Thread: Toaster suggestion- have toaster from hell

Zee

Default Toaster suggestion- have toaster from hell

In the past 6 months, I have purchased 3 toasters. Can not find one that actually toasts bread to a nice golden brown. Bought a cuisinart that made charcoal , one that warmed bread and a kitchen aid that would charcoal or not toast on the same setting.

I just want to be able to make nice golden brown toast. Does anyone have any suggestions? We need to be able to make 4 slices at a time.

Thanks so much.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

A*O

Default Re: Toaster suggestion- have toaster from hell

Don't start me on toasters. We had a perfectly good one that, admittedly, had to be watched because it tended to burn the toast without warning. MrAO, in a fit of huge generosity, went out and bought a new one but being a bloke he went for the cheapo "Manager's Daily Special" ex-display model in the shop. This piece of crap takes about 6 mins to get a single slice even slightly brown and the pop-up mechanism is more like a gentle pffffffffft. I am going out today to buy something that actually does the job. Moral: Men, know your limits, DO NOT buy kitchen equipment.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I had a wonderful bagel toaster which made perfect toast, it died. I bought a new toaster at JC Penny, a Toastmaster. What a piece of crap. Only toasts one side of the bread. Grrrr! So I use my toaster oven now, but it comes out too dry.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

With toasters - as with a lot of other small appliances (blenders come to mind) - you get what you pay for, unfortunately.

There are those who swear by the European toasters - i.e., Dualit. They are horridly expensive ($200-300!) but allegedly last several lifetimes.

They do have a sub-premium toaster tha might be worth trying...@ $70 from Chef's catalogue, I think.

If you're really going for a nice, even golden toast...4 or more at a time...try the oven - 375 for 10 minutes, on a pan.
    Claude os, aperi oculos!

Zee

Been broiling bread. I thought we were the only family having this problem.

Willing to spend the money to get toast. Stupid technology. Man on the moon, fake boobs and frozen eyebrows. But I can't get golden toast.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Used to have the same problem with toasters. Burned through two or three quickly before I broke down and spent a little money on a nicer one. I got a Krups toaster for around 70 bucks and it's been good for the last year, toasts evenly, has four big slots that even fit bagels and you can adjust how dark you like everything.

I bought an 'el cheapio £5 pound job two years ago, it is by no means the best but it does its job, sure one side may cook quicker but its just toast at the end of the day. I've seen those expensive toasters and to be honest I'd rather spend my money on something more important.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tenaj
    I bought an 'el cheapio 5 pound job two years ago, it is by no means the best but it does its job, sure one side may cook quicker but its just toast at the end of the day. I've seen those expensive toasters and to be honest I'd rather spend my money on something more important.
    I would normally agree with you and I used to think that way about toasters until I sat down one day and added up the costs of buying a new cheapest model every 6 months and realized it would have been cheaper in the long run for me to have broken down and bought an expensive one in the first place. I have kids, kids that are rough on things like appliances, so for me it makes sense. But if I was young and unmarried and not making toast for an army I'd just buy the cheapest one.

Lil

Toasters are crap. They get full of nasty crumbs, they clutter up the kitchen and they don't even make decent toast. Use the grill, and make sure it is really hot before you even think about putting the bread under it.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

I use the toaster oven and it works great. You can set it for the darkness you like and it beeps when it's ready. I also have an old-fashioned chrome toaster that fits two slices -- the kind that open on either side, very funky -- that makes perfect toast but you HAVE to watch it. It's quick, tho.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I've retired my toaster. I just use a teflon frying pan and fry the bread. It's yummier than toaster toast.

Thread Information