Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By *DIVA!

Thread: Bridal gown wedding cake

Default Bridal gown wedding cake

Lots of little girls dream of one day wearing the perfect wedding dress.
    But when six-year-old Hannah Millington-Day designed this elegant ivory number, she was thinking about eating it.
    She came up with the idea for a life-sized, edible bridal gown when she saw a picture of her mother’s wedding dress.

Donna Millington-Day and her daughter Hannah - who challenged her mother to create this life sized wedding cake - add the final touches

A sweet treat: The six-foot edible bridal gown is made from 17 tiers of sponge cake, 22 kilos of sugar paste icing and 2lb of royal icing

A feast for all: Decorated from hundreds of sugar pearls, the cake would cater for over 2,000 wedding guests

Then it was down to her mother Donna, a confectioner, to bake it.
    She used a whopping 224 free-range eggs, 28lb of flour, 28lb of caster sugar and 28lb of butter, and spent a whole week cooking.
    The result – worth £6,000 – is 6ft tall and made of 17 tiers of sponge cake. It is topped with 49lb of sugar paste icing, 2lb of royal icing and hundreds of sugar pearls.
    It is filled with 17lb of Madagascan vanilla butter cream and around 7lb of raspberry jam.
    And it could feed as many as 2,000 guests – if anyone can bring themselves to cut into it.
    Mrs Millington-Day, 36, said: ‘Hannah was going through my old wedding photos when she suggested we recreate my dress. I thought it was a great idea.
    ‘Although it’s not an exact replica I have taken the details like the corset and styling on the side.

Creator: Donna Millington-Day was inspired by her six-year-old daughter's drawing of a wedding dress cake

Challenge: Donna decided to rise to the challenge of bringing her daughter's design to life and one week later the stunning ivory dress heavily embellished with iced flowers and weighing in at 25 kilos was finished

‘The satin finish was achieved using a pearl lustre and each swirl was hand-piped.’
    Mrs Millington-Day runs the Fairytale Cake Company with her husband of eight years, Myles.
    The couple, of Wombourne, Staffordshire, also have a son Edward, aged two.
    The enormous sweet treat was unveiled yesterday at the start of the National Wedding Show at the NEC in Birmingham.
    To get it there, a trolley was custom-made to fit its 30in base.
    But it won’t be on the move too often. Mrs Millington-Day said: ‘We’re not going to sell the cake, but to buy it would cost around £6,000.
    ‘After the show we’re going to display it in our shop window.’

Read more: Donna Millington-Day creates bridal gown wedding cake with 17 tiers, 22 kilos of sugar paste and feeds 2,000 people | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The cake looks knocked up.

It's cool somebody has the patience and creativity to do this and all, but IMO it's kind of an awful idea for a wedding cake. I don't like weddings where it's basically an ode to the bride and the groom is forgotten in the shuffle, and this cake represents the bride, not the couple. But hats off to the person who designed it (the 6 year old?), it's way more figuring and planning than I could ever do.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Lots of talent in that shop. I've always found it unsettling to cut into and eat a cake that looks human. I wonder exactly how she can keep this on display in her shop without it breaking down relatively soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchywoman View Post
    I've always found it unsettling to cut into and eat a cake that looks human.
    Yes, like cannibalism. At least it isn't red velvet.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Mmm. Red velvet...but, I agree, I think it's creepy too, especially after half the cake is missing.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I think it's an awesome cake. You wouldn't think it would last long in the shop window. I think I'd try and sell it.

I think it was a great idea! Lucky to have a talented Mum. I think they ought to sell slices (I'd buy one!) and donate the money. At least everyone can see it in the window. That little girl is a doll and you can see how proud she is!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I want the rainbow cake in the background!!
    MmeVertigina likes this.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by Witchywoman View Post
    I wonder exactly how she can keep this on display in her shop without it breaking down relatively soon.
    The fact that she has her whole hand on the cake's torso in that first picture makes me think that it's probably preserved in some way that renders it not, or barely, edible.

And I agree that the cake looks up the duff.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Bronze Member

Wow, what talent!!!!!!

Why do I have this strange feeling that an imminent news headline is: three people killed as 300 kg wedding cake comes crashing on top of them as guest mistakenly cuts large slice from bottom of cake.

Fabulous publicity !
    Free Charmed.

Bronze Member

I was expecting one of those Barbie princess cakes where the skirt is cake, but this is amazing!!!

Usually cake decorators will use dummy cakes (Styrofoam) and cover it with fondant and royal icing, each of which has a very long shelf life. It's a very common practice. If they truly made it out of cake at first, there's no way for it to maintain it's shape over time. Any display would have to be made of dummy cakes.

Thread Information