Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Waterslide
  • 1 Post By Waterslide
  • 1 Post By OrangeSlice
  • 1 Post By choozen1ne
  • 3 Post By msdeb

Thread: Barbie Cafe Opens in Taipei, Taiwan

Default Barbie Cafe Opens in Taipei, Taiwan

(CNN) -- Taiwan. Home to the first Hello Kitty-themed café, Hello Kitty-themed airplanes and now -- taking cute perhaps one step too far -- the world's first Barbie-themed restaurant.
    Licensed by U.S. toymaker Mattel, Taiwan restaurant company Sinlaku on Wednesday opened the Barbie Café on Zhongxiao road, one of the busiest shopping districts in the capital, Taipei.
    The café's decoration, costing TW$50 million (US$1.7 million), is mostly in suitably Barbie-style magenta and pink.
    The furniture couldn't be more princess-y -- bar tables look like the heel of a stiletto, chair backs resemble bustiers (some with a tutu) and chandeliers are shaped like elegant teapots and teacups with saucers. Barbie dolls and logos adorn walls and tabletops.

The restaurant also has a gigantic Barbie box allowing customers to step in and feel like a packaged up, life-size Barbie.
    Waitresses wear tutus and tiaras while their male counterparts try, mostly in vain, to look like Ken, Barbie's on-off squeeze.

Barbie's abnormally, and anatomically-challenging, slim figure may diminish some appetites. With that in mind, the restaurant menu has been designed by professional nutritionists, local media reported (Chinese). There's a calorie chart on the first page of the menu, with calorie data listed alongside each item.
    The menu itself is a hodgepodge of offerings, including Chicken toast box, Hazelnut tiramisu, Macaroons in martini glasses, Philadelphia steak salad, Salmon beauty salad and Barbie 128 (a pink drink named after the café's address). You can find photos of some menu items on this Chinese-language blog post.
    Sinlaku is planning a second Barbie Café in the central Taiwan city of Taichung and aims to introduce one in Shanghai, Wu ke-jing, the general manager of Sinlaku, said in a local media report on Chinatimes (Trad. Chinese only).
    Sinlaku also operates a Hello Kitty-themed café in Taipei, which opened five years ago. The Hello Kitty restaurant is slightly more expensive than Barbie Café with mains from TW$400 (US$14) compared to Barbie Café's mains from TW$250 (US$8). You can read our review of the Hello Kitty restaurant below.
    Please, if you have visited the Barbie Café let us know your experience.
    Tutus, tiaras and tiramisu: World's first Barbie restaurant opens - CNN.com

"Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

I would be doing my inner-3rd grader a great injustice by not going to this place if I had the chance. Same goes for the Hello Kitty airliner. I'd have to go at least once.
    OrangeSlice and Love love like this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Anyone else think this would be a great place to host a bridal or baby shower?

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    Anyone else think this would be a great place to host a bridal or baby shower?
    *raises hand*
    southernbelle likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I would be doing my inner-3rd grader a great injustice by not going to this place if I had the chance. Same goes for the Hello Kitty airliner. I'd have to go at least once.

I'm not even going to lie. Same here. Now my inner-3rd grader would do a cartwheel if they'd just make a Lisa Frank cafe.
    southernbelle likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    I'm not even going to lie. Same here. Now my inner-3rd grader would do a cartwheel if they'd just make a Lisa Frank cafe.
    I know. Why can't the world be all happy and look like that anymore? Now if they only made time machine cafes...Forget about the pyramids or Ancient Greece or China, I just want to relive being 8 at this point. lol
    ~Manx Mouse

There is a part of me that wants to decorate my house like the third and fourth picture . I have always wanted a real life Barbie Dream house and this cafe is pretty close . My inner third-grader would die and go to heaven in this place.
    OrangeSlice likes this.

Well, maybe we have enough people for a field trip?

Quote Originally Posted by choozen1ne View Post
    There is a part of me that wants to decorate my house like the third and fourth picture . I have always wanted a real life Barbie Dream house and this cafe is pretty close . My inner third-grader would die and go to heaven in this place.
    I always wanted at least 1 room like that...or even a closet. I can't help myself. It's not like I'd sic that on anyone else who had to live in the house or came over.....
    ~Manx Mouse

omg i don't know any of you
    greysfang, lacs and CornFlakegrl like this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Thread Information