Thread: Organic Produce?

Silver Member

Default Organic Produce?

Does anyone here buy organic produce and do you think it is worthwhile, an issue I have been wondering about.

Red face Re: Organic Produce?

I buy organic stuff when I can. I just read an article about the fact that produce has much less vitamins these days compared to 30 years ago. Someone wrote a book about it (vague, I know, but my memory is shot), and said a tomato now is basically a red tennis ball, and that although potatoes used to have Vitamin A, they don't anymore.

I would hope that organic produce has a few more nutrients, but who really knows? At least you're getting fewer pesticides.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Re: Organic Produce?

I also try to buy organic whenever possible. With certain fruits like strawberries, I can totally tell the difference and quality in taste.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I too try to buy organic everything when possible.....the hard part is affording it on a consistant basis. I have purchased organic produce, but not recently. I try to buy organic food for my daughter, like crackers, oatmeal, and when she was younger, baby food. Its hard though....its sometimes double the price...and that SUCKS.
    I also read an article recently (I believe it was Consumer Reports) discussing Organic products and how they are labled and the difference in the labeling. Unless a product says it is 100% Organic, its not truly considered organic and can have numerous fillers/additives in it that are NOT organic or consistant w/organic practices. A product can say simply 'Organic' and its not...it apparently needs to have the 100% there......so that just adds MORE confusion. AHHHHH!
    They cannot make it easy can they??? Or cheap.

In general, if you can find and afford it, organic produce is the way to go. The pesticides and environmental implications, along with the taste, provide a lot of advantages. Bananas, berries, melons and apples especially - if they're not organic, then I go without.

On the other hand, there are many health experts who believe that there are some thing not worth buying organic, such as cosmetics and seafood.

Personally, I buy all organic produce, meats and dairy products. I also stock up on European jams, cereals, cookies and dry goods - they tend to be purer or have fewer ingredients (preservatives), are lower in sugar or fat, and remind me of my childhood.

Here are links to a few articles:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...8129_mz070.htm

http://lifestyle.msn.com/FoodandEnte...53025&GT1=7112

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/117/112503
    Claude os, aperi oculos!

Produce usually has PLC stickers on it. If the numbers begin with a 4 it is conventionally grown, meaning with pestisides. If the numbers begin with 9 it is organic.. If they begin with 8, it is genetically modified.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Lil

I buy organic meat, dairy and veg. I don't want to eat pesticides, growth hormones and antibiotics, and I also have concerns about the way animals used for mass produced, too-cheap meat are treated. Incidentally it has been illegal to import American beef to Europe for years because of the cocktail of growth hormones most producers use to speed maturity.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...e=reuters&ct=5

There's a massive row been going since the late 1990s over whether the ban is legal or necessary, but I don't want to eat it either way.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

I never usually get it. It too much $$$. Can you really taste and feel the differnce? (Feel as in feling better not the way the produce feels)
    "Imagination is more important then knowledge..." -Albert Einstein

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

For me, I could really tell the difference between regular strawberries and organic ones, they are sweeter and much more fragrant. Not sure about other produce and I don't particularly feel better but that's just cuz I'm not all that healthy

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

SVZ

You can definetly taste the difference, but it's so expensive

I can definitely taste it. Especially broccoli and melons.

I try to buy organic especially root veggies.

They don't have the article online but I just found this great chart in a magazine that lists the produce w most pesticides that you should really buy organic. It was in this month's Eating Well magazine.
    SPECIAL REPORT
    Organics: Are They
    Worth It?
    A consumerís guide to weighing the options at the produce bin
    By Peter Jaret

Thread Information