Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Barilla Pasta Won't Feature Gay Families In Ads, Says Critics Can 'Eat Another Brand

Default Barilla Pasta Won't Feature Gay Families In Ads, Says Critics Can 'Eat Another Brand

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...ss&ir=Business

Barilla Pasta Won't Feature Gay Families In Ads, Says Critics Can 'Eat Another Brand Of Pasta'

The chairman of Barilla Group says his company will not feature gay families in advertisements for his products because he likes the "traditional" family. If someone disagrees, well, they can go "eat another brand of pasta."

Guido Barilla made the anti-gay comments during an interview with La Zanzara on Radio24 Wednesday. The radio host asked him why his company does not have ads with gay families.

"We have a slightly different culture," Barilla said, per a Huffington Post translation of the interview. "For us, the 'sacral family' remains one of the company’s core values. Our family is a traditional family. If gays like our pasta and our advertisings, they will eat our pasta; if they don’t like that, they will eat someone else’s pasta. You can’t always please everyone not to displease anyone. I would not do a commercial with a homosexual family, not for lack of respect toward homosexuals – who have the right to do whatever they want without disturbing others – but because I don’t agree with them, and I think we want to talk to traditional families. The women are crucial in this."

Barilla said he respects people's right to do what they want without disturbing others, but that he does not agree with gay adoption.

"I respect same-sex marriage because that concerns people who want to contract marriage, but I absolutely don’t respect adoptions in gay families, because that concerns a person who is not the people who decide," he added.

After his comments hit the press, he took to Twitter to apologize for the misstep,tweeting: "I apologize very much for having offended the sensibilities of many. I have the deepest respect for all the people without distinction."

John Aravosis of the pro-equality American Blog isn't buying Barilla's apology:

Yeah, freedom of expression. Anti-gay bigots, and conservatives generally, usually misunderstand the concept of freedom of expression to mean that they get to say any inanity with impunity. Doesn’t work that way. Barilla absolutely has the right to say that Barilla pasta is for straight people. And we have the right to tell him to vaffanapoli.

Activists are now demanding a boycott against Barilla, which is the world's largest pasta producer, according to Italy's Gazzetta del Sud. The protest became a trending topic on Twitter shortly after Barilla's remarks aired, with the hashtag #boicottabarilla.

"Here we have another example of homophobia, Italian style," left-wing Italian politician and LGBT activist Alessandro Zan said, according to the report. "I'm boycotting Barilla and I invite other MPs...to do the same. I've already changed pasta brands. Barilla is terrible quality."

Rich Ferraro, Vice President of Communications for GLAAD, told The Huffington Post in an emailed statement:
    "These insulting anti-gay comments will not only lead to LGBT people skipping Barilla in favor of more inclusive brands like Bertolli, but their family members, friends and co-workers as well. Homophobia is bad for business - plain and simple. Mr. Barilla's opinion is ill informed, and he will soon learn that the new traditional family accepts gay and lesbian families and does not support companies that promote discrimination."

Other global companies -- like Microsoft, PepsiCo, Starbucks and Disney -- have come out in support of gay rights and marriage equality. Back in March, Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz told anti-gay shareholders of Starbucks stock that they can sell their stock.

Schultz's comments followed a boycott from the National Organization for Marriage after the coffee brand supported same-sex marriage legislation.

A media representative for Barilla could not be immediately reached for comment.

Last edited by Seth82; September 26th, 2013 at 11:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Thank you for the suggestion, Barilla. I do believe that I will only eat other brands, now.

"We have a slightly different culture," Barilla said, per a Huffington Post translation of the interview. "For us, the 'sacral family' remains one of the company’s core values. Our family is a traditional family. If gays like our pasta and our advertisings, they will eat our pasta; if they don’t like that, they will eat someone else’s pasta. You can’t always please everyone not to displease anyone. I would not do a commercial with a homosexual family, not for lack of respect toward homosexuals – who have the right to do whatever they want without disturbing others – but because I don’t agree with them, and I think we want to talk to traditional families. The women are crucial in this."

OK so 2 lesbians would be twice as good right?

Barilla said he respects people's right to do what they want without disturbing others, but that he does not agree with gay adoption.

"I respect same-sex marriage because that concerns people who want to contract marriage, but I absolutely don’t respect adoptions in gay families, because that concerns a person who is not the people who decide," he added.

The gay child born into a heterosexual family also doesn't have a choice, does he?
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

Didn't eat it before sure won't eat it now.
    Serendipity and Just Kill Me like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I was already eating Great Value, but thanks for validating that.
    BITTER likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Son of a bitch. No more Barilla in my house.
    BITTER likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I was already eating Great Value, but thanks for validating that.
    That's right, boo, gimme my fucking Wal-mart-assed pasta. Fuck Barilla with one of Paris Hilton's used sex toys!
    Laurent and Mivvi21 like this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    "I would not do a commercial with a homosexual family, not for lack of respect toward homosexuals – who have the right to do whatever they want without disturbing others – but because I don’t agree with them, and I think we want to talk to traditional families. The women are crucial in this."
    OK so 2 lesbians would be twice as good right?
    I'm thinking that the kind of ass who would say any of this probably thinks of women as second class citizens who are only needed for breeding anyway. It would never occur to them to include them in this chat about "the gays," because the women need to keep their ass barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen making spaghetti, thank you very much.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

To Guido Barilla
    Serendipity likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

I was actually pretty brand loyal to them before this so they lost a dedicated customer with this shit.
    BITTER likes this.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Well fuck, I have 4 boxes in my cabinet!

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    Well fuck, I have 4 boxes in my cabinet!
    You could always arrange them in "interesting" shapes, take some photos and send them to the company. Macaroni art, lots of glitter...
    DeChayz and Just Kill Me like this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

That's alright, I use Ronzoni anyway.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

No problem, Barilla. Thanks for the heads-up, dumbasses! Staying away from you starting NOW.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Seth82 View Post
    To Guido Barilla
    You can't fool me! That's my Ida Morgenstern!

Guido is already do the apology tour:

The president of Barilla is apologizing for saying that he would never use a gay family in the pasta maker's ads. Guido Barilla said in an Italian radio interview that his pasta is for the traditional family and said gay people could eat another pasta if they did not like his message.

"We accept his invitation to not eat his pasta," said Aurelio Mancuso, president of gay-rights group Equality Italia, in a statement in Italian. Boycotting Twitter users shared the hashtag #boicottabarilla, or "boycott Barilla."

But Barilla quickly walked back his comments.

"With reference to remarks made yesterday to an Italian radio program, I apologize if my words have generated controversy or misunderstanding, or if they hurt someone's sensitivity," Guido Barilla said in a statement. "In the interview I simply wished to underline the central role the woman plays within the family."

Gay marriage is not legal in Italy.

He added, "For clarity, I would like to point out that: - I have the utmost respect for anyone, without distinction of any kind.

- I have the utmost respect for gay people and for everyone's right to express themselves. I've also said -- and I would like to reiterate -- that I respect gay marriages.

- In its advertising, Barilla represents the family - because it's what welcomes everyone and what has always been identified with our brand."

Privately held Barilla Group says the company was created in 1877 and owns 30 production sites around the world and exports to more than 100 countries. Its brands include Barilla, Mulino Bianco, Voiello, Pavesi, Academia Barilla, Wasa, Harrys in France and Russia; Misko in Greece; Filiz in Turkey; and Yemina e Vesta in Mexico.

Barilla President Apologizes After Saying He Would Not Use Gays in Pasta Ads - ABC News

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information