Thread: Chef cooks endangered animals and Mexicans

Default Chef cooks endangered animals and Mexicans

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/Issue...feature_1.html

This is so wrong on so many levels! And be sure and read the last page.

Default Re: Chef cooks endangered animals and Mexicans

Rich people are weird. "Ain't no fun having lots of money if you can't break all the rules."

Let's hope a few rare brain diseases get passed along to the diners.....

Museum of hoaxes says it isn't real. Thankfully!

The Extreme Cuisine of Chef Kaz Yamamoto

Todd emailed me a link to this Phoenix New Times article about rogue chef "Kaz" Yamamoto, whose specialty is creating dishes from "meat, game and vegetation that's considered off limits, immoral or even illegal." We're talking about dishes such as Tenderloin of Bichon Frise, monkey brain stew, Arizona saguaro cactus salad, Yosemite brown bear, rhino genitals, giraffe tongue, Sea World sea lion (supposedly obtained by bribing a Sea World employee), etc. Yamamoto even claims to serve human flesh, obtained by paying Mexican immigrants a handsome sum for their kidney, arm, or leg. These delicacies are all served to a rich and powerful clientele who have a taste for forbidden food.

As Todd points out, this sounds a bit farfetched (and very reminiscent of the plot of The Freshman), but then again the Phoenix New Times is a real, credible paper. So why would they be making all this up? The answer is that the Phoenix New Times occasionally likes to print hoax stories. Back in 2004 I posted about their article on human taxidermy, which described a company that offered freeze-drying of corpses as an alternative to burial or cremation. (You could stand freeze-dried Grandma in the corner of your living room.) Human taxidermy was a hoax, and so is the extreme cuisine of Kaz Yamamoto. Clues (besides the outlandish nature of the article itself) are the photoshopped pictures (such as the one of Yamamoto cutting down a protected saguaro cactus) and the "Details" box which reads "Special Reports: As If. . .".
    http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/w...comments/4190/

It inspired this photoshop contest:
    http://www.freakingnews.com/images.asp?contest_id=1021

and from this blog wondering if it was real:
    (http://kellysearsmith.livejournal.com/28207.html)

Reply from Arizona Attorney General's Office:

Dear Kelly:

Thank you for your letter. You're right that the Phoenix New Times article is outrageous, but it is also a hoax. The paper has a tradition of publishing fictitious stories like this one every year or so. After I saw the story, I called a friend who is a longtime reporter at the paper, and he confirmed the story was phony.

Another giveway: Near the end, the story says PETA was contacted for comment but had none. I'm familiar with PETA, and this never happens. I sent them a link to the story, and they sent a letter to New Times. I thought you might like to see it, so it's pasted below.

Sincerely,

Steve M. Wilson
    Director of Communications
    Arizona Attorney General's Office

Dear Editor,

Regarding the article "Xtreme Cuisine" on chef Kaz Yamamoto (May 11), we at People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) would like to thank the author for making it clearer than ever that eating flesh from any animal-human, endangered, domesticated companion, or otherwise-is morally backwards. Indeed, for the animals who are tortured and consumed by the billions each year in the U.S. alone, a dog is a pig is a giraffe is a tuna. From bichon frise to Bumblebee-bound fish, each of these beings have their own interests and lives-and their day planners don't include being butchered by anyone, especially not a fictional chef whose gustatory preferences align him closer to Jeffrey Dahmer than Wolfgang Puck.

Unfortunately for the author, Stephen Lemons, his journalistic practices are on a similar track as his character's menus-a lot more Jayson Blair than Edward R. Murrow. Although imaginative in his fabrications, Lemons made the mistake of fudging a very simple detail-his attempts to contact PETA. No member of the media, no matter how controversial or inconsequential the issue at hand, is ever ignored by our hardworking Communications Department.

Mr. Lemons, we invite you and "Mr. Yamamoto" to visit www.VegCooking.com, where you will find a smorgasbord of daring dishes featuring that most exotic of ingredients: tofu.

A fellow blogger who investigated this article confirms the hoax (spoof / satire / joke) angle. Here's the phone message s/he reports receiving in return from Stephen Lemons, the author of the article:

“[This is Stephen Lemons] just returning your call. Just want you to know that the article you have read is a spoof/satire/parody. About every year or so, Phoenix New Times does a spoof. This year, this is the spoof we did. Basically, none of the article is true, it was meant to be a satire. And you may want to let anyone to know that. Like I said, if you have any other questions, feel free to give me a buzz back at (602) 229-8426. Thanks a lot, bye bye.”

The paper has also admitted that it isn't true and claims satire:
    "If we had it to do over, would we publish the satirical saga of Chef Kaz Yamamoto? Hell yes! Punk you, if you can't take a joke!"http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/Issues/2006-05-25/news/Bird.html
    Last edited by twitchy; June 29th, 2006 at 03:05 PM.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Can I still wish brain diseases on someone? I hate wasting curses, who knows how many I have left?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

The paper has also admitted that it isn't true and claims satire:
    "If we had it to do over, would we publish the satirical saga of Chef Kaz Yamamoto? Hell yes! Punk you, if you can't take a joke!"http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/Issues/2006-05-25/news/Bird.html
    I still feel a little insulted that the this fake story involved a Japanese chef, as if we (I'm Japanese) eat something so exotic and horrific as endangered animals (whales aside, that's a whole another discussion...and I've never eaten whale meaet!).

eta: wish someone from Arizona (where Mr, Yamamoto supposedly resides?) could confirm this.
    Last edited by moomies; June 29th, 2006 at 10:43 AM.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Well I guess I should cancel my hit on this guy.

Thanks!!!

What a weird-*ss story.
    Claude os, aperi oculos!

Thread Information