where I confess that I use tea bags and not loose tea, as I suspect you probably do. It's just so easy to pop a bag in a cup.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

A*O

No, I use bags; I just don't like strong tea. But I do insist on brewing it in a teapot, not the cup/mug.

Twinings Lemon/Ginger is pretty foul I agree. I use a plain ginger from the local Asian store.
    Dame Edna Everage

I like English Breakfast, Earl and Lady Grey, Darjeeling, and Orange Pekoe as well. I do like a wee splash of milk in them, no sugar. I have to say I do love chai as well, although I don't just drink cups of it throughout the day - I might have one as like a dessert, sometimes with a little honey, sometimes without. I'm not the biggest fan of green, floral or fruit teas, although they're perfectly all right - just not my preference. I don't care for the tannin taste either, I like a weak brew.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

My tea preferences are almost the same as A*O's although I drink 3 cups max a day and no later than about 2.00 pm or 4.00 if I'm having arvo tea with someone. But I love mine strong and black rather than weak, so I leave the tea bag in for about 10 minutes. I also love Bushells Blue Label or billy tea because it's got that smoky flavour I love. I have an Earl Grey after lunch to satisfy my sweet craving (it replaces my lunchtime can of coke) and if I'm sick I'll drink lemon and ginger. Not a fan of sweet fruity teas but I don't mind camomile and I hate peppermint tea (but will eat peppermints). The tea gives me a filthy migraine even though I know people who swear by it for relieving headaches.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I must try hot tea. You all make it sound delicious.
    I drink a pitcher of iced tea daily. Louisianne.
    levitt likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I adore Iced Tea, without sugar/milk, but it's so hard to find over here (and I wouldn't have a clue where to start making it). I'm trying to stop drinking English Breakfast, just so I can cut down on milk and the possibility it's staining my teeth. I'd happily drink tons of it.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

lol its just black tea, refrigerated or cooled to room temp then add ice.

And don't you add 400 teaspoons of sugar?
    A*O likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Fuck off, no I don't!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information