Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Girl Scouts Unveil Newest Cookie

Default Girl Scouts Unveil Newest Cookie

Mango Creme Girl Scout Cookies Boast Questionable 'NutriFusion' Ingredient

Girl Scout cookie season is something thousands of cookie-lovers look forward to every year, despite the controversy the organization has met in recent years for using ingredients like palm oil. Likewise, when the Girl Scouts introduce a new cookie (or candy bar!), there's a fair amount of intrigue.

For the 2013 season, the Girl Scouts have introduced Mango Creme cookies, which at first glance looks like a nice addition to their repertoire. The cookie sandwich features a mango-flavored filling amongst vanilla and coconut cookie shells. The full title of the cookie is actually "Mango Cremes With Nutrifusion™." What is Nutrifusion™, you wonder? It is a combination of various ingredients and concentrates that provide some vitamins. Jezebel refers to it as "bullshit."

Let's be clear here -- even with Nutrifusion™, the Mango Cremes are still a cookie, not some sort of magical health food. In fact, a serving of three cookies gives you 20 percent of your daily saturated fat intake. While there is no high fructose corn syrup, there is palm oil, along with "nutrients from natural whole food concentrate of (cranberry, pomegranate, orange, grape, strawberry, shitake mushrooms)." We're guessing that's where the Nutrifusion™ comes in.

Health-wise, the Mango Cremes With Nutrifusion™ are slightly healthier than some other Girl Scout cookies (roughly three Mango Cremes are equivalent to two Tagalongs, based on saturated fat intake). The Girl Scouts claim the cookies feature "better for you" benefits thanks to the 15 percent Recommended Daily Intake (RDI) of Vitamin B1 and 5 percent RDI of Vitamins A, C, D, E, and B6 per serving."

These cookies may be delicious (we haven't tried them), but there's no need to force a square peg in a round hole here -- the "nutrients derived from fruits" don't suddenly turn a cookie into the health-equivalent of eating an apple. Let's just let a cookie be a cookie.

Last edited by witchcurlgirl; January 14th, 2013 at 03:45 PM.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

What dumb-ass eats Girl Scout cookies and worries about the nutritional value ? I know when I eat an entire box of Thin Mints (which is a yearly tradition ) I am not eating anything healthy no matter what creative language they put on the box to make me think otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

These cookies may be delicious (we haven't tried them), but there's no need to force a square peg in a round hole here -- the "nutrients derived from fruits" don't suddenly turn a cookie into the health-equivalent of eating an apple. Let's just let a cookie be a cookie.

this. i don't eat girl scout cookies because they're good for me, i eat them because i'm hungry and they taste good!

I'm with you guys, no one eats GS cookies to be healthy. I wish the Girl Scouts wouldn't feel the need to send out a mixed message like this. Like the article says, let a cookie be a cookie. I think it's important children know the difference between a treat and real food. When I was in GS, they really pushed learning to make actual healthy snacks involving fruits and veggies and I don't remember anyone needing it to be dumbed down into a cookie to make it palatable.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

My co-worker brought in her daughters girl scout cookie form for anyone that wanted to purchase any. I don't eat them myself anymore but I do like to look at the new cookies, but this wasn't one of them.

I swear to god, I'm NOT buying any GS cookies this year. My suppliers daughters grew out of GS anyway.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

My aunt in law is a massive control freak about a lot of things, but especially about food, like OCD about everything being organic, not getting fat, chemicals, freaks out when her kids (11 and 15) eat candy/unapproved food, etc. Anyway, her daughters were girl scouts so she would send out a mass email saying she was taking orders for her daughters, but how she didn't approve of people eating the cookies and listed all her "documention" showing how evil the cookies and whatnot.

Pass on the mango turd cookie. Bring on the Tagalongs!
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Vanilla, Coconut, & Mango? I'll take it!
    Brookie likes this.

If you never eat cookies how will your body ever really appreciate the healthly stuff.
    This is a once a year civic duty. One must support enterprising young ladies. One must bite the cookie and carry on, Tagalongs held high.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Samoas 4 Life! I don't have a "supplier" though lol. Gotta make my transaction in front of grocery stores.

i've never liked any GS cookie but the Thin Mints. i buy a shit load of them and put them in the freezer. I do believe i have a problem.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    . My suppliers .
    BEST way to describe it.

Unfortunately, my niece is still in "the mob". So, I guess I'll take a few boxes for the team, this year.
    Brookie likes this.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

I am usually attacked at the grocery store by well-meaning, giggling young ladies. I pleasantly give in and usually buy about six boxes - mostly Tagalongs. Would like to try the new "healthy" cookie though (ahem).
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I like Thin Mints and Caramel de Lites the best, but I love all of the classics. I usually buy a box each of Peanut Butter Patties, Peanut Butter Sandwiches, and Shortbreads, and two boxes each of Thin Mints and Caramel de Lites. I'm not big on the "special" flavors. I remember when I was in scouts we had Strawberries and Cream (a sugar thumbprint cookie with strawberry jam and sugar crystals in the middle) and Praline Royales. Both were discontinued, even though Strawberries and Cream was a big seller.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information